The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card College Lighter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4951 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
New book -Card College Lighter, goldmine of self working card tricks, sure!

http://www.hermeticpress.com/

Text from ad:
"Roberto Giobbi's newest survey of sleightless card magic, CARD COLLEGE LIGHTER, gives the famous Giobbi treatment to 21 baffling card tricks by some of the craft's greatest masters, including Vernon, Annemann, Leech, Maven, Fulves, Hummer, Vollmer and Krenzel. These tricks do not require sleights, but they all show the cunning perspective of a professional performer, guaranteeing astonishing and entertaining results."
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Thanks for the heads-up, Mats. Card College Light is an indispensable book, especially for amateur magicians. The presentations are top-notch and the moves very do-able. CCL lets us amateurs look like pros. I eagerly await this new book.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yes...thanks for the heads up. I've enjoyed CCL and look forward to the next installment.

Mark.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
If this is prepublication offer by December 31st 2008. Anyone know when this book will be delivered?
Steve James
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Steve James
Anyone know the routines?
shadowman
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of shadowman
Before December 31st
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4951 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 10:30, Steve James wrote:
Anyone know the routines?

Good question, Im very curious.
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of jtb
The December issue of Genii magazine is supposed to have a review of the book.

I am not a subscriber but apparently the December issue is out now.

John B.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Man I need to get moving, I still don't have Card College Light!
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Agent61,

What are you waiting for?! It's worth the 35 bucks, I promise!
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
The only gripe I had with 'Card College Light' was that Giobbi says in the preface that he 'has done away with abominable mathematical practices.' But many of the tricks require just that! In saying that, there are some good tricks if you don't mind the spectators handling your cards.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2008-12-07 22:18, johnscot777 wrote:
The only gripe I had with 'Card College Light' was that Giobbi says in the preface that he 'has done away with abominable mathematical practices.' But many of the tricks require just that! In saying that, there are some good tricks if you don't mind the spectators handling your cards.

True, also some effects have very unnatural way of selecting a card and often require huge set-ups while the same effect could be achieved in impromptu settings. (with minimum sleights)
And while the book is divided into routines, only few flow logically, for example the first one.
IMO, there are better places to look for self-working effects.
But I'll still be more then glad to buy Card College Lighter because Giobbi's patter and presentation for each effect is what makes up for the strength of the effects. A lot can be learned from the way he presents the effects even if I don't use them.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-12-08 09:21, Picard wrote:
...Giobbi's patter and presentation for each effect is what makes up for the strength of the effects. A lot can be learned from the way he presents the effects even if I don't use them.

Absolutely! This is - along with Giobbi’s wonderful style of writing - what saves the book from disaster. How many contrived (and sometimes tedious) methods of locating two selections does one need to know?

That said, this is the PERFECT book for an absolute beginner in card magic who wants to entertain his friends, but I'm sceptical as to whether these routines are 'professional.' Maybe the fault lies with me and the audiences I cater for..? Does anybody use these tricks professionally (i.e. paid shows)?
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
I do. Just look Tamariz perform Neither Blind Nor Stupid and you will understand how this routines can be powerfull.

Devilix
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
667 Posts

Profile of qkeli
I can guarantee that I 've been fooled badly by Roberto Giobbi with some of the effects in those trilogy, adaptatation is the way to go !
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6627 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I think the book has some usable stuff in it, but I don't put it in the same category as many magicians who rave about it. But I own it and like it.
manks123
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of manks123
Can't wait for it to arrive.

Stefan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card College Lighter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL