The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Identify these cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
idstroem
View Profile
New user
Sweden
15 Posts

Profile of idstroem
I recently had the privilige of coming across these cups. Aside from being stunningly beautiful, they fit my hands perfectly size- and weight wise, and I could not be happier.

However I have not been able to identify them yet - and I was hoping that one of the cup experts here would be kind enough to stop by and provide som insight.

Thank you in advance!

William
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Picture?
Eddie Ivan Torres
idstroem
View Profile
New user
Sweden
15 Posts

Profile of idstroem
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cupslg5.jpg

...sorry, havn't really got the hang of this yet. There we go!
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Maybe Johnson's in copper? My Brass Johnson's have a hallmark inside JPI think. Take alook
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
They are not Johnson Copper Cups. There were only 25 sets of those made, all with the JP hallmark. Also the cups in question were spun. Johnson Cups are machined from a billet.

Bill
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
No clue... But nice find... very nice cups.

They look kinda like Johnson coppers.. but the top is more rounded..

They look like sherwoods kinda with smaller beads..

They look like regular sized chick cups...

Squatty 2's...redheaded cousin????

Like I said I have not clue...

Shawn
Shawn.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know who made these, either. I have a set of them in the Museum, which I took to the Magic Circle Centenary, and nobody there knew who made them, either. Maybe one day someone will recognize them.

They aren't Johnsons, and they aren't Sherwoods.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
You might think this cups are squatty 2 or johnson because of the 3 shoulder bead,
but how can you think they are sherwoods when the have only 2 shoulders (beside the rim or lip)
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't think anyone here thinks they're Sherwoods. They don't have that special saddle design either.

Pretty rough spun too. Might make for a nice texture, but it looks as there was no effort to polish out the spin marks.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
They look like the JES Squatty 2 prototypes to me.
I say prototype due to the "rough spun" nature as Dave pointed out.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The spacing is different on the rings. Also, if these are the same cups I have, the metal is fairly lightweight for a copper cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

idstroem
View Profile
New user
Sweden
15 Posts

Profile of idstroem
These weigh about 110 grams, with a slight difference from cup to cup. How does that compare to other copper cups?
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
They're not JES 2 cups, the roller dad made spins all 3 beads in at the same time and there is no way to adjust them, they're a fixed set of rollers.

I'm not sure what Dave means by rough spin, they are really quite nice from a tooling line point of view. They look as if they were just polished with degreaser by hand after spinning rather than on a satin or abrasive wheel.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It does look like slight flaw just below the top ring.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I was just commenting on the grooves. You don't see those in highly polished cups like RNT2. Maybe rough was the wrong word.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Dave those are actually tooling lines from passes when spinning the copper on the form block. The polishing takes those lines out, a satin wheel will satin over them and essentialy just hide the tooling lines.

I didn't realize there was another picture, it looks as if they cracked the bead when rolling it in. I generally roll the shoulder beads in first because the metal has to go somewhere when you roll it, then roll the mouth bead on the cup.

I noticed that in between the beads there is a ledge left behind, these are really tough to avoid and polish out on cups when beading has this spacing restrictions.

So after seeing the second set of pictures, yes ROUGH is a very good word Smile
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
There was a gentleman about 5-10 years who made some cups exclusivly for Chris Smith of Magic Smith. I believe his name was Fohrman (Forman only spelled differently)?

I believe these are his. I had a set many years ago when I collected cups, but since sold them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks. I have been trying to identify these cups for a long time. I'll put that down tentatively.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Actually I may need to correct myself. Although I still think they are Fohrman (I know I had a set EXACTLY like these), I did a search and the description doesn't match. Unless the description provided by http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magcups.htm is out of date:

"Fohrman Cups. Bright Nickel or Gold Nickel flash plated with industrial gold as used on satellites. Designed with the working performer in mind. Each cup cut from a solid block of aluminum, polished, and electroless nickel plated to never tarnish, nick, or chip. Can take a tennis ball load. 6.75oz per cup. With four 1" red crotched balls, velvet drawstring bag. $330.00 Nickel, $495 Gold. Also available: Fohrman Jumbo Load Ball in Red or Green. 2.75 inch crotched tennis balls. $16 "

I'll call Chris and confirm. Thanks!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2008-11-06 08:44, DJG wrote:
Each cup cut from a solid block of aluminum....6.75oz per cup.

Wow, that's pretty heavy for an aluminum cup!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Identify these cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL