The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kicker the mechanical rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
This animated rabbit puppet, motorized so that it kicks and looks alive, used to be readily available but I've searched a number of the online dealers and in the Magic Café as well and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know of an online shop that carries this prop?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The one I remember as the "Kicker Rabbit" was not motorized, but operated on finger power.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
155 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
Kicker Rabbit, that brings back memories
it was a tannens item, 40 years ago, I don't know when they stopped making it, I just saying that's when I bought one from them, it also was not a puppet, but a spring animal, though it was hollow and open at the bottom, it was not made for you to put your hand into, even though you could, but you were not able to control his head or feet with your hand inside the body. But however you were able to do some of the typical "Rocky" kind of moves with the additional benefit, when you produced it, and held it by the back of the neck, there was a push button on the back of the neck that as you pressed it, and released it, the front legs of the rabbit would kick up and down, added a good effect of a live rabbit.
I used it for years. Funny note; an older lady (probally almost as old as I am now) came up to me after a show, and told me she was calling the SPCA on me, since I took that rabbit and stuffed it into a Grant's nightclub Dove vanish box, and made him disappear. Well a real rabbit that size, it would have been cruel to put it into a box that size, even if the box were not gimmicked. Well I was, I think 16 yrs old, and that ole lady scarred the jeebers out of me, that she was calling the authorities on me, so I reached into my trunk and brought out "kicker" to show her that it was not even real, I was not going to have that ole lady have me hauled off to jail, for some spring rabbit!
I then realized that I needed to change the perception of the vanish, and started to use a larger size box.

Moral of the story; "Don't make the illusion too good, or you may find yourself in trouble"
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I've never seen or heard of a motorized kicking rabbit. Yes, I also had one of those kicking rabbits from Tannen's a long time ago. It used real rabbit fur. The fur on mine decayed. What was left was that spring mechanism which was operated like pushing a syringe. It did look like a live kicking rabbit from the stage.
It's about time that someone produces a realistic looking motorized rabbit. Perhaps Axtell will.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I have the spring rabbit that is currently available on the market. It tends to look a little on the dead side, (skinny and sort of stretched-out). With enough wiggling, it can be pretty funny, though. Didn't Karrell Fox use this for a routine where the rabbit "sprayed " him ?

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Hey, thank you all! So, it isn't motorized but rather is plunger-and-spring operated. I didn't know that. I need one, however, and before I build my own out of some roadkill or a poor child's favorite snuggle toy ("Wanna see a rabbit disappear, kid?") I would gladly purchase one online. Anyone have a URL to a dealer site or does baby Kaylee lose "Mr. Fuzzy?"
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I have a "Robert the Rabbit" (I call him) from Magic Masters. Robert is Rocky's cousin.

I had them make me a special one with flopier feet.

You just hold him vertical and use your pinky to make his feet shake.

It looks histerical.

Robert can also eat extra food you missed on your shirt and can smell test you for deodorant.

When he does a smell check he usually faints.

Just don't tell your audience he is made out of REAL rabbit fur!

Or Pam Anderson will come to your house (is that a bad thing?) and beat the
---- out of you!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
You people are great. Nobody gave me a URL but you gave me the right keywords: "Spring Rabbit" which I Googled and came up with a zillion of the darned things at several dealer sites and with prices all over the board. Now I don't know which one to buy. I think the baby is asleep... I'll just swap out her fuzzy bunny with this cute fuzzy tarantula. She'll never miss it...
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Me again. Doh! I looked at all of the "Spring Rabbits" and none of them were the "Kicker" as Lou Hillario and Spellbinder mentioned but were, rather, puppets built around a spring form to allow "scrunch-down" concealment but otherwise required two hands to get a really animated effect.

I don't want that. I need a one-handed effect that kicks the lower legs using either one hand or a motorized mechanism. Seriously, dudes. Most of the above don't even have lower legs. I know I'm going to end up buying one of them on eBay then adding two rabbit feet from storebought keychains and improvising a scissors-action mechanism from some kitchen utensils but I'm still holding out hope that somebody, somewhere, sells a "Kicker" that fits my needs.

Baby Kaylee didn't care much for the tarantula. Nuts.
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
155 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
http://www.daytonamagic.com/Accessories/......20KICKER

check out this at Daytona, he calls it a Kicker, but you may want to phone them and ask the questions, if it is the Kicker we all refer to with the push button, or just a spring animal, with loose hanging feet.
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
I've just ordered two of these from Daytona--will post here when they arrive and let you know the situation re the feet/paws.

Geoffrey
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
They Daytona Rabbit is the same Rabbit I have.

http://www.williamsmagic.com has them too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
I just received my two rabbits from Daytona--super fast delivery and excellent service to Sydney, btw--and the two bunnies are well made and have a pleasing body shape when the spring is unsprung. They're not puppets--no opening in the base--and, while the rear legs don't operate on any kind of motor or similar system, you can animate them one-handed with your fingers behind the legs. They're made by the people who do Rocky and the other spring animals and they quiver really well. Nice red marble eyes and good quality fur and pink in the ears.

For what I need them for, they're perfect.

Geoffrey
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
OFF TOPIC: A friend told me about an animatronic rabbit in a hat ala snake basket...I think it's made in Japan Smile

I emailed the maker but got no replies...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kicker the mechanical rabbit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL