The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dead Ringer Spirit Bell (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Eddie,

Sweet story! It's all in the presentation, isn't it!
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
827 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Had a little practice with Dead Ringer on Saturday night, - my story patter was about
this piece of Victoriana spiritualist equipment that was part of the ten year Houdini seance, - it never rang in all those ten years of attempts by Bess, his wife, until some years later his grandaughter, Emily, was playing with it, after hearing stories about her grandfather and the attempts to bring him back in spirit during all those seances.
- Much to Emily"s (Grandaughter) astonished suprise it rang, etc etc.

So after that build up story,calling to the spirit world and Emily to give us a sign, then after a suitable long silent wait, with only a single candle burning, the bell rings!
- Wow it really freaked out the 10 people watching! It can be a real scary piece if presented in the right way.

Steve
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I´ve seen Magnalucius' one in action in a bizarre magic presentation in Quito, and it works incredibly well!

Congratulations to the creators of such a nice illusion!!

I love the fact that it is completely checkable by the public.

Giovanni.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I've had a problem with my Spirit Bell starting to ring without my activating it. Seriously. It continues to ring until I manually stop it with my fingers! Assuming this is not a case of a real spirit at work, has anyone else encountered this problem?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I know it isn't funny, so forgive me for laughing, but it must have scared the poot out of you!

:pirate:
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 14:35, marknem7 wrote:
I've had a problem with my Spirit Bell starting to ring without my activating it. Seriously. It continues to ring until I manually stop it with my fingers! Assuming this is not a case of a real spirit at work, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Ask Tim...he's great at standing behind his work. If it's malfunctioning, he'll fix it for free. Amazing guy.
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Marknem7,

Please call me Toll Free 1-800-407-4040. If there is a problem with your bell and we'll fix it or replace it no problem.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
756 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Now that is customer service!!!! I wish all magic dealers were like that.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Exactly...and in only 14 minutes time on a website that is not even theirs!

Mark. Smile
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Tim stands behind his stuff he did for me
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
827 Posts

Overseas buyers beware! - only the second time ever out of many dozens of purchases from US dealers, but I just got a bill from customs for $70 taxes, after purchasing the Spirit Bell. - I should add that the only other time this happened was also a
Hocus Pocus purchase ! - so this is something UK and European buyers need to factor into the total price.

Steve
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
133 Posts

Profile of karvis
I live in Spain, and from Hocus Pocus never had customs bill. I have bought hundreds of times, from 3 or 4 diffrentes shops, and in a few, maybe 3 or 4 times, I had the bill, remember once from hank lee, but only one , ther don't, so I have never knwon what is the diffrence, it must be in the way they send us the box
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Cant you write it off as the item is intended for educational purposes ?
E.O.I
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
827 Posts

The reason this sometimes happens really depends on the seller, - when they fill in a senders declaration, they can put a declared value on the packet, then the british or european customs will see it is a valuable item and tax it accordingly.
The way some sellers succesfully avoid this, is to state that the items are,
"electrical components,value under $100". that way the person receiving it pays no import taxes, - many dealers in the US will do this, then you do not pay,
- but if the sender, like Hocus Pocus are scrupulously honest then you must pay tax on high value items like Dead Ringer.

Steve
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
714 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Wait, I certainly hope we're not pointing a finger at Hocus Pocus for being "scrupulously honest"....

With border security and customs at an unforgiving level in terms of what they will and will not "check" - I think its better to be that honest - it saves our packages from being cracked open just to see whats inside. Me? I'd rather receive a handmade item that wasn't played around with by border patrol.

I also think this topic should be moved to maybe a seperate thread so as to not muddle the "Dead Ringer" thread.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
827 Posts

Illusioneer,
My contribution to this thread was to warn pottential buyers to be aware that they will probaly be spending a lot more than they thought, - at least if they are european or british buyers.

I love dead ringer, but to us folks over the Atlantic, its a double wammy, Tax to be added plus the huge drop in currency against the dollar, - so what at first appears a reasonable price to us, is suddenly not so good.

To move these few posts to a different area would make euro people misinformed as to what they will actualy have to pay for this special piece of kit, - Dead Ringer.

After All if I was able to buy this elsewere, I would probaly save at least the tax! - I don't suppose I am on the Hocus Pocus xmas card list! but I think fellow countrymen need to be aware of the tax they will pay on Hocus Pocus purchases.
if HP don't tell them, - then I have.

Steve

PS, HP deliver to a hundred different countries, and cannot be held responsible for local tax rules. furthermore we are not responsible for currency conversions.
you should check your own national import restrictions before clicking on the
"buy it now" button!
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Well said "ceveat emptor".This doesn't apply to the quality or the equiptment,neither which can be faulted.
Mark
E.O.I
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
827 Posts

Mark, caveat emptor, "buyer beware".
and yes indeed the equipment is very good, - after a little polish up!
I will bring mine along to the January meeting for you to look at, unless I see you before.

Steve
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Excellent, newsflash...have secured John Archer as a Jan lecture.
E.O.I
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
I bought a Dead Ringer last week and it's another beauty from Tim W. I love his work and own quite a few items of his. Dead Ringer is now neck and neck with my all time favorite, the Spirit Telegraph.

When I opened the package I thought the same thing I usually do; How does Tim do this? How can he offer props of this caliber for such low prices? How does he make any money? How can he offer free repairs? Who is this man!!!

It's brilliant. It might take about a minute and a half to find your unit's "sweet spot" by adjusting the height and direction of the bell but that's part of the fun. Personally, I plan to perform it while it's obscured behind a small equally "antiqued" screen. Seeing the bell ring is perfectly fine but for my tastes having it hidden from sight as in a spirit cabinet routine is ten times more eerie. That's just me.

As with the telegraph, Tim includes the weathered box to store it in, backstory, yellowing photo, old rags apparently used as 1920's shipping padding and so on. The craftsmanship made me say "wow" aloud six or seven times.

I did notice an almost whisper quiet electronic "click" from my bell stand when activating the mechanism. It's so low one has to be inches away to notice. However, from three feet or more away it's gone. Nothing a little background music wouldn't cover any way. I only mention it if you plan to do an "Ultra-Close-Up Act."

I think my Telegraph will still ultimately win as my "favorite" simply because it's the most unusual looking of the two. (People may be familiar with the notion of a spirit bell but never a telegraph.) But Dead Ringer is the perfect compliment to your "strange curios" collection. And, the bell on it's simple stand looks much more innocent than the telegraph on first viewing. But none of this really matters. Both effects, like all of Wisseman's stuff, are prized works of art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dead Ringer Spirit Bell (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL