The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » History of 3 fly?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
"Before and after" poses depicted within the artwork on T. Nelson Downs' antique poster suggest an antecedent to a fingertips coins across theme.

If I have found anything to be true in life it is that eventually, all that is old can be new again except for me.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I highly doubt Downs did a fingertips coins across. That was simply a pose with the coins held at the fingertips. Had Downs done this sort of trick there surely would have been an account or mention of it somewhere other than a visual depiction in a poster. Kaufman commented on this exact issue years ago by saying "Shall I assume that all magicians used to wear lipstick just because their lips have color in old magic posters? I think not!" lol
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You can listen to what Roth says, on the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD on coins across, where he discusses Downs.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Yes I've read that Roth believes the Downs Poster suggests Downs performed the fingertips coins across. Without written evidence of this performance I'm not sure I would feel comfortable believing that anymore than I would that the Egyptians performed the cups and balls because of a drawing. To each his own though...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Well, one of the things that Roth said, was that Downs used to catch a coin at the tip of his coin wand and then toss it to the fingertips of his other hand. Someone remarked that the wand looked like a gimmick, so he did the same thing without the wand. I can't tell you what reference he used for that, but I will ask him next time we speak.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I would be very interested in hearing more about that Doc!
I had never heard that before. One of many reasons why I wish I could make it out to the seminar this year. Sigh.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You can read about the coin wand item in Bobo's. Any number of coins produced from thin air at the tip of his wand in one hand, flicked off the tip of the wand and appearing in a fan at the fingertips of the other hand. If you try this you can get a feel for how it was handled and played for an audience. If you put that with his "mercury coin" item you could almost imagine him doing what later became the Copenetro.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » History of 3 fly?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL