The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Close-up color changing Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I'm a sucker for close-up "Color Changing Silk" routines. Just love them. I seem to have collected a lot of routines, with equally as many methods. I would love to hear what your favorites are and why.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I do a Th*mbt*p dye tube in my lecture. Also, my flagtastick can be used as a color change as well. The main effect is that red, white and blue change to a flag on a flagstick. But, any 3 silks can change lightning fast into any other silk combo. First release in the 90's, 4 stars in genii.
http://magicians.podbean.com/flagtastick/silk-flagtastick/
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ian's Flagtastick gets 4 stars (out of 4) from me to! I killer and technically easy trick to do. Three silks, red, white, and blue in my case instantly changing to an American flag on a flagstaff! I use it as a ending/ecore. It is brilliant thinking!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Thanks Harry, I've been rehashing other uses for the premise. As color switches etc. I am currently making 4 flags appear (cotter pin method) while in pole holders on the front of the stage.
The other thing I have done is fire to flag. Vanishing a torch to cane with flag. One friend of mine is going to do a double (one in each hand) mounting the canes on the cotter pins in the vest.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I used to like the Patrick Page color-change silk, but recently have rediscovered Thayer's One Handed "Pop-Up Color Change Silk." After working with it some more, it's become my new favorite. It's on my site in the Mini-Mysteries section:

http://www.magicnook.com/MiniMysteries/MM-05PopUpCC.htm

I like changing the color of the silk with one hand while doing something completely different with the other, and not noticing that the silk has changed color in the meantime.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
For walk around, I prefer to use a dye tube, and an 18" silk. The handling is effectively Roger Klause's, and has the benefit that it resets and can be done pretty much surrounded... Spellbinder, I'm curious about the One Handed reference. Can this be done with an 18" silk? Also what are the angles and reset like?

As a reminder, the original question was about CLOSE UP color changing silks.
Harold Cataquet
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
9" to 18", but not much larger or it could get difficult. The reset can be built into a routine that (for example) changes a red silk to blue and back again. Voila! All reset! The angles are pretty much covered from every direction, and if Thayer could demo it in his store, I guess that counts a close-up.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The sizes of silks used in closeup are restricted more by arm-length and available show space than gimmicks. Perhaps 12" and 18" are the best.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Close-up color changing Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL