The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music Rights and Royalties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
In Grand Illusions, there HAS to be music at one point or the other.

For me, a little Peter Gabriel, U2, Sting or Phil Collins works well (along with many others). But my question is, how do you get the rights to use these songs in your act or on a TV special? Is it a one-time royalty fee?

Jakks
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I'm only going from what I've heard now but in many places (churches mostly) they pay special royalties to people so you're covered. Can anyone back this up because I'm not the best source?
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I believe that it may have to do with a licensing agreement rather than with the royalties.

Sure they will want your money, but you have to go through the proper channels. If you are planning such a venture, I suggest speaking with an entertainment lawyer who could give you positive direction. Although asking for advice is good to do here, you are asking a legal question, and I am not licensed to practice law.

There are many venues that will not let you use unlicensed music. I use a White Magic CD. He puts out copyright free stuff; some of it's corny but I suppose if it bothers me that much I could learn to play the guitar.
oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music Rights and Royalties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL