The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Recent MAA article of interest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hi Gang,

Here's a heads-up: The most recent issue of the _College Mathematics Journal_ from the MAA has an interesting analysis of the old 21 Card Trick. The details are, John P. Bonomo, "You Can Teach an Old Magician New Tricks," _CMJ_, Volume 39, Number 5, November 2008, pp. 346-356.

Besides the combinatoric analysis, the author also gives some presentational ideas. But, as you can probably guess, the mathematics is far more interesting than the effect itself!

Most college libraries probably carry this journal, supposing you don't include it in your own membership to the MAA.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Dumb question - is this available online somewhere?
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Martin Gardner described in one of his books an exact analysis (and mentioned of course the name of the mathematic person who did the analysis).

Angelo
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
A little more info ...

http://www.maa.org/pubs/cmj.html

The College Mathematics Journal
November 2008 Contents

You Can Teach an Old Magician New Tricks
John P. Bonomo
346-356

Mathematics forms the basis for many types of card tricks. One of the best-known works as follows: Take any 15 cards out of a deck and ask a volunteer to select one of the cards and place it back in the deck. After shuffling the cards, you deal out three piles of cards and ask the volunteer which pile his or her card is in. You collect up the three piles and repeat this deal/collect procedure twice more and then magically select the volunteer’s card from the deck. You can find many variations and analyses of this trick in various magic books and at several websites, using anywhere from 15 to 27 cards. Our purpose here is to analyze this trick in a manner which leads to two nice modifications of the trick. The first modification allows you to place the card in any location in the deck, and the second gives the volunteer full “control” over the trick: he/she deals out the cards as well as picks up the piles (in any order that they like). Even with this lack of control, the magician can pick the card correctly 87% of the time on the first try, and 100% on the second try. We then show how we can extend this trick to larger number of piles and cards.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Recent MAA article of interest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL