The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rich Hill's Illusionshop - Zig Zag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Arepsi
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
146 Posts

Profile of Arepsi
Hello and greetings from Finland!

I just got the classic zig zag. I made my order at May and today the case arrived. At first, I've to say this is top notch, super quality product. Plywood has laminate surface and it's painted well.

I made my order, because I didn't have time to make one by myself and I was feeling little bit disappointed when I heard the delay. Meanwhile I built the Crystal Caket and halfway one-man Modern Art sawing. But I've to admit, I can never reach the quality of his work.

This unit is absolutely amazing, with its chrome parts, bolts and everything. This unit folds in half and it has the sliding panel on middle box as in original. In Paul Osbornes plans there was a part which goes something like this: "if you're going to improve the original - make sure that they really are improvements". Rich Hill built sliding handles for the blade and that way handles are not offset anymore when introducing the blades.

I highly recommend Rich Hill's products. Worth every penny. BTW - Sorry my poor English.

Photos: http://www.aarosorva.com/zigzag/

Aaro Sorva
patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Woooow that really looks amazing!! Wish I had the money to buy one!

Patrick
Magic Creates Life
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
It looks good but I don't care for the unpainted piano hinge. It somehow looks unfinished.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
That is a fine looking prop!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Man, those are some GIANT photos!

The prop is beautiful, but the exposed hinge is sort of like having a designer tuxedo and wearing your underwear on the outside... Smile

Work very hard on your routine. So many performers lose so much of the Zig Zag's effect by ignoring Harbin's original presentation ideas...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
This ignores a lot of the Harbin plans too.. I can tell Rich didn't build it from those plans.

No latch on the middle door.

No blinds to cover the sections and the extra table top on the left... not what Harbin designed.

And yes, paint the hinges.

And you don't need sliding blades...
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
Blind housings are on the indside, as is the center box latch.
Rich Hill
<BR>www.richhillsillusionshop.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
But why the top cover on the side table top? Blinds should work fine.

Moving the blinds inside is a great idea. I bet Harbin would have liked that.
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
Blinds absolutely do work fine. It's just a choice.
Rich Hill
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, I hope you know the REAL SECRET to Zig Zag. If you read the Harbin Book, he emphasizes the fact that a spectator should be involved. Spectator pushes the middle section and it stops. "Do you know why it stopped?" the magician asks? "It's because it hits the lady inside." Now you put the blades in. This covers fact that the blades are NARROW, that's because now the centet section is part way over. After blades inserted the magician now asks the spectator to push again... and the section goes all the way. THIS IS THE STRONG MOMENT OF THE TRICK. THE LOOK ON SPECTATOR IS WHAT YOU SELL.

Harbin used to get very upset when he saw magicians do it without the spectator up helping.

Belive me, it makes it a greater effect.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Agree Pete, did it that way Halloween night at my annual show.
Arepsi
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
146 Posts

Profile of Arepsi
Yes indeed. In my opinion, the hinge is ok to be unpainted. It creates vertical look to the apparatus and when the box is "zagged" it gives better look from far. The roller blinds are inside of the box and I like to use two trays, it's easier to assemble. Assistant uses these latches to close the door from inside. It could be possible to paint the hinge, but I asked Rich to leave it unpainted. This unit has the tickle box on the center and Rich sent this to me with everything, the assembly instructions and tools on neat bag.

The graphic and details can be modified, but I'm going to perform this as Harbin used to. In Roberto Giobbi lecture, Roberto show'd two video clips of the zig zag, one where was Harbin and second where was Copperfield and I'd prefer the original.

Roberto said that magic is like a Swiss watch, from inside it has complex workings but from outside it looks simple. Copperfield's presentation was little like opposite. Definetly with original presentation with the assitant. And the plans I think are from Osbornes Plans.

Aaro
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
And this is the master at work.. watch and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMN9h4ppIbI
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I am a very big fan of the Zig Zag illusion. It was the first illusion I ever had, and I continue to perform it to this day. Rich, you did a fantastic job on this piece, and Aaro I know you will love it. I too favor the Harbin presentation. Best of luck and great job. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Rich Hill
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, Indiana USA
166 Posts

Profile of Rich Hill
Thanks so much, Beau - it was the first illusion I ever had as well...one of my very favorites!
And ricker, I'm so glad you posted the Harbin presentation...well done.
Rich Hill
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
185 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Looks really good Rich makes some awesome looking props. Keep up the good work Rich.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Nice!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Why does Harbin have a piece of metal to make the girl bend down?

Bairefoot
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
That's the orginial design of the Zig-Zag, it's not metal, it's wood. It helped keep the middle box stable.

The real plans are in the book, The Magic of Robert Harbin.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Does the The Magic Trick Shop has the right to sell the original plans? It said "more than 10 available"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Building-Plans-Rober......a5d0bc8a

Best,

Las
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Rich Hill's Illusionshop - Zig Zag (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL