The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jasper Maskelyne Recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Any good books about Jasper Maskelyne, particularly analysis of his wartime strategies?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
685 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
There is also an autobiographical work by Jasper Maskelyne titled "White Magic", which tells the story of his family. It was published in 1936 and obviously pre-dates his wartime exploits.

It's a good read though in which he talks a lot about his father (Neville)and grandfather (J.N.). His grandfather's inventions and his business relationships with both Devant and Cooke.

It is out of print but there are occasional copies advertised.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
War magician is an interesting read however not entirely factual. If you do a goggle, you will find that a great amount of the legend of his contributions to the War Effort were greatly embellished.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Interesting stuff. I am mostly curious about the theory of applying magic to military intelligence work. It's an unusual and interesting subject.
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You might want to check out the new book by Ben Robinson on John Mullholland/CIA.

The War Magician does give you some interesting applications though the credit to whom they belong is dubious.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Dunninger also offered to help the military by using magic techniques.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2517 Posts

Profile of critter
Cool!
~Will Rogers

New Facebook Page:
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
It seems that Jasper Maskelyne was more of a self-promoter than an actual creator of WWII deceptions. A very thoroughly researched and documented work by Richard Stokes, titled "Jasper Maskelyne, Master of Make Believe: The Real Story Behind the War Magician" debunks much of the stuff credited to Maskelyne (and for which he was apparently happy to take credit for) in the David Fisher book and the subsequent History Channel "documentary" based on it -- some of which (e.g., "moving" the city of Alexandria and making the Suez Canal "invisible") never happened and most of what DID happen was done by others. You can find Stokes work at http://www.maskelynemagic.com. I believe some of the more significant findings are being readied for publication in Genii some time in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

If you are seriously interested in other sources of information re: deceptions in warfare (some involving magicians, but most not) PM me and I can provide a long list of references.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jasper Maskelyne Recommendations? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL