The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Joe Lefler Pro Table questions... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
So, I am seriously considering purchasing a large Joe Lefler table in the not-too-distant future. But I have a few questions about the dimensions.

1. Could I possibly fit a folded-up straightjacket and / visible sawing frame into a large Lefler table?

2. Are the shelves adjustable?

3. Is that a larger compartment below the two shelves, or am I just imagining that?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You might want to e-mail Joe Lefler about this.

1) Straitjacket -- it depends on the weight of the canvas. Some straitjackets take up more room than others. I used to carry a fairly large straitjacket that was made of very heavy canvas in a Gunsport pistol case. These are about 12 x 16 x 5 inches, so I'm sure it would fit easily into the bottom compartment.

Visible sawing frame -- probably not.

Don't overload your table. It puts unnecessary stress on the casters and on your back, when loading it and unloading it. Also, too much inside the table produces fumbling and messing about.

2) I don't know. Probably.

3) Yes, it is a larger compartment. It is normally used for things that need to be kept upright, such as liquid tricks -- which I do not recommend keeping in a roll on table.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
2) Yes, the shelves are adjustable.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Thanks again, guys. Much appreciated.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

What about the Viking Table? I know it's a bit more expensive, but can you fit more in there?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Have you ever considered e-mailing the web sites where these things are sold?

If you do the math, you will see that the Viking table holds about 1000 cubic inches more; however, it is also 42 inches tall. Can you work comfortably from a 42 inch table?

Try doing some of the math yourself.

Also, remember: holding more is not necessarily better. You have to be able to lift all this stuff.

BTW, Viking is out of their tables at this time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Yeah, I figured the Viking was about 3 1/2 feet tall (that's actually probably closer to the size I need, frankly), but I saw they were out of stock.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
How tall are you?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Six feet.
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

What I'm essentially looking for is a very large container that I can keep all of my props in, keep them organized in one space, and have this accessible from the stage. This would naturally be fairly heavy, and I would need to enlist folks to help me transport it, but that's the gist of what I'm fishing for. I've been looking at various tables, trunks, containers, etc. linked to here on the boards, and the Lefler and Viking tables were just two that I was eyeing rather closely, and I wanted to get some perspectives / info from folks who use them out in the field regularly.

But it looks like the Lefler table might be a bit too small for me.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
At six feet, the Viking table would probably work for you.

If you want to carry all of your props in one trunk, I would strongly suggest that you get a really large ATA trunk made, with no dividers or drawers. Then alter the insides. Have it made with heavy-duty casters, because most of the rollaway casters are made of pot metal or plastic, and they WILL break.

Then use tables that you can take apart and put into the trunk. The trunk will protect everything and will help you keep things nice.

Word of caution from someone who has been there, done that. Don't expect to have people at the venue who can help you unload. People promise everything, but seldom deliver.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Bill, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I know this has been a real help for me and hopefully for other folks here, too.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I was looking to get a Lefler table or some type of table last year and ended up getting the Lefler from someone here on the Café at a great price. I can put my whole kid show in it and have room left over. It is very sturdy and holds a lot of equipment. The visible sawing is a no go for the table. The is just not big enough to hold it but I got a seperate case for the sawing. Found it at a thrift store. Makes me have to carry in 2 cases and 2 tables but I am very happy with it. You can contact Joe Lefler direct and he can gicve you all of the info. I am not sure about the Viking table but I have heard good things about it. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Steven
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
WHAT EVER U USE.......MAKE SURE IT HAS OR U ADD WHEELS.....WHEELS ARE THE GREATEST MAGIC TRICKS OF ALL.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Hello

I have a custom made suitcase table which is comparable to any on the market. Keep in mind the more you load them up, the heavier they are to lift out of the car and possibly carry some distance. It is my favorite table but at times they can be heavy to move. Would also suggest a small two wheel dolly to transport the table which keeps wear and stress from the wheels when going over rough areas or through uneven doorways.

They are often times for sale on the Café!!!

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
jslefler
View Profile
New user
Ohio
16 Posts

Profile of jslefler
I beleive the new version will fit the portable sawing. If you send me the dimensions I will let you know for sure.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
CoachC is right about the wheels. Especially for those of us who have been doing it for a while and have knee, feet, back or other issues. Put good wheels and handles on your tables. Think about using a dolly that converts to a 4 wheel cart for bigger shows, and even two ramps to wheel it in and out of your vehicle if necessary. If you set up and put away your own shows, you'll have more energy to put into the performance if you don't have to lug everything up, down and everywhere.

:magicrabbit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Joe Lefler Pro Table questions... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL