The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Newspaper tear - 1969 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jtb
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of jtb
When I was at UCLA in 1969, my friend on my dorm floor (Mark McGuire) got hired to work some of the small rooms at the Magic Castle doing close-up card magic. I used to go with him on the weekends and see the headliners. My most vivid memories are Dai Vernon doing the three card monte and Slydini's Coins Across.

In one of the downstairs rooms, I saw a magician do the Newspaper Tear. Would anyone know who that performer was? I really can't remember any details that might help.

Thank you,

John B
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Gene Anderson?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It might have been Tomsoni. He does the Slydini tear.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Ron Wilson ("The Uncanny Scot") was a frequent performer at the Castle during its early years, and his version of the newspaper tear is considered exceptionally deceptive by those in the know.

He later served as the Castle's entertainment director and is currently a Trustee. Here's a link to a headshot photo of Ron that was probably taken around that time:

http://www.m-a-g-i-c.com/friends/ron.htm

Does that look like the magician you saw?
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of jtb
I think it probably was Ron Wilson. I appreciate the responses to what was very limited information.

My main memory of those visits is still the great presence the Vernon and Slydini had. They were experts at holding an audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Newspaper tear - 1969 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL