The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Large Magical Crowd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicinaction
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magicinaction
Hi there, I'm pretty new to magic, but I have decided to entertain a large audience (around 500 people) from a stage with magic tricks.

At my college, during an evening of entertainment to fundraise for local charities, I've been asked to fill three 5-10 minute slots - and because I'm not much good at singing or dancing, I have decided that magic will be the way to go!

Has anyone got any good "tricks" or illusions that I can amuse the audience with?! They don't have to be complicated - but just good fun to watch!

Also it would be good if I don't have to buy any magical props - I can get hold of regular everyday objects of course though.

Thank you very much for your help! Magical!
magicinaction
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magicinaction
Even something like the "grey elephant from Denmark" (below) trick would be suitable. It doesn't have to be a completley magical trick (it would be magical if it could be) but as long as it entertains the audience for a while it'd be ok.

1) Think of a number between 1 and 10.

2) Multiply it by 9.

3) Add those two digits together so that you end up with a 1-digit number. (And whichever number they chose, the sum will add up to 9.)

4) Now subtract 5 from this number. (Of course they will end up with the number 4)

5) Work out the corresponding letter that matches this digit. For example, 1 would be A, 2 would be B and so on. (So naturally your victim will end up with D)

6) Now think of a country that begins with this letter. (Denmark is usually the first country that springs to mind because countries beginning with D are pretty sparse.)

7) Now think of an animal whose name begins with the second letter of this country. (The second letter in Denmark is E, so normally, "elephant" will automatically be chosen.)

8) Think of the colour of this animal. (Normally, people will decide that elephants are grey.)

9) Tell your victim, "YOU'RE THINKING OF A GREY ELEPHANT IN DENMARK!
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
"Magic In action"

I could give you a list of tricks and illusions to amuse your audience for 15 to 30 minutes. But I'm not sure you can pull it off. Magic doesn't come from the trick, but from the performer... and not only do you want to perform, you want to amuse?

Doing a stage show with a 1000 eyes burning you, if a bit different than doing card tricks for you buddies.

I assume you have no mentor, or you wouldn't have posted this in the forum. What are your skill sets? Can you tell a joke? Can you tell a story? Can you lie? Can you Act? Not only must you acquire the effects and learn to do them properly, You need to routine them and entertain with them. Otherwise you will be making the common of mistakes - you will bore your audience - or worse embarrass them and you.

I don't mean to sound mean about this; Are you sure you can't learn to sing or dance?

You didn't mention how much time you have. Let's say you have eight weeks. First, find a magician in your area who would be willing to mentor you. Let your mentor observe your skill sets and recommend your effects. Go to the theater department and find someone to help you with staging, costuming (Henning's t-shirt was still a costume). Find someone at your school who can not only write well but can be entertaining - Have that person work on your patter. That should cover your first week. Spend the next 7 weeks in rehearsal.

Best of Luck.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
magicinaction
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magicinaction
Thanks for your reply!

Erm... with regards to skill sets, I'm a confident and charismatic individual that has got a lot of on-stage experience and someone that's quite comfortable in that kind of environment. So if I know my "tricks" or just the general act and am comfortable with it, the rest should follow - patter, jokes (done stand-up before and was quite successful Smile ), stories etc.

The show isn't actually till February, so I have got lots of time to prepare and get the details sorted out. Also, of course, as you mention rehearsals will be essential to make sure that the act is amusing for the audience, and we'll definitely be having lots of them with some smaller audiences at first.

So, all in all, I entirely understand your concerns, but I think that if I have the right tricks and illusions in my act and I'm comfortable with them, I think I'll be up to the job.

So your list of tricks to fill around 20 minutes of time, would be most useful!! Thank you in advance.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
The Vanishing Bandana is a five-minute comedy act that contains only one rather simple trick (especially if you have several months to work on it). The real trick is in the acting and comic timing, but if you have stage and stand-up experience, it shouldn't be much of a problem for you to work through the act.

Aside from that, and working with your confidence-on-stage strength, I'd consider some mentalism effects. If you're good with doing math quickly in your head (while performing), Osterlind's BCS (Breakthrough Card System) and a jumbo deck will give you some really amazing mentalism effects. If the math daunts you, there are more gimmicky mentalism stuff out there.

Just a few thoughts.
Bill
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Have you ever studied any magic?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 13:49, magicinaction wrote:
Hi there, I'm pretty new to magic, but I have decided to entertain a large audience (around 500 people) from a stage with magic tricks.

At my college, during an evening of entertainment to fundraise for local charities, I've been asked to fill three 5-10 minute slots - and because I'm not much good at singing or dancing, I have decided that magic will be the way to go!

Has anyone got any good "tricks" or illusions that I can amuse the audience with?! They don't have to be complicated - but just good fun to watch!

Also it would be good if I don't have to buy any magical props - I can get hold of regular everyday objects of course though.

Do you have any magic shops in your area?
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-11-11 13:49, magicinaction wrote:

So...You like only to do a couple of tricks?? Its magic your hobby or only the simple way to do something in your college? If magic its not your hobby or you don't know what to do...please choose another talent...
Magic is in a Bad moment...
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Magicinaction
Where area do you live in?

Asking to see if we can give you some direction where to go for help

tom_stamm is 100% correct and what you are describing could turn out not the way you expect

You would like NOT to spend money on props (which is ok) and entertain 500 people in 3 months time
Are you willing to invest in a few books, read them and practice daily?

Do you realize you are insulting magicians? I don't think you mean to but ......
You're coming across as "Oh I'll just learn a few tricks because I can't sing or dance"

What makes you think magic is easier than singing or dancing?
It's quite the opposite. Anyone can sing, many like myself very badly. Not everyone can perform magic

PLEASE DON'T DO TRICKS!!! TRICKS ARE NOT MAGIC

Have a routine, a character, a thread for the show

Please do stand up comedy instead, it will be easier on everyone

Really, can you please do stand up instead
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Go to the library and load up on magic books. Read through them and pick stuff that fits your style and the stage character you have in mind. Try it out and see if it's what you want to do. If so, then go to the bookstore and buy those books.

But you probably won't. You seem like you just want to be funny - you don't really want to be a magician. Some people (like my son) have a natural gift for stand-up and comedy (Don't know where he got it from - it sure wasn't me!!). But to do magic, you really need to want to do magic.

And if you're stil determined to "do a few tricks", go to a magic shop near you and have someone there help you buy the latest and greatest sure-fire anyone-can-do tricks. At least the store owner will enjoy your performance.

Ed
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
"Magic in action" may have asked too vague a question. We now know he has til February and some stage skill.

I would recommend:

1) Get a mentor.
2) Books
a) Amatuer Magician's Handbook
b) Mark Wilson's Course in Magic
3) Develop a "Style"
a) Can you tell a compelling story? - Bizarrist Magic
b) Are you extremely outgoing? - Circus Barker or conman
c) Can you look *real* innocent? - See the world for of wonder and amazement.
... you get the idea...
4) Select Effects that support you character and style. I won't suggest specific effects, I don't know you. (Oh and think "effects," not "tricks". "Trick" thinking puts you in an adversarial position with you audience - IMHO - the job isn't to fool the audience, though we try hard to do so, the job is to entertain.)
5) Evaluate any extra skills you can bring to the table. Can you Juggle? Ride a unicycle? Walk on stilts? Can that be used with your character and style?
6) Evaluate the performance area: What are the angles? Do you have a stage or will you be surrounded? On a stage with proper lighting "bl@ck @rt" can work, but it would not be appropriate surrounded in daylight.
7) Do not do Card Tricks.
8) Develop your script to support your character and style and amuse your audience.

If you want to study this long term. I would suggest taking classes in theater arts: acting, mime, stage design and lighting.

I hope this points you in the proper direction. PM me if you have questions.

Best Regards,
Tom
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Large Magical Crowd (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL