The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking Ropes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was entertaining with my Linking Ropes at our IBM Ring 22 Meeting tonight. One of the members showed me a way to connect two ungimicked rope loops without untying either knot, buy giving a firm pull. He told me Roy Kissenger explained it to him years ago. My friend can not find the instructions even though he showed me. But I can not remember. Anyone know where I can purchase the instructions on this effect?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
That method is not the conventional way to do it, it is a special knot that allows you to pass the rope thru.
On an entertainment level, it is a seriously flawed effect and is more of a puzzle sold in a shop than something that is viable and routinable.
There has been a discussion on this site before as "ungimmicked linking ropes".
------
My problem with the "move" is that the magician holds the special knot and the gaffed rope "most" of the time during the effect. The move is suspicious and has no misdirection. I'd compare it to a puzzle, where everyone knows there is a "move' but can't prove it.
------- Here is the demo I find fault with:
http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/html/p4397.htm
or it could be: Raeke method: http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html scroll down the page to find "anytime linking ropes".

------------Now, you have the "Moore: version I sent you, what do you find lacking in that?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 07:47, magicians wrote:
Now, you have the "Moore: version I sent you, what do you find lacking in that?

I found nothing lacking with what I purchased from you, Ian. I love the ropes and DVD with multiple routines. I did not know the DVD would have so many additional methods. I got more than I expected. I really appreciate you bringing it up to me previously.

One reason I was thinking about the non gimmicked way is because it will be good for back up. Someone in the crowd might be lucky and heckle the secret when I am using the gimmicked ropes. If someone does, I will be able to use two of the three ropes at the end to show he was wrong as I let him examine them. Another reason is because I want to be able to fool other magicians who already know abou the gimmicked way. And the last reason is because I'll feel better inside I will know more rope sleights. Your method, Ian, is always going to be my #1 method.

Thank you for the link and education.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Thanks for that, however. In performing that effect for over 35 years..I have never had anyone ever challenge the ropes.
Like any effect you do, the built-in moves cover your *ss. The spectator who is alongside of you (if you do that version) is the eyes and hands of your audience. Since he/she is handling one or all of the ropes, then no-one should be suspicious or heckle.
Now, as for fooling magicians, you have a lot of ammo. I will send you a video clip I am working up to add to the "ungimmicked version" on your DVD which will allow you to start with one rope, cut it, do linking ropes, then wind up with professors nightmare, then throw the ropes to the audience.
The problem with the heckler fear, is that you would never do the standard routine for fear of the heckler. By that time, you can't give in to him. What I would suggest you do instead of repeating the moves just to appease the impolite viewer, is to have an "out". A very natural out is to place the ropes in a change bag at the end of the routine. Have a duplicate set in that bag, and take them out again and throw the ropes to the fool. You can also show the bag empty if he challenges the bag. Or, you can usher the fool out of the show. It really won't happen. Just like it really doesn't happen while doing linking rings. If the moves are right the heckler won't bother.
------------
As far as magicians, most of them do not know the basic linking ropes, and they certainly don't know the Dances version. So, you will already be blowing them out of the water.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Howie Schwartzman has an unpublished, ungimmicked version.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 19:23, Pete Biro wrote:
Howie Schwartzman has an unpublished, ungimmicked version.

Well, Pete...that's handy!
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Does anyone know who the Original Creator of Linking Ropes might be?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The effect we call “The Linking Ropes” was invented c. 1953 by E.J. Moore. Houston Magician Wayne Raeke gets credit for being the first magician to see the possibilities in a simple knot found in the 1911 Boy Scout Manual called a “running knot” to create an ungimmicked version of the Linking Ropes. You'll find an ungimmicked version explained in detail with photos in Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Blendo Ropes" routine in The Wizards' Journal #16 on my site.
http://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-06......Fiki.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Spellbinder,
Thanks for the information as I wanted to give proper credit to the Original Creator. I am releasing my own version of the effect and I have to say...The Ultimate Linking Ropes are the finest ever made. The gimmicks are superior; they will never come out of the rope, and the cut is extra fine so you could do these close-up without much fear of it being discovered. Sorry for the plug. Again thanks buddy for that info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking Ropes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL