We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thumb and first finger together for classic palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
I have read this tip and have a much harder time "fitting" the coin in tightly ... I seem to have to jut my thumb out to really get the coin in there ...

Just wondering if this goes away or is it possibly my hands?or any tips? I would like to do this correctly but would rather jut my thumb out than drop the coin.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
You should not have to swing your thumb out to do a classic palm. When you do that, it is a dead giveaway to the specs that something is going on in that hand. That's why many books recommend getting in the habit of touching the first finger to the thumb, which helps to prevent the thumb from popping out.

So just have patience and keep practicing. The classic palm is not an easy sleight to acquire, but once you have it, you can do wonderful things with it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Press your thumb against the top of your second finger and let your third finger learn how to do the work reliably.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
Ok I'll try that thanks
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
Wow this is like starting over Smile oh well better to get it right
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
It takes a little adjusting, but its nowhere near starting over
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
True and to get rid of the thumb jut it is worth it ... just being impatient lol I know better.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Since your just starting out if I could do it all over I would just practicing going into CP from my ring finger. touch your thumb and first finger together. While balancing the coin on your third finger and set it in. I only use my third finger to CP and when I'm in rest position. Very rarely will the coin be balancing on more then my third finger.
I find using just the third finger cuts down on allot of movement with in my hand.
Tim
Just a suggestion everyone has there own thing just need to find yours.
Good luck and remember have fun
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'm a ring finger guy as well! The thumb and forefinger is an EXCELLENT tip and DOES help eliminate the tell tale thumb pop!
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
I found that I was using the middle and ring finger ... but now will concentrate on just the ring finger ... might as well do it right ... thanks
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4183 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
That idea comes from Roth, inhis discussion of classic mistakes with the classic palm. See his complete discussion on vol 5 of the New York Coin Magic DVD series, on Productions, Vanishes, and Penetrations
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 01:34, Izz wrote:
I have read this tip and have a much harder time "fitting" the coin in tightly ... I seem to have to jut my thumb out to really get the coin in there ...

Just wondering if this goes away or is it possibly my hands?or any tips? I would like to do this correctly but would rather jut my thumb out than drop the coin.

Hi Izz, I've been doing coin magic for about a month and a half so far. I've ran into the same problem as you with the classic palm. What I found is that initially, our middle fingers and ring fingers are not strong enough to push the coin hard into the palm, so we compensate by letting the thumb jut out--this moves the thumb muscle out of the way so there is less resistance to the coin getting into palm. What worked for me was to work out my middle and ring fingers...I'd keep the thumb and index together, and force myself to get the coin into classic palm. Eventually I could feel my ring and middle finger get stronger. I can keep the ring finger and middle finger together with quarters, but I struggle with half dollars, perhaps due to the bigger coin and my smallish hands.

Best Evikshin
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I had the same problem for a long time. Almost gave up classic palming. Then I got the advise: Try to place the coin a little further down in the palm (away from the fingers). Then you don't need to move the muscle of the thumb so much to catch the coin in place. That helped me anyway.

Trolle
resshin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of resshin
Just work out your middle/ring fingers and it'll eventually work out for you.
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
I'm giving this it's due because it is important to me and after a couple weeks it is easier and coming more naturally ... like the idea o0f working out the fingers might try that also ... Thanks again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thumb and first finger together for classic palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL