The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Polishing aluminium (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Any tips for me guys?!
Thanks!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Sure, what do you want to polish? What condition is it in? Generally I use a buffing wheel, if the stock is thin it is possible for the wheel to cut through the stock. In this case hand polishing is necessary. The surface condition of the item in question will determine which abrasive, compound or polish to use.

Bill
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have always used a product called TR-3 Resin Glaze that I found at Auto Zone (then Auto Shack) many years ago. If the aluminum is pitted or scratched, you might need to take a buffing wheel to it, but if it is smooth, TR-3 works great.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
If you just need to shine them up, 'Mother's" makes a great aluminum polish for wheels. It is sold in most auto stores.

Take care,
Bruce
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Years ago I was able to polish some illusion swords that had been made from a rather dull bar aluminum by using a series of ever-finer steel wool pads. I started with "0" grade, and ended with "0000" (a total of four steps). Although it was a lot of work to polish five swords (and I did it all by hand), by the time I had finished they had a near-chrome brilliance.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You are not clear how much you need to polish the aluminum. If it is Raw Aluminum, you can buy a buffing wheel and some buffing compounds and work on it. It is dirty and you have to be careful so the metal does not fly out out of your hands. It can be, as Donal said, be polished to a mirror like finish with some work.

Simichrome polish works good to spruce up a previously polished piece.

I always seal it after I polish it with a clear lacquer to keep it bright.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Guys, thanks a lot for your answers!
OK!

The aluminium I'm working with can be called "raw" aluminium! It is dirty and I don,t want it to become like a mirror. I just want it to be clean and I little shiny!
Thanks again!!!
Eric
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This sounds like the perfect use for TR-3...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Thanks Clintonmagus!!! I'll try it!!!!!
Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Polishing aluminium (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL