The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Those pesky card-to-wallets are never just right (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What is it that you don't like about card-to-wallet wallets?

Personally I don't like a wallet that requires a folded card.
I don't like a wallet that is hard to load without mods.
I don't like a wallet that can't hold currency that is not folded.
(it's ok if the bills fold as the wallet folds up tho)

Do you have problems putting non-US currency in your wallet?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Frank, taking everything that you have listed have you found a wallet that comes close to what you want? Could you name it and where it can be purchased? I'm considering a purchase of a wallet.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
The "card to wallet" wallets I encountered, even those specifically mentionning the fact that they were "everyday wallets", failed to be everyday wallets for me.
I had to custom gimmick real "everyday wallets" to get the wallet I needed.

The problem isn't the type of currency (I use euros), but the quantity of items you can carry. Regarding the use I have of a wallet, 4 credit cards slot, a pocket behind those slots, a zippered compartment, and a wide bill pocket is far from enough.

With member cards of various kind, bank card, bus/metro passes, ID card, driver license and so forth, if you want to be able to pull a selected card from your real wallet, I found none to fit the bill.

Of course, I won't professionnaly work with all this mess in my pocket. So a "magician's wallet" will do the job, but they all look kind of fake to me: too slim, strange formats, and this strange zippered compartment which takes, completely illogically, all the room...

Well... Frank, let me know if you come up with something I could fancy Smile
Jonathan.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The key is to find the right wallet that makes you happy.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

So far the wallet that seems best to me is the Royal Card to wallet but they are no longer being made, apparently. They load easier then the Draun wallet, they load an unfolded card unlike the Mesika wallet.

They have a zipper compartment for the card to come out of.

The only thing that might be an issue with that wallet is the size of currency. I don't know if it would hold european currency. How much taller are Euros, etc. than a US bill. Would euros stick out the top of a standard US wallet? I don't remember them being a lot different than US currency but I just can't remember.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Well for me...about the closest thing to the perfect wallet was The Real Man's Wallet by Draun. It wasn't super hard to load and looked darn near impossible. It was still flawed however.

For me...the perfect wallet would be a hip wallet that was made out of real leather (not plastic or leather), black and would have tons of slots for credit cards, other pockets for photos (think Heirloom), and have the standard cash option. A wallet that one would use as their every day wallet.

The thing about wallets, is they're not practical for everyday use.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The wallet that I have meets most of all the criteria. Bi-fold, 100% leather, hip wallet, lots of slots, fits most sized currency. Highly practical for regular use. Only thing is, the card needs to be folded.

Okay, I found another problem. It's apparently made by Magic Makers.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 23:32, lylemagic wrote:
Well for me...about the closest thing to the perfect wallet was The Real Man's Wallet by Draun). It wasn't super hard to load and looked darn near impossible. It was still flawed however.

For me...the perfect wallet would be a hip wallet that was made out of real leather (not plastic or leather), black and would have tons of slots for credit cards, other pockets for photos (think Heirloom), and have the standard cash option. A wallet that one would use as their every day wallet.

The thing about wallets, is they're not practical for everyday use.

What do you suggest the flaw is with the real man's wallet? That you have to palm a card? I have it and love it.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Josh,
You're using the "Professional Card To Aallet" by Magic Makers, which seems to be the same as the Mesika wallet.

I don't know the story about that in terms of whether they're knocking it off or not.

The Royal wallet is exactly the same as the Mesika/MM wallets, except they adjusted the load location so you don't have to fold the card.

Some call the Royal a knock-off because it looks just like the Mesika, however, it's a vast improvement over the others.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
What do you suggest the flaw is with the real man's wallet? That you have to palm a card? I have it and love it.

The Real Man's Wallet is great! Like I said...easy to load. What makes it flawed is the fact that for my use, it won't work as an everyday wallet. Currently, in my wallet, I have cash, photos for Heirloom, approx 10 different credit cards, ID, and some other misc. stuff. The Real Man's wallet is flawed b/c I cannot use it in every day life. If they ever make one bigger then it would be great!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 00:07, Frank Starsini wrote:
Josh,
You're using the "Professional Card To Aallet" by Magic Makers, which seems to be the same as the Mesika wallet.

I don't know the story about that in terms of whether they're knocking it off or not.

The Royal wallet is exactly the same as the Mesika/MM wallets, except they adjusted the load location so you don't have to fold the card.

Some call the Royal a knock-off because it looks just like the Mesika, however, it's a vast improvement over the others.

Thanks Frank, I'll look into picking up the Mesika or Royal Wallet when it's time for a replacement, which is going to be pretty soon.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've been using the Mesika almost exclusively for about 5 years. I have played around with the Royal but the fold just seems natural to me and I have no problem loading it in about one second. It is also my everyday wallet. Other wallets I use occasionally if that pocket is being used for something else are Randy Wakeman's Balducci style wallet, and a prototype wallet by our own Frank Starsini which is a beautiful LePaul style for card in envelope. The latter is just a little too big, but considering that you pull a small envelope out of it, seems to disarm the audience a bit. All 3 do the job intended and are very well made. After seeing Nate Kranzo, I'm close to picking up a Hip Pocket Mullica. His handling of this makes it look so smooth. And the one plus is it can be on the table when you start.
Sazalfram
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Sazalfram
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 00:19, lylemagic wrote:
Quote:

The Real Man's Wallet is great! Like I said...easy to load. What makes it flawed is the fact that for MY use, it won't work as an everyday wallet. Currently, in my wallet, I have cash, photos for Heirloom, approx 10 different credit cards, ID, and some other misc. stuff. The Real Man's wallet is flawed b/c I cannot use it in every day life. If they ever make one bigger then it would be great!

You just got too much stuff! Smile Sometimes I will leave my house with one credit card and my drivers license. That's it.

But I do need a bigger garage cause my 18 wheeler I drive around town won't fit in there. Smile
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I decided to not go on buying wallets after the JOL Billfold, although there are a few things I think maybe they could have done differently. But it's the best everyday wallet I've ever used anyway.

One thing I don't like much about the few ones I have, is that there are other wallets that let you end up with a card inside an envelope or inside... whatever. Mine cannot do that, which makes me jealous because with an envelope it is a level stronger I think. Thought about maybe converting mine. I do OK with a needle but the result might still look rigged compared to the fair look of the default wallet.

Seems a bit surreal to take all the money out of your wallet and use it to buy more, empty wallets. I'm sure that point has been made before.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I love my JOL Billfold too! It's better than the Mesika Wallet as it has the feature which allows you to load it without having to putting your hand in your back pocket.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

The Royal has quite a bit more slots for CCs than the Real Man's.
Another reason I like it better.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
I, too, love my Real Man's Wallet. You can double up the number of cards that you place into the slots if you have to. It looks, feels, and functions as a normal wallet in a guy's back pocket. Getting the card into the wallet is no big deal as I use a clear plastic slide that "doubles" as the picture protector. Very easy to manipulate without suspicion. Besides holding my real money, it also easily holds my Extreme Burn gimmick.
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I really struggled trying to find the perfect wallet for me... I finally settled on the hip pocket Mullica. As a dealer, I got to play with many of them. I was close to the mesika, but just didn't care for the handling of it.

The Mullica is very natural to me and looks and functions more like my own real wallet.

It is tough to ask "what wallet should I use" - each person is different in the way they handle and perceive things. Many love the mesika. Many love the JOLs. Many love the Mullicas.

In the end, it comes down to which one you feel at home with. For me it was the Mullica.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 02:12, pepka wrote:
I've been using the Mesika almost exclusively for about 5 years. I have played around with the Royal but the fold just seems natural to me and I have no problem loading it in about one second. It is also my everyday wallet. Other wallets I use occasionally if that pocket is being used for something else are Randy Wakeman's Balducci style wallet, and a prototype wallet by our own Frank Starsini which is a beautiful LePaul style for card in envelope. The latter is just a little too big, but considering that you pull a small envelope out of it, seems to disarm the audience a bit. All 3 do the job intended and are very well made. After seeing Nate Kranzo, I'm close to picking up a Hip Pocket Mullica. His handling of this makes it look so smooth. And the one plus is it can be on the table when you start.

Thanks Pepka!

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I love the Real Man's Wallet, but, like Frank said, it doesn't take foreign currency. And considering where I'm living at the moment, that's a major concern. If I want to put yen bills into the wallet, I either have to fold them lengthwise or accept that about a quarter inch of the bills will stick out of the wallet and get beat up in my pocket. If the darn wallet were only about a half inch wider, I'd still be using it as my regular wallet the way I used it in the states.

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Those pesky card-to-wallets are never just right (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL