The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dracula Would be Jealous! Weird Coffins! Go out in Style! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Alright this is morbid, I know, but these are wild!

http://www.coolsiteoftheday.com/frmindex.htm
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
404 site not found. Bummer. Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 21:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

Indeed... bummer...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Was the site related to one of these, I wonder?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5331079

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/Ne......ID=52081

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltjabsco/263248255/

I seem to recall 60 Minutes doing a bit on the decorated coffins found in Ghana, some years back.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2446 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
It bothers the heck out of my wife, but I tell her I don't want to be embalmed, and a "green burial" would be just fine, if only because I'd get to proclaim "I'm biodegradable!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Coffin story! When my mother in law died, other than the celebration that her husband had, I had to pay to bury her. Being that she was the wonderful woman she was I told the guy to toss her into the cheapest thing he had that looked like a coffin, it is a cardboard thing that is pretty, I'm sure many have seen it. I should note my sisters picked the same one for my mother because it looked nice w/out knowing what it was made of so I'm not as evil as you think. So we have the funeral, and let me tell you, I put the 'fun' in funeral, and we turned the coffin so my father in law couldn't open it up and all that. He walks up, places his hand on the coffin and does the traditional "Ohhh Joan! Why did you leavvvvve meeee!", and he pushes down, thlunk thlunk, he pushes again, thlunk thlunk. He looks up with a puzzled expression and yells "This mutha @$#%) is made of cardboard!". Good times.

Push forward a few years and my father in law dies. I go to arrange things and am told they have good news and bad news. The good news, my father in law didn't want cardboard so he had picked out a beautiful coffin, booked two memorials, limos, the whole nine yards. I put that sucker in the cheapest pine box I could get and had a memorial where three people showed up, one guy who knew him and the two drunks he took with him from the bar. But, dang it, he got that pine box!

I'm such a good guy..... when the wife goes she gets wrapped in burlap, put into a gas filled row boat, and I'm gonna shoot burning arrows at her.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Great story Santa! When it's your time, I would think that you'd like to be stuffed and mounted.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin

Sadly, they don't seem to have a Rush one.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've always been a fan of simplicity: IKEA coffin
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
That's funny Gaddy. I have some Ikea furniture, including my bed. It's comfy, but 6-7 hours a night is enough. I'm not sure I'd want to lie in that for all eternity.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Here's a few more... I especially like the one that a smoker might choose to thumb his nose at the surgeon general and his ridiculous health warnings - one more time!

http://humorpix.com/images/1915-Weird-coffins.html

http://wtfwear.blogspot.com/2007/01/weird-coffins.html

Lyndel
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 21:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

I think the reason is that http://www.coolsiteoftheday.com changes their website on a daily basis. So you have to go to the archives to see recent sites.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Another coffin thing. When I was arranging the mother in laws funeral, I stil smile when I think of it, I saw those really nice metal coffins that have a 'lifetime guarantee'. These are pretty expensive coffins as those who shopped around can tell you. I asked the moritcian, jokingly of course, if anyone every put in a claim. He said that in Oregon a body had to be exhumed for some reason and that there was a nick in the coffin and some mold or something got in there and they did have to replace it on the guarantee! Cool huh?

Kind of related. I went to visit my moms site and dang near on top of her is a family of three. I look around the cemetary and all the stones are pretty much 10 to 15 feet apart and here is this family of three, a mother and two kids, with there stone about 15 inches from my mothers! My mom was a nice gal so I figured she could use the company but I checked into what was up since this didn't make much sense to me. Turned out that this woman and her kids were murdered (this is in San Jose) and had no money so the cemetary found a spot they could fit 'em in and it was next to my mom. Kind of odd, everything uniform then blammo, two stones right next to each other from different families.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 22:38, rossmacrae wrote:
It bothers the heck out of my wife, but I tell her I don't want to be embalmed, and a "green burial" would be just fine, if only because I'd get to proclaim "I'm biodegradable!"

Don't even bother burying me! Burn me up (well, so much for "green") grind me down and stick me in a box, I'm done!

My wife says she has one of two plans for my ashes, either sprinkled in the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyworld (The Haunted Mansion is too crowded these days!) Or figure out some way to sprinkle me over the plants around the Magic Castle (about the only way I'm ever going to get there!)

My wife says her mother tells her of the time they had to plan the funeral of her grandmother (my wife's great grandmother) They tried to sell her mother a coffin with a Sely posterpedic (sp) mattress inside! Her mother, sick with grief, almost went for it and her daugher (my mother in law) had to step in and speak up about the foolishness of THAT selling point!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd love a real genuine funeral pyre, but I think getting permission to do such a thing is almost impossible.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
We had my mother-in-law cremated. She lived on a small island in Puget Sound where the cemetery that her family plot was in was rural and family owned. The mortician, who was a Friend of the family and had handled the services for her husband a few years previous told us that we could save a couple of bucks if we buried her ourselves. He told us where in the plot to place her and how far down to dig.

It fulfilled a life long fantasy of mine to be able to walk into a cemetery with a shovel and start digging a hole. Plus it was a nice way to say good=bye as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
At a funeral home in Carson City, NV (where I stored the in laws) the mortician told me a story about an elderly woman from a specific culture he wasn't familiar with passing away and he was told not to embalm or anything else, just store her for five days. On the fifth day she would be taken out and they would have the service but it had to be outside, culture and diversity ya know. He told me that he goes out to roll the coffin out and these people open the box and gut the corpse to release the spirit! He said he was freaking out because this was in full view of the road and apartments and you can't just open up a body. Can you imagine that?

My brother passed away a couple weeks ago and resides in tuperware.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Thanks Santa, here comes my lunch.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Bleeeecchhh!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dracula Would be Jealous! Weird Coffins! Go out in Style! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL