The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney's Suspension 3001 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Not to be rude...but how does the GOLD cloth 'block' sight lines from an audience in the first few rows that is below the illusion? Unless I am mistaken the gold cloth is only on top of the volunteer. It's the red cloth that blocks sight lines from below.

My understanding of the gold cloth is that it is a subtle way of making sure the volunteers arms stay on top of them...and not drop to their sides...especially if and when the board moves as one of the supports are taken away.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 16:50, videokideo wrote:
Much like the harbin.... why wrap someone in a cloth, makes no sense to what is happening. Must we be wrapped up or covered with a cloth to float? This is why I always hated the chair suspension... has always looked obvious that she is still laying on something after board is removed. And why wrap her up like a mummy.

Ah, but that's where the presentational skills of a master would be most evident.
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
When the illusion is in what I call it's "home state" on stage (prior to the red cloth being rolled across the board) the gold cloth serves a vital purpose in the presentation of this illusion. It's only gold on the top ;-) Once the red cloth is rolled out and in place is when the gold cloth can be and is removed. If the audience is seated close and at an angle below the stage like is common in most performing arts centers in the front 5+ rows the use of the cloth is necessary.

As Don Wayne once told me, magicians tend to over analyze the elements in hopes of creating the "perfect illusion" and it's those details that are not a noticable difference and often too much time is spent on pondering/modifying them by performers. In my opinion having worked with the 3001 for over 4 years now I feel the cloth is just a little something extra that if the audience even notices or thinks about puts more of a hmmmm in their mind. Plus if you watch the effect being perfomed, when the cloth is lifted up and put in place where do the audiences eyes travel to? Why yes...they follow the flashy gold cloth and look up...who would have ever thought fabric could play such a wonderful role in the art of misdirection Smile

As many people aren't aware, Walter's very first suspension (prior to creating the 3001) was a modified version of the Harbin Suspension combined with Abbott's Super X. It didn't use a cloth on top and furthermore the person being suspended was never wrapped in a cloth either yet the performer could walk away completely. Walter has shared pictures with me on this version but he chose not to manufacture and release the effect and instead created the 3001.

A new suspension/levitation I will be presenting in my show next year (with permission from Walter) is what I like to call the Harbin Chair Suspension on crack Smile In front of the audience I assemble 2 metal folding chairs, have the board examined and place it on top of the chairs. From here the volunteer is layed on the board (never covered in any way) and the first chair is removed. When the chair is removed the board falls to the floor on the side the chair was removed which leaves the girl in the standard chair suspension position but with the board at a 45 angle to the floor. From here I remove the second chair and the board falls completely to the floor...leaving the girl suspended in mid air with no supports of any kind around her Smile She then levitates up and down and then finally comes to rest on the stage floor and stands to take her bow.

You can see this effect in my show next year but I have no plans at this time to sell it publicly.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Thanks for all the fabulous advice & Links

Im a big fan of this Illusion having originally started out with Osborne suspensions with & without cloths-I agree
that lay audience don't seem to mind these etc going by after show comments........
Bill Blagg III
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Bill Blagg III
Here's the video of me on the WGN Morning Show that I promised I'd post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8pXiLirLk
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Very cool .. the camera dude was making me a bit nervous, nothing slipped though. I was on the very same program a few years back and we did the Audience Acupuncture. Assisting me was none other than Marshall Brodien. It was fun .. and I'll try to figure out how to get it online.

Yes, I'm the kinda behind with some of the technology .. any kids want to help me out?

Steve
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
As much respect as I have for both the ladder and suspension versions,
I still have a great deal of trouble with it being a “floating board and person”
as opposed to a floating “person”.

I feel it is rudimentary and necessary with a Suspension to be able to remove the board,
and ideally not wrap the assistant up like a cocoon.

With all the other improvements which abound in these versions,
this is one last detail which I think hinders the illusion.

Just my two-cents,
Walt
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Not every illusion is perfect .. remember, we really can't make a little girl float.

Well, unless it involves ice cream ...

Steve
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
However (ice cream aside)
the Jack Gwynne / Robert Harbin version(s) allow for:
--limited or no bulky base
--full removal of board
--no covering on assistant
--ability to walk-away during float
Yes, there are angle concerns (but as you say nothing is perfect).

Magically,
Walt
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I own it, performed it all last summer, and I think it is an effective illusion. Sight lines are pretty good, too. But I think the hoop is what sells it.I will be selling my 3001 soon, but I think I just might hang on to the hoop.

Walt, I know you have mentioned your distaste for floats that retain the board several other times. I don't see the board removal as such a big deal. In fact, I think that Blaney would perform it as an "Anti Gravity Board." Now THAT made sense to keep the board beneath the person!
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 14:27, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
However (ice cream aside)
the Jack Gwynne / Robert Harbin version(s) allow for:
--no covering on assistant

The M.O. for the Harbin suspension does, in fact, require that the volunteer assistant be at least partially wrapped in a cloth. But that doesn't, IMO, automatically signal "method" to the audience. A good presentation can more than compensate for that. Indeed, a good presentation (such as Harbin's) can get extra entertainment value out of the use of the cloth covering.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Bairefoot wrote: "He did not get a clap until he used the ring. I hate to sound mean but I get a better reaction from a regular chair suspension."

If you are refering to the Procraft video I think that all of the sounds in the vdeio are prerecorded and edited into the video. The clapping is, therefore, where Procraft wanted it to be.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Didn't Timothy Drake put the video together? Or am I mistaken? Either way, yes it's edited for effect. I think it's going to get a great reaction if presented well.
Zaubern Smile
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I was fortunate to purchase the last 3001 that Walter Blaney manufactured himself before turning that over to Procraft. I have used it often and it always gets a very strong reaction. I agree with other posts here that the hoop is a critical part of the illusion.

This illusion is truly baffling to audiences when presented properly.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Is Walter still manufacturing the Ladder Levitation?
Zaubern Smile
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Bairefoot wrote: "He did not get a clap until he used the ring. I hate to sound mean but I get a better reaction from a regular chair suspension."
I don't mean any disrespect to Jamie in the video, but he never really gave the audience a chance to applaud....sometimes you run into 'dumb' audiences where unless they actually see someone take off in the air like Superman, they wont applaud until the absolute climactic moment. Now, it also doesn't help that it sounds like this was somewhat of an adult event where people are talking and chatting in the background, which leads me to believe that it was one of those events where the magician was hired for those who choose to watch....just my .02c....maybe I'm wrong...but if this was presented in a theatre setting where people went and paid money to see YOU, it would do ALOT better than those reactions...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It's all in the performer, the sell.... we used to kill with a cheap Super X. Try to find a video of Harbin doing his chair suspension.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
3001 is a Harbin Gwynne walkaway suspension, for the most part, with Blaney's touches.

Ladder is not a robust, and you must use a very light weight assistant. Intricate movements and mechanisms. Brilliant workings, conceptually similar to the 3001 in the eyes and mind of the audience.

I've built and designed several of my own compact Harbin/Gwynne's, and Walter has different views on methods, concepts, dimensions and balance than I do. We have very spirited debates on these concepts, but I am no longer building anything but my Magellans. Walter said that he can't give me a recommendation on the Magellan, because, according to him, he'd never sell another of his own, LOL! The ultimate compliment!

JF
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
As Kevin pointed out, one of the important reasons for the cloth covering the audience member is to keep them still. Not just their arms, but to keep them from wiggling around too much. Regarding the "floating board" argument. Okay, so the board is floating and a person is on it. Is that really any less amazing than just a girl floating? If this were a levitation, I would hate a board moving up and down with the girl. But for a suspension, I don't think it diminishes the effect, especially if you have a convincing hoop pass.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blaney's Suspension 3001 (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL