The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Rubik's Cube DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stryker
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Stryker
I recently attended a castle perk night at the Magic Castle on How to Solve the Rubik's Cube. It was great. They had a whole bunch of people that can actually solve any Rubik's cube, anytime, in less than 20 seconds. No matter how mixed up it was. Unlike the Insta-cube, this was an actual solve of a real cube. It looked like magic to me!

After they did some demonstrations, they took us step by step through the solving process. I thought it would be difficult for me to grasp, but it turned out to be much easier than I expected. Also, they were selling a DVD, "You Can Solve the Cube" that shows all the steps. I went on the website, http://www.youcansolvethecube.com, but I didn't see anywhere that I could buy more of these. I think they would make excellent Christmas gifts.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased? Are they in stores?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17481 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I find it hard to believe they can do any cube in less than 20 seconds Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Called Rain Man technique.

Bam! The future of Rubik's cube.
Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17481 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've read posts that say it can be done that fast and the record is somewhere around 20 seconds. But HOW?
I can barely turn the thing a couple of times per second.

I am performing Tony Eye's cool routine with the cube. (And a little twist)
IT KILLS EM' Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The North American record, as shown on John and Tyler's DVD, is 9.something seconds.

I bought the DVD directly from John George rather than get the package from B&N and have memorized all but the last step of the basic process. I've been distracted with other projects and learn physical processes through repetition rather than memorization, so I'm taking a little longer than most other purchasers will to master the solution Tyler teaches.

The speed cubing section of the DVD shows you how to prepare your cube for speed solving, demonstrates how to chain moves together to increase speed, and then dives into the special cases you'll need to know to start going fast.

Tyler's a very engaging presenter, and the basic method isn't difficult to pick up if you spend some time with it. I've enjoyed working through the process and highly recommend the DVD.

Curt
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 14:15, Psychic Samurai wrote:
I find it hard to believe they can do any cube in less than 20 seconds Smile

I live in Seattle, Washington and if you ever come to visit you should head down to the pike place market. Their is a young man down their who performs with the rubix cube. He can solve it in under 17 seconds as well as he can solve it one handed, while spinning something on his fingertip, and he can solve it blindfolded, for real with no peaks. he is not a magician just a rubix cube guy. But solving the rubix cube under 20 seconds is completly possilbe as long as you have a well conditioned cube and know what you are doing. I can do it in under 2 minutes.
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
As a fan of the Rubiks cube (some of you may have seen my rubiks routine) and someone who's talked a bit with John George about his solve, it's great to see this information surface. It is very possible to solve the cube legitimately in twenty seconds or less! There is a wealth of information on the interweb that will help lead you to such an ability but nothing beats being shown with cube in hand.
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
I wrote a little about my experience at a recent UK speedcubing event here
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
renothecat
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of renothecat
Hello...The DVD is extremely good. I work for Winning Moves - the company that makes the Cube and the DVD product. You can buy it at Barnes & Noble..DVD&Cube come packaged together. Toys R Us sells a gift set with DVD, Cube, and a Junior Cube. I already knew how to solve the Cube but everyone in our office has been able to solve it using the DVD. TYSON is the host (not Tyler) and he does a GREAT job teaching. He's the one who taught me how to solve it. Enjoy!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2008-11-16 15:50, renothecat wrote:
TYSON is the host (not Tyler)

Whoops! Thanks for the correction.

Curt
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11601 Posts

Profile of John C
Why really solve it in 20 seconds or less when you can use insta cube and who knows?

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The explanation lies in the difference between magic and mental magic/mentalism. Magic is about accomplishing an effect using a seemingly impossible method. Mental magic and mentalism are about using a seemingly possible method to accomplish an effect.

Audiences enjoy mentalism because they appreciate the (apparent) process behind the routine, not just the end product.

Curt
John George
View Profile
New user
California
25 Posts

Profile of John George
Hello-

I just saw this post. I would be happy to answer any questions.

The DVD is available through the following link:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Toys-gam......43050211

The DVD teaches the basic solve, speed-solving and the blindfold solve. I produced the DVD along with Tyson Mao. Tyson does all of the explanations. He is a wonderful teacher and is the person who taught me.

Thanks to Tyson I can solve the Rubik's Cube in less than 30 seconds regularly. I can also solve the cube blindfolded. I need to work on getting my time down for the blindfold solve but I was amazed that I could even do it. It isn't as hard as I expected.

Thank you Curt and Stryker for your nice comments about the DVD. I am glad you are enjoying it.

John George
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17481 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What time of a Time Commitment does it require for the normal person to master this?
Thanks
Dave
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
It worked at it off and on for a week until I did my first solo solve last night. My best time now is 2:23 with an unmodified cube (haven't taken it apart and applied a graphite lubricant to the innards). I imagine other folks could learn it faster, but it's in my memory and I understand how each move rearranges the cube.

I'll go on to the speed cubing sections and learn them bit by bit, but I definitely got a bit of a rush and sense of accomplishment that goes with learning a new basic skill. Not to mention an appreciation for cubers who can solve the puzzle more rapidly than I.

Curt
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
So which is better, Mark Elsdon's DVD or John George's DVD?
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
If anyone has this DVD I would be interested to know if they are teaching a blindfold peek method or if you are taught how to really solve the rubix cube blindfolded.

I would hate to think a magic effect was being sold to the public through barns and noble, especially a blindfold effect.
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
737 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
It is a true solve - ALTHOUGH no method is taught for how to actually memorize the various faces of the cube and then apply which algorithms to use. That you can find online. - Scott
John George
View Profile
New user
California
25 Posts

Profile of John George
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 14:03, ChadRees wrote:
If anyone has this DVD I would be interested to know if they are teaching a blindfold peek method or if you are taught how to really solve the rubix cube blindfolded.

I would hate to think a magic effect was being sold to the public through barns and noble, especially a blindfold effect.

You are taught the real method for the blindfold solve. Everything is included. All of the algorithms are attached to the DVD in a PDF format. There is also an example solve written up as a PDF. It isn't taught to be a magic trick. Although all of the cubers are familiar with the peek method-- a competitor in The World Championships of Rubik's Cubing was caught using this method.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 22:40, Count Lustig wrote:
So which is better, Mark Elsdon's DVD or John George's DVD?

Can anyone respond to this question? Thank you for your help!

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Rubik's Cube DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL