The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Rubik's Cube DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
We looked at both and decided to carry Elsdon's because it seemed a little more flowing in instruction. Both are fine products and both will accomplish the end result.

Elsdons just seems "fresh and easier to watch" if that makes sense...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Mmreed,

Thank you for your comment! An interesting comparison. I have seen only the John George version--which struck me as being excellent.

Tom
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Got the DVD. It's great! I have NEVER been able to solve a cube. I've been watching the DVD for the last couple of nights and trying the stuff on and off. I got two of the layers easily and have memorized those steps. I'm still struggling a bit with the top and last layer because I haven't learn the formulas yet.

However, having them written down in front of me I just follow them and have solved it several times now. IN no way am I a speed solver yet, but now I can actually see it as a possible outcome.

Kudos to John & Tyson for putting this out and having it be so easy to follow.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1173 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
A review of BOTH DVD's...

I recently have become interested in the cube...primarily because my son became interested in it...anyway...he was so excited about this little puzzle that I wanted to teach it to him...but I had to learn first!

Anyway, started out with a "book" I purchased on Amazon...it had GREAT reviews...but it was not easy to follow! Next was the John George DVD...after watching it once then watching it again and taking some notes...I was able to solve the cube every time with no problems (with my cheat sheet)...I can not recommend this DVD enough...the teaching is perfect and EASY to understand.

Like Greg mentioned you will be able to solve the bottom side, first layer, second layer, and top side pretty quick. These can be solved with only two formulas and they are dead easy to memorize. It's the top layer that will require you to memorize 3 sets of formulas that consists of about 8 moves each. Again...certainly not difficult...but it will take some practice...it took me about a week of playing with this off and on...now they are like second nature to me and I am able to solve this puzzle in around 2 minutes every time without my cheat sheets!

The John George DVD will give you all you need to know to solve the cube...VERY highly recommended!

I also recently purchased the Rubik Remembered DVD. The method taught on this DVD is different from the method on the John George DVD. Personally I do not like this method and much and prefer the method on the John George DVD as you don't have to look at the cube as much and try to find the proper pieces and where they go. The Elsdon method certainly works...but for me it was a little more confusing and time consuming and required me to use more "logic" when solving the layers. The method on the John George DVD seems like a series of steps that you need to follow as opposed to trying to find piece with the proper colors? Not sure if any of this makes any sense...but this was just my impression of both DVD's.

So which is better overall? Well...if you just wanted to solve this puzzle (or teach you son to do it!) I would say the John George DVD would be better. However if you are looking for "tips and ideas" on how to perform this as a magic effect then you would be beneficial in looking at the Elsdon DVD as well as no performance information is given on the John George DVD on this topic.

I am really heistant to say that either is "better"...both methods work...The George version is more like a "series of steps that just work if followed" and the Elsdon version is more like a "logic problem that you have to reason out which pieces go where".

One man's opinion! Perhaps everyone should buy both and decide for yourself!

Take care friends,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
pickled_chimp
View Profile
New user
will induce RSI after
40 Posts

Profile of pickled_chimp
OK my tuppence on Rubik's Cube DVD's:

I really do not understand why you would pay ANYTHING for a DVD instructional on how to solve the Rubik's Cube. You get a little booklet now when you buy a Rubik's Cube that explains step by step how to solve it. I'm not always great with written instructions but still find them to be clear and concise. Many websites are also dedicated to teaching (with moving cubes images)you for FREE!

Even if you hate reading and do find it difficult there are unbelievable amounts (more than you would really need) of very good and clear VIDEO tutorials on YouTube that will not cost you a single penny.

Once you master the regular solve there are also free video tutorials on how to solve the Rubik's Cube blindfolded, I mean genuinely blindfolded without a peek or gaffed blindfold.

Everything you need is available for FREE, so I do not understand how people are selling any DVDs on Rubik's Cube solving? It really puzzles (pun intended) me???
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
809 Posts

Profile of e-man
Patrick Redford did the most amazing thing I have seen with a Rubik's cube.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 02:06, e-man wrote:

Care to share? My imagination is very powerful Smile
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1113 Posts

Profile of caigy
I watched Mark Eldson's DVD for the first time last night...I feel like a real thicko!...I will persevere though, even if a few cubes end up flying through the window.
pickled-chimp I take on board what you are saying about buying DVD's and I will follow-up on the websites you mention but it was nice to watch and quickly replay each stage in the comfort of my living room, with a nice cold beer (Ahh! that's probably why I'm struggling with it!!) Smile hic!

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com www.MagicSiteUK.com
eb02
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of eb02
Does the DVD sold on B&N called Rubik's cubes you can do it and the DVD Rubik remembered are the same DVD's?
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 04:02, pickled_chimp wrote:

Everything you need is available for FREE, so I do not understand how people are selling any DVDs on Rubik's Cube solving? It really puzzles (pun intended) me???

For me it was a combination of time, money, and opportunity. I found out about John and Tyson's DVD package, realized the kit included an official Rubik's cube, and sprung for the $15.25 at Barnes & Noble. The cubes usually go for around $8 on sale, so the DVD only cost me another $7.25. If it would take me more than a few minutes to find tutorials or web sites I liked, then the extra cost would be worth it to me.

I also considered that John and Tyson's project is endorsed by the Rubik's people, which adds credibility to their publication.

If $15.25 makes a difference to you, and for a long time it would have for me, then by all means turn to YouTube and the web. If you can spend the money and prefer to learn from a higher-quality video, then buy the DVD.

Curt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was in the Navy in 1981 with a guy who could solve a Rubiks Cube drunk out of his mind with his face in a plate full of mash potatos and gravy blowing bubbles through his nostrils and do it in less than a minute and a half, well less than a minute sober and without the potatos.
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I'd like to see the video of that!
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 07:20, mescalitoeyes wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 02:06, e-man wrote:

Care to share? My imagination is very powerful Smile

here you go, no imagination required: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZElGmWs......&index=2
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 18:16, Cody S. Fisher wrote:
A review of BOTH DVD's...

So which is better overall? Well...if you just wanted to solve this puzzle (or teach you son to do it!) I would say the John George DVD would be better. However if you are looking for "tips and ideas" on how to perform this as a magic effect then you would be beneficial in looking at the Elsdon DVD as well as no performance information is given on the John George DVD on this topic.

I am really heistant to say that either is "better"...both methods work...The George version is more like a "series of steps that just work if followed" and the Elsdon version is more like a "logic problem that you have to reason out which pieces go where".

Cody S. Fisher

Confessions of a Rubik's Cube neophyte:

Like Curt Frye and others in this thread, I found the John George DVD to be excellent. (Discussion on the Mark Elsdon DVD follows later.)

With the John George DVD, I did have one rough spot but only because I shut the machine off 10 seconds too soon (after Tyson said "You have just completed solving... and I had not) and I did not hear Tyson giving a warning that the solve he had just demonstrated had a couple of exceptions or extra moves that needed to be applied sometimes (and which he then demonstrated). My bad; not his.

I haven't had the nerve to time myself yet but I find that applying the step-by-step instructions, you can "solve" the cube (and I have done so many times.) For practice, I'm trying to do at least 5 solves a day.

Frankly, I'm having difficulty reconciling in my mind that I actually solved the cube. I feel more like I'm performing a "paint a number" exercise and just filling in the blanks. Technically, it is a solve but I'm feeling something is missing. That said, I am satisfied that I have finally been able to solve the cube without removing the stickers and doing a "cut and paste" number on the cube. (grin)

I know that John George and others have stated that speed solving is possible and that they do so in approximately 30 seconds. I'm not certain that I have the energy, dedication or the mental acuity to be able to achieve the memorization of the algorithms or to recognize the spatial patterns that instantly will translate into certain dictated moves and actions. And, when I'm done, and if successful, will I then have the same let down feeling I described above--namely that I'm just applying rote memorization to a known situation...and acting accordingly?

I guess what I am feeling is being a "non-genius" and, as such, feeling let-down because I know in my heart of hearts that I could never have solved the cube on my own if left to my own devices and logic. and it was only by following a 3rd party set of instructions that I am able to accomplish a "solve".

I just received the Mark Elsdon DVD and, compared to the John George DVD, it is the difference between night and day. While I characterize John George's method as a logical series of moves (i.e., a "paint-a-number" solve), just the brief look I have had of the Mark Elsdon DVD causes me, at first blush, to recognize a distinct difference in methodology.

Cody Fisher described Mark's method as "logic problem that you have to reason out which pieces go where". I would agree. In fact I would even charaterize Mark's method as "organic". (I hope that last comment made some sense.)

What I really appreciate about Mark's method is that he points out a piece that has to be moved and he then points out the location to where you'd need (and like) to move the piece. Mark then takes you step by step and shows you how to achieve that type of move. And he repeats that series of moves more than one time. This is a very nice touch because you don't have to stop and keep resetting the DVD in order to once again follow and learn the move. As a result, when you see that situation occurring during a cube solve, you hopefully will be able to recall the step-by-step that Mark demonstated and then you can apply that series of moves for that specific particular situation.

I haven't gotten into the Elsdon DVD that extensively yet, but, to the extent that I have, I like the approach. That said, I'm thinking that I will find the Elsdon approach more difficult to learn.

My intuitive sense (and my hope) is that, after spending appreciable time with both DVDs and both methods, that I find myself automatically combining the "best of both worlds" and doing a "jazz" solve on my own. (i.e., A little of this...and a little of that.)

In sum, I like both DVDs. They each have a distinct teaching style and both styles are good and both are recommended. I think that if you wish to just solve the da*m cube, then the John George DVD will be easier to follow. If you want to visualize certain moves and understand how and why they work, then I'd give the nod to the Mark Elsdon DVD.

I hope the foregoing made some sense.

Just IMHO; your mileage may vary.

Mike

P.S. Then, after all is said and done, there is then that "speed solve" thing.....
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 14:15, Psychic Samurai wrote:
I find it hard to believe they can do any cube in less than 20 seconds Smile

You actually take the entire cub apart and lube it then put it back together it works smoother that way...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I remember when the cubes first came out in the late seventies or early eighties my brother was obsessed with solving one. He bought a few books on the cube, and could eventually do it. Then my youngest brother picked it up, and solved it first time in under 40 seconds. It put my older brother in his place. But then my younger brother had (still has) an IQ of 160 and a semi-photographic memory.
Interesting to see they are still around.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've just seen mark eldson do his rubix cube blindfolded routine at the london tabula mentis about 4 hours ago...fantastic...nice guy too...well worth getting his dvd...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Rubik's Cube DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL