The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever Find out You Can do something You thought you couldn't? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I worked with a lady whose daughter was hanging out at her boyfriend's band rehearsal. The other members were trying to get him to play a beat that he couldn't get. After numerous tries, she asked if she could have a go. Without any prior musical training, she nailed it the first attempt. Within the year she played on an album and went on a U.S. tour. I've been involved in the music biz for over 20 years. She was rock solid.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I discovered two things when I was in my early 20's. First, that under aged girls really liked me but legal ones didn't and that the only way I could bowl a 200 plus game was drunk out of my mind with a fractured wrist.

My sister was very pregnant and went to a carnival and there was a game that normally no one could win, you know the sort, involving rolling a ball amd making it stop at a specific point. She had to stand at an odd angle and toss the ball the way no one would try and she nailed it every time, no kidding, every time. The guy running the game called people over to watch her do it w/out her going for a prize (they cut her off after two wins for prizes) because he had over the years never seen anyone nail it like that. After having the baby a year later the carnival was back and she couldn't do it...the belly was gone.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***It seems to me that two average people could put their minds together and create a great wedding reception for several thousand $[like 3-8 K]....and use any unspent money constructively.***

Right on Rich!
My kid sister and her husband went to Reno, got hitched then went off on a full blown cruise to Alaska then after they were back a month or so and the weather was predictable they had a balls out bash for all to attend!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Awesome stories up there. I am a firm believer that you just never know and that if you want to, you can do amazing things.
I've never taken art classes. Not even in highschool. Never really drew before at all to be honest. Well, in March of '03, I picked up a sketchebook. It turns out, I can draw in pencil quite well. I mainly do portraits now.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm very unfortunate. It turns out I'm not natural at much of anything, and have to practice long and hard to make any accomplishments. Funny thing is, other people are convinced that whatever I do comes easily to me. Go figure.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
After quite a few hours of hard study I can speak a little Chinese. SO while this isn't that funny the following story is one of my favorites.
While working/relaxing I was chatting to someone and a very annoying young lady (who had been annoying us for days) asked me in Chinese "Why can you speak Chinese?" I replied that I woke up a few days ago and I could just suddenly do it. It must be from listening to it so much. She said "Really?" I said "Yeah" and off she went.
A few minutes later she returned with a friend. Her friend said "I heard you listened to Chinese for a while and then just woke up one morning and you could speak it".
I said "I don't know which idiot told you that but I went to class like everyone else who can speak it"
She never bugged us again.
All I learnt from that is that I have an enormous talent for sarcasm.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
"Ever Find out You Can do something You thought you couldn't?"

Nope. Everything I think I can do ... I can. Now, there are things that I have done during my life that I told myself I would never do and like a self-fulfilling prophecy ... dang. Smile
POOF!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 21:40, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I worked with a lady whose daughter was hanging out at her boyfriend's band rehearsal. The other members were trying to get him to play a beat that he couldn't get. After numerous tries, she asked if she could have a go. Without any prior musical training, she nailed it the first attempt. Within the year she played on an album and went on a U.S. tour. I've been involved in the music biz for over 20 years. She was rock solid.

You mean she never played drums before in her life, and she just sort of fell into it? And it turns out she had an inborn talent?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
For a time, I thought I could not squeeze my hands out of a set of Hiatt 104 non-adjustable darbies (handcuffs). On a recent re-try, I found I could.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 19:37, Justin Style wrote:
I always like to believe I can. I never think that I can't do something, so when I do it, I'm not surprised. And when I don't, I'm not discouraged because 1) at least I tried and 2) it'll be just a matter of time before I do.

You remind me of my friends. We used to go out to the club and they would see a girl across the room, then debate if they should ask her to dance. I would say just do it. They would contemplate back and forth...next thing you know, the song ended…lol

So I say, Get up on that board, hit it hard and spin as fast as you can, and don't worry about wiping out, it's only water!

Here's to you Doug and your new Boogie Shoes!

Tony Manero lives!

ah,ah,ah,ah...stayin alive

:bigdance:

Tnanks man! I put them to work last night in that idol contest I mentioned in my original post. I didn't win, but I placed in the top ten, so I'm pretty tickled.

Plus I met a beautiful girl named Katherine and we seemed to really hit it off.

So it was a good night for me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My friends sister was on American Idol, she came in fifth....I've always said if she put on a pair of jeans and just stood with her back to the audience she would have won. She was up against that Hudson woman when she was put off but they are bestest buds now. The thing she, my friends sister, found out she could do that she didn't realize before was pick a horrible manager.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever Find out You Can do something You thought you couldn't? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL