The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cushman's "SuggestAbilities" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I know there is a thread about Dr. Bill Cushman's latest release "SuggestAbilities" in another section of the Café, but I wanted the Penny-only crew to know what they might be missing.

"SuggestAbilities" may very well be Dr. Bill's best work so far...and, since I'm comparing this to his excellent past works such as "Mind Index" and "The Fource", that is saying a LOT.

This new manuscript is a collection of thought-provoking (pardon the pun) essays supported by powerful routines that demonstrate a practical application of each premise.

There is a lot packed into these 60+ pages. One of my favorite chapters deals with "Justifying The Gaze"...a treatise on gaining information via peeks and glimpses in a more 'innocent' manner.

Plus, as a side-benefit, Dr. Cushman provides a working example of his marketing genius. By placing a photo of himself as a young man on the front page of this book...you are immediately coerced to set up a therapy appointments with him to get the image out of your head. You gotta see it to believe it.

In all seriousness, you really, truly don't want this one to pass you by.

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks for the recommendation! Coming from you, that's a pretty strong one and says a LOT about this book.

Mark.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
I got it as well.
I just started reading it now.
Flipped through the pages and I can predict I am going to enjoy it.
Bill, Palo, Greg Arce, Jerom, Mick and some few more are always a sure bet.

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I truly agree with Mick!

Nathan
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hey Mick, thanks for starting a Penny thread on Suggestabilities. But next time don't give away my subliminal marketing techniques! And to think I came "this close" to making that photo my avatar.

In the email and PMs I’ve been getting, people comment about many different aspects of Suggestabilities but almost to a man, they all mention "Bill and Millard's Excellent Adventure!" By the way, thank you Tony Eye for the title.

Presented as a bonus, it is the tale of Millard Longman and I going "deep undercover" to the weekly service of a local psychic my boss and I were concerned was fleecing one of our patients. My intent was just to share an interesting experience, but apparently there is useful info "between the lines." Trust me, it wasn't on purpose!
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
This new baby from Bill Cushman is a great collection of essays and plots you can apply to your effects.

As Mick Ayres said, there is a lot of packed info in this book.

Alphabody language (and I know it has been said to death) is an interesting manuscript, and in my opinion can be seen as a great piece of lateral thinking.

The Jumping pulse is something that can be applied to a host of other effects to enhance the whole thing (a BLISTER effect would be a good candidate for this one).

Outside the fold is something which can come in handy when you want to do some different “epic”… I knew that already because Bill shared this with me quite some time ago, as a solo effect.

Add to that a good wrap-up and discussion of some Ericksonian principles, which Bill has made very easy to understand for anyone of you without needing to have background knowledge, and you have a great ensemble of interesting and PRACTICAL explorations.

I told Bill he should have priced this higher than the Fource (but that’s my opinion).
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Paolo, thanks for sharing your observations and ideas. I really like the thought of combining The Jumping Pulse with Blister. This immediately made me think of Greg's Citrus Blister from his latest ebook Hands of Time and how they could all be put together!
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Bill,

"And to think I came "this close" to making that photo my avatar"

I used to have an afro like that in my youth. Now, I'm 50 and bald.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Man! What a manuscript!! IMHO, this is Bill Cushman's best work. Hands down. Why so? Because in this manuscript, Bill is illustrating principles that have broad application in the performance of both magic and mentalism.

"Suggestabilities" is not a "coffee table" manuscript and it not an easy read--nor is it intended to be. This manuscript is chock full of nuggets and a quick read will cause you to not see or appreciate these gems. A person must be willing to put in the work and effort to carefully read and reflect upon the many profound thoughts that Bill so generously and unselfishly reveals to the reader.

This manuscript is proving to be an invaluable resource for this reader and will reward me with new thoughts and ideas each and every time the manuscript is read and re-read and then cogitated upon.

Kudos and thanks, Bill--for a job well done. You've outdone yourself with this one.

Mike

P.S. Here's a very brief summary of what is contained in this manuscript:

Ericksonian Extracts (A brief look into the work of psychologist Milton Erickson--emphasis on the principles (and value) of observation and verbal manipulation.)

Alphabody Language (A great "revelation" presentation idea.)

A Suggestion for the Use of Suggestion (A great tip on how a person (i.e., the performer) is be able to effectively and successfully "control" and direct others (i.e., the audience) through the power of suggestion.)

The Jumping Pulse (A very versatile principle demonstrating how strong the power of suggestion can both be and be demonstrated. You'll be trying this out immediately after reading the article--and then implementing the principle in your performances.)

Justifying Your Gaze (Illustrating the correct way to "take a peek" and have it not be noticed by the audience.).

Outside the Fold (A great Triple Prediction effect utilizing the peek principles just expounded upon in the Justifying Your Gaze article. Bill also illustrates what he describes as the "One Behind Nail Writing" principle.

Bill and Millard's Excellent Adventure (A fun but thought-provoking read about Bill and Millad Longman going to a psychic's "church" and being willing audience witnesses to the psychic's three hour performance. As a bonus in this great adventure, you learn a new magic phrase (i.e., "Hocus Pocus Dominocus") to use in serious psychic demonstrations and performances. (grin) I don't want to spoil the story by revealing anything more.)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Mystic, at least that hasn't happened. Though I'm sure the kids who sat behind me in high school wished I was bald back then!

Wow, Turk, what a great and thorough review. The only thing I would add is that A Suggestion On The Use Of Suggestion contains a bit of information to help those who struggle to use suggestion in the first place. A teaching technique I picked up in classes on therapy methods and hypnosis training.

In any case, thanks for putting it all out there and I'm glad you are getting so much out of Suggestabilities.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Where the magic begins
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Dave,

We know...re-read the initial post. By the way, those are the most realistic looking hand-puppets I've ever seen in an avatar...cutest, too.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I just had a chance to give this a first-read (and there will CERTAINLY be more read-throughs of this!) and echo the above comments.

It is most interesting to hear an actual psychologist, who is also a mentalist, discussing Ericksonian principles and how they apply to mentalism.

The reason offered FOR performing a Magic Square was worth the price of admission alone....I can't wait to try it the next chance I get. The entire thing is just a great read and would be a worthwhile purchase to any mentalist.

And the photo....oh, the PHOTO....!

Come on, Bill! Use that as you avatar if just for a little while!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 09:34, Bill Cushman wrote:

Mystic, at least that hasn't happened. Though I'm sure the kids who sat behind me in high school wished I was bald back then!

Wow, Turk, what a great and thorough review. The only thing I would add is that A Suggestion On The Use Of Suggestion contains a bit of information to help those who struggle to use suggestion in the first place.

Bill,

Sorry about the brevity on that particular item. I felt that I was walking a fine line between exposure and brevity and I chose brevity. Unfortunately, too brief. (grin)

Mike

P.S. The kids who sat behind you were very grateful. You could park a car behind that hairdo and never have it show. I'm certian that your hair was used by other student for sleeping, talking to an adjacent student, eating snacks, or, most importantly, hiding test crib sheets. I'd be willing to bet that "the kid with the doo" was very popular and highly sought after.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
In my high school, it was called an "Isro" and mine was the second largest, at least while I was attending. It allowed me to take the old vanishing pencil behind the ear trick to a whole new level. No need to aim. Smile

Don't say I don't have a sense of humor!

Man, is this thread going to get off track!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Second largest?!?

Please tell me you have a photo of you and the guy with the largest standing side by side.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Bill - I hope you don't mind - but I've just used your avatar as my new desktop background....You remind me of a mindreading version of Disco Stu from the Simpsons!
I've asked to be banned
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 17:58, IAIN wrote:
Bill - I hope you don't mind - but I've just used your avatar as my new desktop background....You remind me of a mindreading version of Disco Stu from the Simpsons!

HA! "Dr. Cushman wants you to be... comfortable." Smile
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Great book full of essays, nuances and ideas. You can't lose with a "do" like that either; too cool.

I vote for Dr. Bill for president in 2012.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 15:35, Turk wrote:

or, most importantly, hiding test crib sheets.

CRIB SHEETS? Heck, you could hide a whole other kid in there to take the test for you!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cushman's "SuggestAbilities" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL