We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » True Astonishments DVD Set by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..25..44..63..82..101~102~103 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-17 20:38, Robert M wrote:
I'm disappointed that Paul won't be performing, too, but things change. This is still going to be amazing!! Shoot, I'm still disappointed that the Beatles aren't going to get back together.

Robert


Tony, I agree that it still will be amazing.. It's Paul's project. All effects have to meet his specifications for creating the "moment of astonishment". Paul didn't perform on the Reel magic #1, but his interview was quite profound. The True Astonishments DVD set will have that spirit.

I was watching some Beatles performances last night and thought the same thing about the lads. Just one more show.....in my dreams!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Pauls "aura" in performances will me a sad missing item on these DVD's....will the magic community EVER get the "perfect" instructional DVD??

Yours sad-faced
Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Dying to hear the ad copy and a write up of the effects.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I can't even tell you how much time was spent on the production of these DVDs and developing the material. Any one of the effects on these DVDs could easily have been released as a single trick DVD. Paul takes you on the journey in these DVDs and gives you some wonderful creations created by him and his many friends in magic. It's kind of like Art of Astonishment but on DVD. However I think the material on True Astonishments is more practical overall and stronger overall... and I realize that is saying a lot. In these tough economic times $300 is a lot. This is really an investment for those who want to have an amazing collectors set just brimming with unbelievable ideas, interviews, cool non magic things, etc. I'll let you know when and will start providing a description of each of the DVDs generally at that point. Eventually you will also be able to see the trailer. Again, this is a big investment so Paul wants to provide you with enough information to ensure you are comfortable in your purchase and making an informed decision. I am positive that once people start getting the TA set and watching, word will spread quickly so you will get unbiased opinions. I am also quite positive there will be overwhelming praise. Paul and his team of producers, creators, etc. all really put their hearts completely into this huge project.

Tim
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Paul isn't actually doing the tricks on the DVD's?

That seems quite lame. (Paul's not lame, but the fact that he's not on the discs is).

This thread is populated with fans largely, and I tend to the conservative side, but let's look at a few facts:

1) Paul isn't performing on the DVD's
2) The DVD's are $300.00
3) Nothing is yet known about any of the effects.
4) The most common "hype" today is mention that "any one of these tricks could have been released as a "one trick DVD" but because we love you it wasn't". (here's a tip, nobody in magic marketing "loves you", they do however want your money......which is why they call it marketing).

It's also funny that the folks who had a huge part of developing the "one trick DVD" (Murphy's) now use them as a marketing device to upsell to a $300.00 DVD set).

This release may be fantastic, or it may not be.......but considering Paul's not doing the magic, and considering the high purchase price in very tough economic times, and considering the tricks contained within are complete mysteries at this point........it might be something to actually wait on before purchasing, at least until some solid unsolicited reviews are in.

To date we have an advertising blurb from Tim, and a few dozen fan statements that "these are going to be great because it's Paul"........well it isn't Paul apparently, and nobody posting to date (including me) really has a clue whether this is a good, bad, or indifferent DVD release.

Considering the plethora of crap released in the last few years, it seems somewhat "fan-boyish" to rant on about something folks know absolutely nothing about.

"But it's Paul!!" just isn't good enough to separate me from $300.00 without knowing exactly what I'm getting.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 11:00, silverking wrote:

"But it's Paul!!"



That is all I need to know.

Jason Messina, where is the pre-order button for the signed Paul Harris 9 dvd set? I just looked through my AOA set and popped in my Stars of Magic tape. I feel like a little boy waiting for my parents to go to sleep so I can look at my wonderful present!
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1926 Posts

Profile of ted french
This is our (the magic community) White Album, much like the books this will be required viewing.
P3
practice practice perform.
simonlebon2
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of simonlebon2
+ 1 for silverking
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
+1? Okay, just don't buy it.

Have a great day gentlemen and keep it visual.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Even though I won't be able to get this for a while, I know that it will be a worthy investment. "But it's Paul" is all I need to know. I can't wait to see the effects on it and the reviews!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
We didn't see Paul Harris perform when we bought his books. It was just his writing. So, Paul not performing on the set shouldn't be a reason to not get it. It's his set and Paul is the guiding creative force on it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 18:41, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
We didn't see Paul Harris perform when we bought his books. It was just his writing. So, Paul not performing on the set shouldn't be a reason to not get it. It's his set and Paul is the guiding creative force on it.


No, but on his Stars of Magic tapes and his Art of Astonishment DVD he did perform.
The set will still be good I am just saying that its too bad.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Does Paul at least appear in the video? And is there a reason he does not perform?
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 21:27, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Does Paul at least appear in the video? And is there a reason he does not perform?

I heard that his cards bit his right hand off when his cannible card routine got a bit out of hand. Thankfully those tap dancing aces came to the rescue and sewed it back on. Sadly, because the mentality of a playing isn't the greatest-except for her majesty the Queen of Hearts of course-they accidently sewed it on backwards. At first Paul was really PO'd, but now he realizes that he can achieve an effect where he jumps into a lawnmower made out of playing cards and his hand gets cut off. Astonishing!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 21:27, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Does Paul at least appear in the video? And is there a reason he does not perform?


Tim Trono said "with Paul taking us through this journey. There are interviews between Paul and some of the top magicians in the world". So, Paul is on the set, in some way.

I think Paul is like the host, guiding us through. It sounds like it will be a fun ride.

Quote:
On 2008-11-18 11:00, silverking wrote:
it might be something to actually wait on before purchasing, at least until some solid unsolicited reviews are in.


Who exactly will you trust for that? At $300, it isn't likely to be bought by people that don't know Paul's work. More than likely, they will be big fans.

Can someone be a huge fan and be subjective? I think I can. I didn't like "Reality Twister" or "Lip Smacker" ( and had people tell me "but it's Paul Harris, are you crazy").

Now, I'm also a Paul McCartney nut since the first Ed Sullivan show in Feb. '64 ( I'm right handed and learned to play the guitar left handed to...be like Paul. lol. ) and I HATED his last CD ( probably a few before that also ) so I'm not just a blind fan on things. I can love and dislike a favorite artists work and have no problem saying so.

Paul Harris is the guiding force on the set. He picked everything on it according to his vision. The bar in the market and what Magicians expect in effects and DVD's has raised to higher levels and Paul knows it. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he has made this set to be a grand slam hit.

3 months to go and we'll all know.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Yeah, it's not like Paul Harris hasn't ever lent his name to a product he had nothing to do with the creation of.......oh wait, he has............

So now a DVD set that Paul's not performing in, but he's lent his name to along with a few cameo appearances?

Sounds like there may be some wiggle room when declaring this a "Paul Harris DVD set" (but one that he's not in.)
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-11-18 23:47, silverking wrote:
Yeah, it's not like Paul Harris hasn't ever lent his name to a product he had nothing to do with the creation of.......oh wait, he has............

So now a DVD set that Paul's not performing in, but he's lent his name to along with a few cameo appearances?

Sounds like there may be some wiggle room when declaring this a "Paul Harris DVD set" (but one that he's not in.)


Paul Harris didn't draw the illustrations in The Art of Astonishment books. Does that mean it's not really his book?

The set is coming out in 3 months? Where did you see that Christopher?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:


Paul Harris didn't draw the illustrations in The Art of Astonishment books. Does that mean it's not really his book?

Great try at an analogy, but the AOA set features an author, and an illustrator like hundreds of thousands of other books on the market.

Please highlight for me the comparable relationship between the as yet unknown "guy" performing on the DVD's, and Paul, and how it relates to the tradition of a book having an author and illustrator?

Oh wait, I get it.......Paul is like the guy who bought the 25,000 "Miracle Potato Peelers" from China, and the "unknown guy" on the DVD's doing the actual magic is like the pitchman at Cosco selling the "Miracle Potato Peelers".

OK.....I"M IN, where do I send my $300.00?.......I want to send it tonight!
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Silverking,
Paul Harris hasn't been on a Paul Harris Presents DVD in something like 10 years. What's your point? Not being confrontational, I just don't get it.

He created the vast majority of the material. Other stuff was contributed by friends. Even that stuff, he took and added the PH touch to it. That's what he's good at. Creating and thinking about magic.

The people performing and teaching on the DVD, that's what they're good at. This is, in the end Paul's baby. He put 5 years of his life into it. Once you see it, you'll understand.

I'll be updating the site on a semi regular basis, but always on Thursdays. So check it out. Questions will be answered.....

Best,
Jason Messina
http://trueastonishments.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 00:04, DVLKCC wrote:

The set is coming out in 3 months? Where did you see that Christopher?


Tim Trono said on the first post "Paul Harris' True Astonishments DVD set is finally coming to the finish line and will be available around the first month or two of 2009".

In the 70's I used to have a "Christmas Club" account. Today I started a "True Astonishments" fund.

$300? Give up coffee and sweets and you'll have that in a snap.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » True Astonishments DVD Set by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..25..44..63..82..101~102~103 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL