The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I am wanting drill into the striking part of a hammer what type of drill bit would I need to purchase a diamond bit or a regular drill bit for metal? thanks
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hmmm...good question. You can call a local machine shop and they will be able to tell you.

Good luck. Mark.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
You may have to have the hammer head annealed to get it soft enough to drill a hole of any kind. That would require removing the handle completely the taking it to a heat-treater. It might be a job better left to a machine shop like Mark suggested.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I agree with Tom, take it to a machine shop! The money saved, head aches avoided along with the danger involved without the proper tooling and experience makes the machine shop VERY worth it!

Mick
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for all the help.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
You can most likely drill a hammer with a cobalt drill bit. A lot of it willdepend on the quality of the hammer. I drill a lot of metal and I have drilled everything from stainless to tool steel to aluminum using cobalt bits. A cobalt drill bit will last a long time and probably do the job. I say give it a try before paying someone to do it.
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I have made several Hammers through the years. Every hammer I have made uses a high carbon steel and is hardened or tempered to a hard center and softer edges. This makes the face hardest where the nails will hit and softer where you might chip the edge. If I had to drill the face of a hammer I would remove the head and heat it red hot then bury it in a bucket of lime this will allow the metal to cool slowly, removing the hardness. It may take several days to cool. I believe drilling will be imposible without doing this. You may be able to grind out a hole with a dremill tool and a stone bit.

good luck Magic Tad
formerly Black Smith Tad
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I have made several Hammers through the years. Every hammer I have made uses a high carbon steel and is hardened or tempered to a hard center and softer edges. This makes the face hardest where the nails will hit and softer where you might chip the edge. If I had to drill the face of a hammer I would remove the head and heat it red hot then bury it in a bucket of lime this will allow the metal to cool slowly, removing the hardness. It may take several days to cool. I believe drilling will be imposible without doing this. You may be able to grind out a hole with a dremill tool and a stone bit.

good luck Magic Tad
formerly Black Smith Tad
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Those pesky billets Smile
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Magic Tad, welcome. Were you a farrier as well as a blacksmith?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Tom,
My last farrier was a phenomenal blacksmith! He's all but retired now but forged shoes from bar stock all the time! These kids coming up now don't even know how to light a forge! They can buy any size or shape right out of the supply house! The young guy I use now learned from an old timer and can pound iron with the best of em!

Sorry about the derailment!

FWIW, use a drill press and vise if you take a run at it yourself!

Mick
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 02:17, MickeyPainless wrote:
FWIW, use a drill press and vise if you take a run at it yourself!

And don't forget protective gear! Safety glasses + face shield. A broken drill bit shooting through your cheek might be a little painful.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for all of the help. I use a bill to lemon in my shows throughout the year and around the holidays I like to use walnuts in my holiday show. right now I am using the million dollar money switch with two specators for the bill in walnut. it works great but I like the reaction of having the sign bill in impossible location. I have thought about how to get a signed dollar in a walnut it's possible with an assistant but I wanted a method I could use by myself and that's when I came up with the hammer ideal. basically make a cut out in the hammer to hide the do**ar hand the specator the hammer when they smack the walnut the do**ar falls out giving the illusion it was in the walnut along. any more ideals would be great. thanks and god bless.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
B Hackler- they make wooden mallets used in cabinetry which will look just as good, and be easier to work with. However- I'm not sure the hammer motion will be enough to dislodge the contents of the hole, especially as the hammer will stop on the surface of the table. I'd test it with something cheap first, so you don't waste time and money on a non-working prop.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I have thought about a wooden mallet and proably will try that option. as far as where the do**ar would be loaded would need to be in the side or bottom so the force of the hammer cracking the walnut would release the do**ar. thanks for all of the help.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I think the wood mallet might even look better (more natural?) for nut cracking! By bringing the mallet head down at a slight angle to strike the nut it might help in dislodging the bill! I'll be interested in your results!

Mick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL