The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Mask Magician Exposes Patented Gamalo Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I live in The United States of America bud. That gives me the right to say whatever I want. 1st Amendment... Free Speech... You mighta heard of it.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
BDC, as I said you have made more effort than most do, far more. You also have a solid background in theater. You are correct in that for a successful show the performer must be bigger than the prop but, and this is the big but, to believe that it is okay for magic to be exposed is wrong. I realize you are not, hopefully, saying it is good to expose illusions because the simple fact is if you came out with a completely new conciept people who 'think' they know how it is done will still 'think' they know.

You say the 'real secret isn't the mechanics' and you are correct but I think semantics come into play. The secrets of magic are an extremely important part of magic, without it you do not have magic. The KEY is to be able to present the magic or illusion in an entertaining way. I'm a member of the school where one developes a character, as BDC has, and builds the show around that character, a magical play in a sense. It shouldn't be eleven displays of boxes while pointing, in that sense the character needs to be original, absolutely, but even less people will watch "Secrets of Character Development for Stage Exposed".

Magic is, as Vick said, theater and when Houdin said "a magician is an actor playing the role of a magician" or whatever the exact quote is it should be taken in context of the writing before and after that line. In my opinion what Houdin meant was that when on stage you need to be performing magic as if you really had the powers that you are exhibiting. That means you do not tip the methods, you do not say 'it is just a trick', you are playing the role of a magician the same as if a stage actor was playing a thug, stay in character. The bizarrist, the true ones, understand this, and hopefully more of you will.

BDC, you know who that femme masked magician is? Tip it, exposure is good, it will him him grow as a performer. Note: I still think the most insulting part of that show is the dialog, the masked magician doesn't bother me nearly as much as the host.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 12:51, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
I live in The United States of America bud. That gives me the right to say whatever I want. 1st Amendment... Free Speech... You mighta heard of it.


My guess actually is no he hasn't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
musicman20190
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of musicman20190
Well, I am going to chime in. I do not make a living at performing.

For those who say that exposure is a good thing because it will force more magicians to use original material is ludicrous. People wo are creative and can think out of the box will always create. Those of us who can't, buy DVD's and read books.

In fact, I would argue that it might make someone not publish any material in fear that it would be exposed.


The masked magician may be making big bucks as well as Fox, but when push comes to shove, this type of show hurts the little guy and they should be ashamed of themselves. What is the benefit of having a show like this?. I cannot see one redeeming quality of his type of broadcast.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think I have another thought which will not get me banned.

If you break down magic to no more than the sum of its secrets you may want to think about the way you are doing magic in the first place. The performance is so much more than the tricks, (see BDC as an example) and if you simply say 'oh they exposed my tricks I am not a magician who can fool anyone any more', my contention is that perhaps you were not fooling as many people as you think in the first place. (It is possible you were fooling only one person, yourself)

Is exposure good? NOT the case I am making.

Oh another thought. Guys who expose tricks because they suck at magic (read as a HUGE portion of the magic world) do far more damage than any person who exposes magic on TV.

Why you ask? Well they leave a bad taste in the mouth of the viewer. Seeing the exact same tricks done the exact same way by seemingly the exact same people. Then seeing the exact same tricks exposed because of a lack of talent. Spend your energy trying to tackle this problem.

Or better yet buy a Donkey and find a windmill.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 13:02, MagicSanta wrote:
BDC, as I said you have made more effort than most do, far more. You also have a solid background in theater. You are correct in that for a successful show the performer must be bigger than the prop but, and this is the big but, to believe that it is okay for magic to be exposed is wrong. I realize you are not, hopefully, saying it is good to expose illusions because the simple fact is if you came out with a completely new conciept people who 'think' they know how it is done will still 'think' they know.

You say the 'real secret isn't the mechanics' and you are correct but I think semantics come into play. The secrets of magic are an extremely important part of magic, without it you do not have magic. The KEY is to be able to present the magic or illusion in an entertaining way. I'm a member of the school where one developes a character, as BDC has, and builds the show around that character, a magical play in a sense. It shouldn't be eleven displays of boxes while pointing, in that sense the character needs to be original, absolutely, but even less people will watch "Secrets of Character Development for Stage Exposed".

Magic is, as Vick said, theater and when Houdin said "a magician is an actor playing the role of a magician" or whatever the exact quote is it should be taken in context of the writing before and after that line. In my opinion what Houdin meant was that when on stage you need to be performing magic as if you really had the powers that you are exhibiting. That means you do not tip the methods, you do not say 'it is just a trick', you are playing the role of a magician the same as if a stage actor was playing a thug, stay in character. The bizarrist, the true ones, understand this, and hopefully more of you will.

BDC, you know who that femme masked magician is? Tip it, exposure is good, it will him him grow as a performer. Note: I still think the most insulting part of that show is the dialog, the masked magician doesn't bother me nearly as much as the host.


I agree with everything you said. We just have different ways of saying it.

I *think* I know who he is. I'll tip it when I know for sure.

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 1:33pm
Quote:


On 2008-11-20 13:07, musicman20190 wrote:
What is the benefit of having a show like this?. I cannot see one redeeming quality of his type of broadcast.


well, how many people do you think the show provides a job for?
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
The reason I stopped going to big conventions is because I was being ripped off.
How?

By seeing the same ol B.S. stage shows. Same crap over and over and over. Not only that, but I was tired of seeing repeats of the SAME trick in the same show!

I will bet that not one person here can say they went to a convention, watched the stage show and saw all separate, individual acts with NO REPEATS!?

Magic is the only art where you go to see a show and are subjected to watch the same effect performed more than once but different performers!

Imagine going to see a concert and the opening act, the middle act and the closer all sing at least one of the same songs! Who would stand for that?

Ponderous!!!


Not only do these guys all do the same slop, MANY (if not EVERY) times in the same show!

Pathetic.

I used to sell thumb tips on the street in Times Square. Every now and again some schmo magician would wonder by and complain if not threaten me about "exposing" a secret. I would laugh right in his face and say you want to hear a secret, if you don't haul your butt down the road; I'm going to separate your thumb from your tip.

Expose it all!!!

I am not against exposure.

I am against people who rip people off.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Justin, you continue making little to no sense.

At the end of the day most magicians suck and that is because it is an interesting field that is easy to do for the most part. If you are going to perform, be it for kids shows or large scale illusion shows, do as Bob Dylan said, learn your song well before you play it.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Magicque - please relax, this isn't personal it's an open forum discussion with very different opinions ...

... and if we all thought the same way the world would be very boring


MagicSanta - agreed that most magicians are bloody well awful! Some "tricks" may be pretty much self working (presentation is a totally different story) I don't think performing magic is easy, if it was we wouldn't have so many do so poorly


Seeing the same tricks (can't call it magic because of the lack of performance) over and over denigrates the art and as it's been said here a poor performer exposing but not on purpose harms the art much more than TV exposure on a terrible show


Some of MM's recent exposures are laughable, did you see zig zag girl? His method, very impractical and way too much "work".

If you want real exposure here it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zig_Zag_Girl

You guys up in arms go take on Wikipedia to work off some steam.
Please note I in no way support this exposure but if you're angry about MM maybe take off some steam at Wikipedia and not on posters here


Getting beyond that, if the majority of your audience wonders HOW you did it, then you presentation isn't strong enough
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Smile
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Well. I think I have enough...

Lose your coins, I'm gone and some people here are J---KS...
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
See ya...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Back to Dennis original point.............

If I were Gail, I would quietly file suit against the network, the writers, every advertiser in the show, every network afflilate, mm and any and everybody for mega, mega bucks for lost of income and theft and exposure of patented information. He does have a clear patent on this item.

Do not publize the suit as this is what they want. Just quietly sue the heck out of them and see where it goes. I think there is a very good case for a judgement entry here.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 22:24, hugmagic wrote:
Back to Dennis original point.............

If I were Gail, I would quietly file suit against the network, the writers, every advertiser in the show, every network afflilate, mm and any and everybody for mega, mega bucks for lost of income and theft and exposure of patented information. He does have a clear patent on this item.

Do not publize the suit as this is what they want. Just quietly sue the heck out of them and see where it goes. I think there is a very good case for a judgement entry here.

Richard


Um, no. He no longer has a patent for this illusion as it expired several years ago. Patents do not offer permanent protection. They are only good for twenty years. Plus I'll wager the network has far deeper pockets than the illusion builder and can afford to keep any suit like this tied up in court for years and years.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Guys,
Gale is a lawyer, and he is interested in this, as I have been in communication with him. No details other than Gale wanting a tape of that segment. If, as Payne commented, about the length of a patent was true, then is Gale just curious of another exposing his creation?

Only time will tell.
Dennis Michael
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 13:34, Justin Style wrote:
The reason I stopped going to big conventions is because I was being ripped off.
How?

By seeing the same ol B.S. stage shows. Same crap over and over and over. Not only that, but I was tired of seeing repeats of the SAME trick in the same show!

I will bet that not one person here can say they went to a convention, watched the stage show and saw all separate, individual acts with NO REPEATS!?

Magic is the only art where you go to see a show and are subjected to watch the same effect performed more than once but different performers!

Imagine going to see a concert and the opening act, the middle act and the closer all sing at least one of the same songs! Who would stand for that?

Ponderous!!!


Not only do these guys all do the same slop, MANY (if not EVERY) times in the same show!

Pathetic.

I used to sell thumb tips on the street in Times Square. Every now and again some schmo magician would wonder by and complain if not threaten me about "exposing" a secret. I would laugh right in his face and say you want to hear a secret, if you don't haul your butt down the road; I'm going to separate your thumb from your tip.

Expose it all!!!

I am not against exposure.

I am against people who rip people off.


Careful Justin, you might get a PM from an anyonomous "working pro" who resorts to calling you a jack *** and *** hole for your thoughts and opinions.

Ain't it funny who small minded some people can be?

And if you people reading this think I am talking about you, then I am.

Catch ya on the flip-side!
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Yeah this would be my first taste of 'flaming' since I joined in May.
Thankfully I have tough skin so I take none of it personally. Disagreeing with me, finding my arguement 'really lame' or 'ludicrous' is fair game, I respect that viewpoint. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

But I have to wonder about people who cross the line and tell me I don't belong here, to hide in a closet and I'm a jerk. It's a discussion, not grudge-match...
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Does this look familiar?
patimg1.uspto.gov


Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:08pm
------------------------------
To elaborate more on my previous post here is my view.

It is cycle kind of like the economy. It season ended, newer better illusion where created, and now he is back in this magic recession, and soon it will pass and better illusions will be made.

I know we as a community can tough this out until we hit the recovery or expansion period of magic and illusion.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 13:02, MagicSanta wrote:

BDC, you know who that femme masked magician is? Tip it, exposure is good, it will him him grow as a performer. Note: I still think the most insulting part of that show is the dialog, the masked magician doesn't bother me nearly as much as the host.


I think the the narrator of that show is also the narrator of "Cheaters" in the video investigation segments. And he sounds just as scurrilous, suggestive and lurid as he does on MM. Go Figure...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The fact that the performance is what differentiates is one thing, but it's a weak argument.
There are hundred tousands of people who buy the same car: it doesn't give the right to a third party to steal yours if you properly acquired it with your cash (cash being realy the measure of life time and efforts spent to acquire something).
Now admittedly magicians have a misconception: to deposit a patent, you have to describe precisely what you are protecting. This means you have to reveal exactly the part you protect. You cannot protect an idea, but only a process.

Thus the detestable discloser is doing (relative) dammages to our art but he is only breaking the law if he USES the patented illusion without previously negotiating the royalties. This is where he can be nailed: his performance or reproduction rights of someone else's performance which serves to illustrate his disclosure.
On that ground the IBM could do a class action against the channel for a lot of money but it hs to be based on a legal basis that has ground.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Mask Magician Exposes Patented Gamalo Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL