The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Mask Magician Exposes Patented Gamalo Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I finally deleted the last couple shows unwatched as they are unwatchable. Man, I love magic but that is a horrible program.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Yayyyy we can all go back to complaining about other things now! Smile
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Thank god! And guess what? The sky didn't fall! Who knew? Oh, yeah...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
My point to my entire post (which is now deleted) is that no one has rights to call people derogatory names unless you actually shake hands with them.
Also my entire post did come from my heart three quarters of my post is opinion. I used the internet to aid and in what I am trying to say.
Also FYI I do not own nor used an encyclopedia/ I used the greatest tool created the internet.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 10:20, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Thank god! And guess what? The sky didn't fall! Who knew? Oh, yeah...

I'll let you know if I get anymore "Did you see that show...." remarks. The sky may not have fallen, but it's more dreary and there's more smog out there than ever before... Makes me want to stay indoors sometimes.

Despite my revulsion with exposure I, for one, never claimed that "the sky was falling" in any of it's many permutations.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:11pm
Quote:

On 2008-11-29 07:27, Dennis Michael wrote:
Somebody had a list on another post somewhere

Also, check the wiki
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I don't know about anyone else. but I contacted several of the local advertisers and let them know what they were financing. They seemed very receptive about the idea of moving their advertising dollars Smile
Maybe they did Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-12-02 23:26, MagicSanta wrote:
I finally deleted the last couple shows unwatched as they are unwatchable. Man, I love magic but that is a horrible program.

Pretty boring. If sponsers are paying big bucks and laymen are actually watching that "off" prime cable show, there is still hope for a bad magician act for sure. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wait you mean the show was just so bad that nobody turned in to watch? Wow I bet he got MORE PUBLICITY by people who complained, (controversy right? FUELS the media does nobody learn?)

So the idea that if we just let him go his merry way and his show gets canceled maybe it would be canceled sooner if so many goofs didn't turn in to see "what he exposed from my act" and so forth, complained to advertisers and so forth! I have said this from day one. Let it run the course.

Is it good for magic? I never made that arguement. I am saying that Eric Bischoff wrote a book called "Controversy Creates Cash"! Why play into it? Why not let it go as a blip on the radar? Why not be above it all? Why signal to people you are worried about it? THEN THEY MAY ACTUALLY WATCH THE STUPID SHOW! But if nobody cared in the magic community, what is to watch?

Oh never mind. Choir got all that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
Folks, if you want someone to blame, just look around the magic community.

For as long as tricks are available for sale, we'll have people like MM around. Now, the things are even worse because you can go on YouTube or some video torrent site and download whatever you want.

The only way to stop this is to stop selling your tricks and make a living from performance. That's the only way that would stop most of the exposure. Sure, some people would figure out how stuff works and would expose it but they couldn't figure it out all.

If you sell a trick, don't be surprised if it's exposed!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Once you sell a secret, by definition is it still a secret?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
If it was for sale to begin with, was it really much of a secret?
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Haven't Penn & Teller been exposing magic for 20+ years? Every one of their shows that I see, they manage to expose something but people still keep coming back. I think the important thing to remember here is that not everyone see's these shows and that although some may know the secret, all do not and the magic will still be fresh and new for those who haven't - unless your doing the zig zag that is, man that one is played out Smile
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I'll be uploading part two of my interview with Jim Steinmeyer a bit later today. He discusses the protection of his magic creations and the Masked Magician special in detail. Enjoy!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
250 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Wow, this has been a exciting read today...I am on the fence here because most of the illusions talked about that EVERYONE has...so do I! But I agree that we need to think about our shows in a different direction and speaking for myself would love to if the pricing was directed more to my budget insted of thinking we all have the David Copperfield budget!

I do have a major question though...Pyka - didn't I see your name in the credits for the last Masked Magicians show? I know it's not the same guy, and I know this guy spent some time in Nashville...I am just wondering?

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
I just want to tell you guys that I saw the tv-show before I was into magic, and I thought it was very interesting and fun but I don't think I remembered the methods for very long. And even if I remembered them and I was to see an illusion using the same method, it could be modified just a tiny bit and I would have no idea of how it was done.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say and pardon my spelling.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
The show is pure garbage designed for the General public ,As magigians we all know that most of the effects are not the true version and only designed specifically for the "show" ,Laugh it off guys youre bigger than that.
Mark
E.O.I
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 15:09, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Boys, it is time to face the music and re-examine what we do and why. I know I'll get flamed. I know I've just made enemies. But it needs to be said. Long live the Masked Magician!

I'm not at all religious, but Amen to that!

Chris
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 21:03, Magicque wrote:
You forgot one thing...There are still magicians out there who feed their children with "old" illusions...
I'll answer your question. Yes, you don't belong here.

Speaking of "Old" Illusions, did anyone see the Civil War Operating Room Table effect on Masters of Illusions the other night? I really was taken aback by that effect. Simple, elegant and very well performed. Give me one or two of those in a show and I know that the future of magic is assured! Who developed that effect? It really left me wondering...
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
As much as I hate exposure it will always be there. Be it via the internet, tv or just accidently during a performance. All that we can do as individuals is try and create a show that suits who we are. It is our individuality that can never be taken from us. I think that the way to combat exposure is to perform the same effects that are being exposed in such a way that even those who are "in the know" have absolutely no clue how you did it because you have added that little extra something that was left out of the other performances.

Try and look at the effect and see how it can be changed to look the same but cancel out the exposed method as a solution. You will have the entire audience second guessing the true solution. It is a passion of mine to take classic effects and modernize the methods giving them new life.

After all a car is just four wheels and an engine so why are there so many different brands? Because we all have different likes and dislikes. We want something that suits us. In our budget, lifestyle, belief system, whatever.

I am not condoning exposure. I just think our time is better spent looking at what we have and how we can improve upon it and make it as new and as fresh as we can for our audiences.

We as performers owe it to this art we love so dearly and the audiences we entertain. Keep doing that zig zag, cig thru quarter, gamolo, and anything else that is exposed. Find a way to make it your own and you never have to worry about what others are doing.

We all had magic exposed to us at one point in our lives so that's how we learned. The difference is we are taking the time and energy to hopefully develop and give back to the art that gives so much to us.

Life is way too short. Now get off this subject and get to making that magic come from you not your props!!

Max
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
We can spend more time talking about a show that hasn't been on TV in weeks .. or we cold promote the one that is on and praise the change in programming.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Mask Magician Exposes Patented Gamalo Levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL