The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Reviews Requested: Stealth Retractor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Can anyone give a review of the Stealth Retractor?

Some things I'm specifically interested in knowing:

1. How loud is it?
2. Why would you use it rather than an ITR?

Thanks!
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
It is totally silent. Would I use it instead of an ITR? Never, never, never.

The Stealth Retractor has very limited uses being that it has to be held in the hand to operate. Plus, with a new battery the Retractor will pull the thread so hard that it often breaks. Also with a battery opertated item if the battery dies then you got a non-working trick on your hands and usually at the worst possible time.

I have the Stealth Retractor and I am a very big thread magic kind of guy but I have yet to use it.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
You would use it for PK effects rather than the mainly floating effects possible using an ITR. Moving pencils, sugar packets, straws across tables, flying a chosen card upwards from a deck, etc. It's not a replacement for an ITR, it's a different tool altogether.

Brian
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I have the SR and have used it once.

I just don't find it as practical as a real.
You pay an arm and a leg for it and you are very limited to what you can do with it.

I did it once and got a really good reaction from it but just found that an TR is better and easier.

I borrow a dollar from a spec and crumple it up and throw it to the ground and snap my fingers and the bill comes flying back to my empty hand.

Other than that i rate it at a Smile Smile Smile

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Ditto for me, too. I've used mine once or twice to move a napkin while dining out with friends. Other than that, I've found limted uses for it. I do like Brad's idea about the dollar, though.

Bill Beach
scottlurowist
View Profile
New user
Wappingers Falls, NY
52 Posts

Profile of scottlurowist
I know the internals have been reworked so that the *** doesn't break as easily.

The problem I have with it is that the *** that you must put at the end of the *** sometimes falls off. I'm trying to be as vague as possible, so PM me for more details.

Ammar's DVDs has some nice uses for it. But it's like the difference between a phillips head screw driver, and a common screwdriver.
euphoria5150
View Profile
Regular user
Russell Jeanneret
110 Posts

Profile of euphoria5150
I use it for the 'Rising card' effect after another 'in the hand' version of the rising card. It's gutsy to try but when executed right can really amaze your audience. In my routine, you start clean with out the SR in your hand and you end with the SR not in your hand. Very clean. Also, I have moved a few napkins with it while at a bar. Go to sit your drink down and the napkin flys down the bar from about 10 feet away to stop under your glass. I have had a lot of waitress do a double-take on that one. It's great, if you act like nothing has happened or to perhaps look them secretly in the eye and just go 'SHHH'
Theater, cinemas, and literature are all better forums for telling stories or creating drama. Stand-up comedy is better for telling jokes. But magic is unique in creating the Twilight Zone sense of turning a corner and finding yourself on another street, in another town, in another country. Deception is the means to that end. –John Bannon
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Check out the new Spider pen and I think you'll find it will make your SR obsolete. I have a SR and have used it very very little and now that I just got my Spider pen, I am thinking of selling my SR. This is now the hottest thing out there. Email if you are interested in the SR. I think you will get more use with the pen than you will with the SR device. Just my opinion.

Snidini
grant_gilson
View Profile
New user
Orange, Texas
64 Posts

Profile of grant_gilson
Snidini:

Where did you get it? I am wanting one of these badly.

PLease tell me, I cant wait!

Grant
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
I have had mine for a few years... and I normally use it in conjunction with other effects. IE ... Performing the ghost mirror...I will enhance it by having an object move by the ghost first... but to be honest for what I paid for it.. I don't use it enough.
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
I have a spider pen and an SR. I like both, but the spider pen is more versatile.

Also, to make the SR easier to activate, put a drop of elmers glue on the button and you can then tell which side to press (and it is easier to press) without looking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Reviews Requested: Stealth Retractor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL