The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rocky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
We have a thread for everything else...

Which was the best Rocky movie? I say Rocky IV.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I liked this last one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The last one was definitely good, it wasn't in the same spirit as the other ones. A helluva lot better than Rocky V though. At least Stallone didn't do to Rocky what they did to Indiana Jones.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
1976 original was clearly best. Shot in 28 days for 1.1 Million and won 3 Oscars.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
First one and the last one ...
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
The first one was a great movie!

I always thought the reason it was so great was that Rocky lost. Not only did he lose, but the night before the fight he tells Adrian the he KNOWS he's going to lose--that he is just "not in Apollo Creed's league." Then, he redefinines what victory is FOR HIM.

Then, at the end of the fight, you only hear the judges announce the decision in the background, because it doesn't matter, Rocky already achieved what he wanted to.

I always thought that was a really wonderful thing.

(Plus, I really dug Creed's trainer, the only guy who saw that Rocky might actually be a little dangerous.)
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
There is a Rocky marathon on Verses (VS--channel 603 on directv) on Thanksgiving day.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
1 and 2
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 11:29, Big Jeff wrote:
There is a Rocky marathon on Verses (VS--channel 603 on directv) on Thanksgiving day.

I'm visiting my parents for Thanksgiving, and they have DirecTV, guess I'll have to tune in. Thanks!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Certainly, the original.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Come on! ROCKY III. Mr. T in his prime! Hulk Hogan before he became a reality star/street drag racer who cripples people. It was big, dumb and fun; what more can you ask of a movie?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I was waiting for someone to bring up III, but IV has the best training montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvoTDoO9Hg
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The first one was really my favorite.

I have to say the idea of him getting smarter, dumber, and such really is sort of strange.

I don't think it should have been best picture that year, but hey that is just me.
It was a good movie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Yes, that was the same year that TAXI DRIVER, THE OUTLAW JOSE WALES, MARATHON MAN, THE OMEN, THE SHOOTIST and ATHE MUPPET MOVIE came out, so you might be right, Danny.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I like #1 best…

I think it won best picture because we were going through the 70's and everything was not so good. The Bronx was burning and NYC in general was a wild scene, the city was broke and corruption was out of control. Not to mention what was going on in the rest of the country.

Rocky represented all of us who were down and out. Rocky was a rags to riches story and we all needed to believe in something at that moment in time. By the movie winning it gave us hope that things could get better...and they did.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For pure entertainment, I put III on top (due to the indefatigable Mr. T), followed by IV (vs. the Russian).

However, I agree that the first was the better crafted movie (to me).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
Yep yep the first is a great movie I thought he kinda spoiled
the whole thing by doing more
its totaly lost the magic now
I used to get a shivver when the music came on after the fight
and pretend I was a boxer with my bro and beat the crap out of each other
ah the innocence of childhood
the third was also good (just)
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
None of the sequels even come close to the first.

Rocky was a legitimately great movie. Not just a great Rocky movie, and not just a great Stallone movie. It was simply a great movie, and the only one in the series that can truly be called such.

Rocky II was good, but not great, and tried too hard to reproduce the original.

Rocky III was so-so. By this point, Stallone had put any notions of artistic movie-making behind him and was just going for box-office bang. If you can say a film series jumps the shark, Rocky III was the shark-jumping film.

Rocky IV was absolutely brutal. It was a Cold-War-inspired hand grenade that ended with a schmaltzy, phoney, contrived message of peace. If was full of cliche and cheeziness. It started to go south as soon as Pauly gave that *** robot to Rocky's kid ... and as I recall, that was the first scene after the opening credits. Ugh, what a terrible movie.

Rocky V? It wasn't just bad -- it was an insult to our intelligence. Stallone realized he'd gone too far away from Rocky's roots. So he gave him brain damage to get him back to being dumb again, and made him poor. It was a sad effort to recapture the magic of the original. And to top it off, they put Rocky and Adrian back in their old neighbourhood, with Adrian in her old pet shop job and Rocky at the gym. Oh, please. It also had some horribly one-dimensional characters, like his kid, the Tommy Morrison character, the promoter. It was an attrocity.

I haven't seen Rocky Balboa. I've heard it's better than some of the other sequels, but III, IV, and especially V killed my interest in the franchise, and I'm not going to bother with the pure cash-grab sixth film until it's on TV, for free, when I have nothing better to do.

The first film was the best. It's not even a contest. The other films actually detract from the original.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree. The first one was by far the best. However, I also was surprised at how good the last one was. He went back to the formula that really made Rocky was endearing.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
The first one and last one were my fav. I found the second, third,forth and fith lost Rocky's character and story. Rocky Balboa was a nice finish as it went back to it's roots, the way it should have been.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rocky (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL