The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What have you done to help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I would agree with most of the people on the left but hey ...I do not want to be wrong too.

NUMS
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My relatives don't call themselves Native Americans or Indians. They call themselves Tigua's. I call myself a Native American since I was born in this country. My father called himself an American but others called him an Irish-American since he was an immigrant and naturalized.

As to global warming...as Lobowolf suggests there are two (at least two and actually more) not so distinct things being talked about. That they seem to be talking about the same event using the same data only adds to the confusion.

The first is the natural cycle of the planet. This cycle is being closely observed and measured. There are artifices in the measurements especially as compared to measurements made 50 or 100 or more years ago. The precision of the earlier measurements are assumed as precise as those being made today (they are not – there is a significant error factor).

Interestingly the observations and measurements are being used as “proof” that the phenomena are not natural but rather caused by man. This is the second thing being talked about.

This argument is being made mainly by a new secular religion that has come to believe and tout the phenomena as man made and needing to be "fixed" and "fixed" immediately at great expense. This is akin to religion selling the idea that man is evil or sinful and needing to be saved.

I suspect that global warming will, regardless of any vain, albeit dramatic and expensive, attempt to avert it, take its natural course.

If the whole planet of humans decided tomorrow to stop driving cars, burning fuel of any kind, stopping using plastics, etc, etc, the cycle would continue unchanged. Frankly, humans have very little impact on the globe. Of course the whole planet of humans don’t all live in the same century nor can they agree on much of anything.

But then again I could be wrong!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I just saw another "lets get green" type of commercial. My TV is about to die.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 23:39, Harry Murphy wrote:
My relatives don't call themselves Native Americans or Indians. They call themselves Tigua's. I call myself a Native American since I was born in this country. My father called himself an American but others called him an Irish-American since he was an immigrant and naturalized.

As to global warming...as Lobowolf suggests there are two (at least two and actually more) not so distinct things being talked about. That they seem to be talking about the same event using the same data only adds to the confusion.

The first is the natural cycle of the planet. This cycle is being closely observed and measured. There are artifices in the measurements especially as compared to measurements made 50 or 100 or more years ago. The precision of the earlier measurements are assumed as precise as those being made today (they are not – there is a significant error factor).

Interestingly the observations and measurements are being used as “proof” that the phenomena are not natural but rather caused by man. This is the second thing being talked about.

This argument is being made mainly by a new secular religion that has come to believe and tout the phenomena as man made and needing to be "fixed" and "fixed" immediately at great expense. This is akin to religion selling the idea that man is evil or sinful and needing to be saved.

I suspect that global warming will, regardless of any vain, albeit dramatic and expensive, attempt to avert it, take its natural course.

If the whole planet of humans decided tomorrow to stop driving cars, burning fuel of any kind, stopping using plastics, etc, etc, the cycle would continue unchanged. Frankly, humans have very little impact on the globe. Of course the whole planet of humans don’t all live in the same century nor can they agree on much of anything.

Well stated! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 20:49, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 18:00, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Even if he is right in every detail, he does NOT argue against global warming. He argues that it is of a lower magnitude than some people claim, and he claims (without justification so far as I can see) that current programs to counter C02 emissions are not economically justified.

Without speaking for Scott, and without supporting the argument he cites (haven't read it), I think that the thread speaks to an equivocation that is commonplace in global warming discussion. On the one hand are discussions about "global warming" (gradual (relatively) recent increases in the earth's temperature), and "Global Warming" (cap G cap W -- statements of aggressive certitude about the nature, extent, causes, and future of the phenomenon). There's more certainty about the former than the latter, and many people who argue "against global warming" are not disagreeing with the first, but rather disagreeing with the second, and largely motivated by the Law of Unintended Consequences, and the fact that potential "cures" may be worse than the disease.

This post is not intended to suggest anything other than the importance to distinguish what is meant by different people talking about "global warming," because often, discussions are semantic in nature; what one person means by the term is not always what another person means by it.

I agree. I just can't see why you quoted my material.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 23:39, Harry Murphy wrote:

I do think this was the smartest thing said so far. Everything will take it's course regardless. Because whether the warming is manmade, or just naturally occuring, the temperatures will continue to rise. My thing is even if we eliminate the idea of global warming, we are still polluting and overusing our resources. I think that needs to be improved and home and business changes could help that. I shouldn't have said anything close to global warming because obviously people dislike the idea of it. It's cool though, everyone is entitled and I could very well be wrong even though I'm pretty sure of myself. People were certain the earth was flat, maybe man doesn't have that big of an impact on warming. But, I will continue what I think is right as most will.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are wrong and paranoid but since you are from Chicago I'm on your side. So go, relax, walk everywhere and eat something they tell you is organic.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 01:07, MagicSanta wrote:
You are wrong and paranoid but since you are from Chicago I'm on your side. So go, relax, walk everywhere and eat something they tell you is organic.

Sounds good!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
David: 2 things..the temperature is NOT continuing to go up world wide on a consistant basis...it is computer modeled to go up. And 'people' in general did NOT think the world was flat. Sea farers certainly didn't. For an interesting read Wikipedia has a well written rundown for you... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Nobody says be a litter bug or go ahead and pollute the oceans...I for one can get militant about the seas and what pollution and over fishing is doing to them...(NO...drilling for oil does NOT affect in a negative way, it IS chemical runoff and dumping and horrendous depletion of the fisheries by rogue states)...what we are pizzed about is he phoney money grab and political power manipulations of bogus experts and politicians trying to manipulate for THEIR OWN PURPOSES and totally outrageous carbon Footprint scam. Follow the money....follow the grants and the 'scientists who rely on them and those who don't. Don't just listen to the public service anouncements and fall in step.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 04:02, Doug Higley wrote:
David: 2 things..the temperature is NOT continuing to go up world wide on a consistant basis...it is computer modeled to go up. And 'people' in general did NOT think the world was flat. Sea farers certainly didn't. For an interesting read Wikipedia has a well written rundown for you... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Nobody says be a litter bug or go ahead and pollute the oceans...I for one can get militant about the seas and what pollution and over fishing is doing to them...(NO...drilling for oil does NOT affect in a negative way, it IS chemical runoff and dumping and horrendous depletion of the fisheries by rogue states)...what we are pizzed about is he phoney money grab and political power manipulations of bogus experts and politicians trying to manipulate for THEIR OWN PURPOSES and totally outrageous carbon Footprint scam. Follow the money....follow the grants and the 'scientists who rely on them and those who don't. Don't just listen to the public service anouncements and fall in step.

Okay I can understand everything you are saying. It would be nice though, to have non polluting energy though. And, to have wildlife rebound and be more plenteful. There are things that people can do to help that. Good talk.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Now your talkin'. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 15:48, plasticdestiny wrote:
The original 6 seconds were that good?

Destiny

:jump:
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Okay.

Let me think for a moment. There's two possibilities and two options:
1) Man-made global climate change is real.
2) Man-made global climate change is not real.
a) We do something.
b) We do nothing.

If-
1a) We save multiple species, including our own, from hastened extinction. Our great-great-grandchildren have a biologically diverse world to play in. Oh, and oil-focused energy companies have to diversify or go bankrupt.
1b) Oil-based energy companies continue to get very rich, but 50-100 years from now, the population is greatly reduced by climatic disasters. The rich decendants of the oil-based energy companies survive by living underground for a few decades until they are wiped out by malnutrition and ennui. Eventually, the earth's atmosphere is indistinguishable from the atmosphere of Venus.

2a) We still save biodiversity for our great-grandchildren. Oil-based energy companies still diversify or die- but as a perk, America's no longer dependant on foreign oil.
2b) The oil-focused energy companies continue to make a lot of money. The rest of us, not so much.

Game Theory would indicate that a) is the best course of action for the human race to take in either possibility. Unless you work for an oil company.

Oh- to those who think going green will plunge us into a global economic recession- we're already plunging towards a global economic recession. Green technology may just be the way to pull us out of it.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Forget all that a and b stuff.

I'm just going to buy lots of carbon credits
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

This thread points to a global failure in science education.

At the very least, try to remember that your evidence should be of greater magnitude than your conclusions.

John
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 12:49, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

True, it points to junk science and faulty modeling.

The title alone points out a global failure in education: Global Warming - What have your done to help?
POOF!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-11-22 12:59, kregg wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 12:49, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

True, it points to junk science and faulty modeling.

The title alone points out a global failure in education: Global Warming - What have your done to help?

Ok That's a large conclusion. What's your evidence?

John
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Facts.
POOF!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-11-22 13:02, kregg wrote:
Facts.

Name one.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
HEY! SLOW DOWN FELLAS...

...Sheese! You're posting faster than I can read.

Of course, I can't read too fast. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What have you done to help? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL