The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What have you done to help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 09:31, stoneunhinged wrote:
Why mow your lawn at all?

Oh! well, now you're just being a reactionary right-wing jerk! Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I think the leftys are right on the Lawn mowing score...I opt for the Fred Flintstone model of the Lobster with wheels. Now that's progress! (and subsequent dinner)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 15:31, Doug Higley wrote:
I think he went to celebrate CHANGE.

The Clintonistas are baaaaack! Some Change. haha

Cool! I'll take another decade of relative peace and domestic prosperity any time...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Presidents serve a whole decades???
POOF!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Haha...you are definately jumping the gun. Talk to me in a year.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
This just in: Scotland and northeast England are expec......tomorrow

Quote:
On 2008-11-21 16:37, kregg wrote:
Presidents serve a whole decades???

According to 0bama's interview on "Meet The Press" (starting at about 8:30 in this video), he expects to be president for the next 8-10 years.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 16:38, Doug Higley wrote:
Haha...you are definately jumping the gun. Talk to me in a year.

True. I'm not expecting any miracles from anyone anytime soon. We're screwed, we've been screwed, and it's just going to get worse before it gets better.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
You guys are so stubborn you'll be sitting in a Cat 5 hurricane saying "Whatever this is, it's not global warming!"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
You'd better bone up on hurricanes before using them as an argument.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/02/21/no......ruction/
POOF!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"Yo mamma so stupid, she thought a Cat 5 was a snow machine! ... And then it destroyed New Orleans!" BWAhahahaha!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The degree to which you think a hurricane is caused by global warming, is inversly proportional to what you know about how a hurricane is formed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I recall that after Katrina, or "The Hurricane That Last Forever", the Warmers said that the following year would be double the class 5s, then more and more and....what happened to 'em?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 16:32, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

Cool! I'll take another decade of relative peace and domestic prosperity any time...

Of course, part of providing that peace involved ignoring the first WTC attack, which might arguably have had down-the-road adverse effects...

Ah, the irony of this appearing in a "Hey, how can you do nothing?! This is important!!" thread.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 17:13, gaddy wrote:
"Yo mamma so stupid, she thought a Cat 5 was a snow machine! ... And then it destroyed New Orleans!" BWAhahahaha!

For the record, Katrina was downgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3. Plus, the hurricane didn't destroy NO. Backwash and poor zoning did it in.
POOF!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I see my first hurricane joke or my second "Yo Mamma" type joke didn't illustrate that I, in fact, do not think that hurricanes are caused by global warming. SO I guess I'll just state that here is as unfunny a way as possible.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:

Actually I think that particular mamma joke says..."Your Governor so stupid, he was told his levies wouldn't sustain more than a Cat 2 and then a Cat 4 destroyed New Orleans!"
LOL!

A variation of that one is...

"Your governor so stupid he was told assistance was ready, sign the papers but refused for 1.5 days. But the Feds took to long!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
First, the short argument against man-made global warming (courtesy of Coyote Blog):

1. CO2 does indeed absorb reflected sunlight returning to space from earth, having a warming effect. However, this effect is a diminishing return -- each successive increment of CO2 concentrations will have a much smaller effect on temperatures than the previous increment. Eventually, CO2 becomes nearly saturated in its ability to absorb radiation. The effect is much like painting a red room with white paint. The first coat covers a lot of red but some still shows through. Each additional coat will make the room progressively whiter, but each successive coat will have a less noticeable effects than the previous coat, until the room is just white and can't get any whiter.

2. In the 20th century, the UN IPCC claims Earth's surface temperatures have increased by about a 0.6 degree Celsius (though there are some good reasons to think that biases in the installation of temperature instruments have exaggerated this apparent increase). To be simple (and generous), let's assume all this 0.6C increase is due to man-made greenhouse gasses. Some may in fact have been due to natural effects, but some may also have been masked by man-made sulfate aerosols, so lets just call man-made warming to be 0.6C.

3. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, it is thought that man has increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations from 0.028% of the atmosphere to 0.038% of the atmosphere. Since scientists often talk about the effect of a doubling of CO2, this historic rise in CO2 is 36% of a doubling.

4. Using simple math, we see that if temperatures have risen 0.6C due to 36% of a doubling, we might expect them to rise by 1.67C for a full doubling to 0.056% of the atmosphere. But this assumes that the rise is linear -- and we already said (and no one denies) that it is in fact a diminishing return relationship. Using a truer form of the curve, a 0.6C historic rise for 36% of a doubling implies a full doubling would raise temperatures by about 1.2C, or about 0.6C more than we have seen to date (see chart below). This means that the magnitude of global warming in the next century might be about what we have seen (and apparently survived) since 1900.

5. Obviously, there is some kind of disconnect here. The IPCC predicts temperature increases in the next century of 4-8 degrees C. Big difference. In fact, the IPCC predicts we will get a 0.5C rise in just 20 years, not 70-100. Whereas we derived a climate sensitivity of 1.2 from empirical data, they arrive at numbers between 3 and 4 or even higher for sensitivity. The chart below shows that to believe sensitivity is 3, we would have to have seen temperature rises due to man historically of 1.5C, which nobody believes.

6. So how do they get accelerating temperatures from what they admit to be a diminishing return relation between CO2 concentration and temperature? And for which there is no empirical evidence? Answer: Positive feedback.

7. Almost every process you can think of in nature operates by negative feedback. Roll a ball, and eventually friction and wind resistance bring it to a stop. Negative feedback is a ball in the bottom of a bowl; positive feedback is a ball perched precariously at the time of a mountain. Positive feedback breeds instability, and processes that operate by positive feedback are dangerous, and usually end up in extreme states -- these processes tend to "run away" like the ball rolling down the hill. Nuclear fission, for example, is a positive feedback process. We should be happy there are not more positive feedback processes on our planet. Current man-made global warming theory, however, asserts that our climate is dominated by positive feedback. The IPCC posits that a small increase in temperature from CO2 is multiplied 2,3,4 times or more by positive feedbacks like humidity and ice albedo.

8. There are three problems with these assumptions about positive feedback. One, there is no empirical evidence at all that positive feedbacks in climate dominate negative feedbacks. The 20th century temperature numbers we discussed above show no evidence of these feedbacks. Two, the long-term temperature record demonstrates that positive feedbacks can't dominate, because past increases in temperature and CO2 have not run away. And three, characterizations of stable natural processes as being dominated by positive feedback should offend the intuition and common sense of any scientist.

9. An expected 21st century increase of 0.5 or even 1 degree C does not justify the massive imposed government interventions that will be costly both in dollars and lost freedoms. In particular, the developing world will be far better off hotter by a degree and richer than it would be cooler and poorer. This is particularly true since sources like an Inconvenient Truth wildly exaggerate the negative effects of global warming. There is no evidence tornadoes or hurricanes or disease or extinction are increasing as the world warms, and man-made warming advocates generally ignore any potential positive effects of warming. As to rising sea levels, the IPCC predicts only a foot and a half of sea level rise even with 4 or more degrees of warming. Sea level rise from a half to one degree of warming would be measured at most in inches.

If there's some point whose detail you'd like to argue, check out the longer version of the argument first.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 17:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 16:32, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

Of course, part of providing that peace involved ignoring the first WTC attack, which might arguably have had down-the-road adverse effects...

Ah, the irony of this appearing in a "Hey, how can you do nothing?! This is important!!" thread.

Meanwhile here in the present... the measured, cautious yet decisive, actions taken by the current administration have solved all our problems in this regard at no cost to us whatsoever. Forever!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well gee Gaddy, it isn't like we can just gas the entire region. Good suggestion though, you going to the riot tonight?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 17:28, MAKMagic wrote:
Quote:

Actually I think that particular mamma joke says..."Your Governor so stupid, he was told his levies wouldn't sustain more than a Cat 2 and then a Cat 4 destroyed New Orleans!"
LOL!

A variation of that one is...

"Your governor so stupid he was told assistance was ready, sign the papers but refused for 1.5 days. But the Feds took to long!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

but that's not a joke. A joke has a punchline and, at least, attempts to be funny. You were just stating facts, and out of context at that. Also, you used the word "governor" instead of "mamma" which really limits the comedic potential. Just saying....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Warming - What have you done to help? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL