The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you wrote "13 Steps" (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
I think few people will disagree that "13 Steps" is one of the, if not THE, most important work in Mentalism. However, since the book was released quite a few years ago, many effects have appeared on the Mentalism scene while others disappeared. Imagine that you are writing "13 Steps" today. How would you name the steps; which new ones would you include, which would you take out, etc. Remember, this is your book so you can do whatever you want.
-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1617 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I loved 13 Steps when I first got it, I still think it is a really valuable text. Not a definitive list, but I would add in:
Preshow
Suggestion
Dual Reality
PK & Metal bending

These seem to be some of the big 'principle' developments in recent years. I would also add a section about developing your own character and premise (no surprise there) as that stuff is key to performance.
Great question BTW!

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I've been thinking about this a bit myself. I'd probably break it down into 9 steps, each a separate book. I'd focus exclusively on things that can be done impromptu or seemingly impromptu.

1) Would deal with Ways to Secretly Learn Information (Billet
Tears/Switches/Peeks, SR, MR, Technique, seemingly everyday objects that can
aid in the cause like wallets, aids provided by the audience
unknowingly)
2) Would deal with Ways to Secretly Write Information (Basically, Chap. 1 with a few more recent developments added)
3) Would deal with Memory Systems/Anagrams
4) Would deal with Forces & Suggestion
5) Would deal be titled Miscellaneous, and would deal with Situational Effects (e.g., Pre-Show and Weather-Related Mentalism), PK Effects, & Effects that Employ Confederates
6) Would deal with Cold Reading
7) Would deal with Hypnosis
8) Would deal with Presentation, Story, Character Development and Audience Psychology
9) Would outline a few Complete Routines, combining methods from earlier chapters

I'd drop the mediumistic stunts chapter, predictions chapter, blindfolds chapter, book tests chapter, q & a chapter, card tricks chapter, & publicity stunts chapter--not because I think they're unimportant, but because I think they utilize principals outlined in the other sections, so they can be incorporated into those respective sections.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Taliesin
View Profile
New user
Virginia
52 Posts

Profile of Taliesin
I have the nagging feeling that this would be like asking a theologian which books he would like to add to the Bible, and which ones he would like to toss. But...

When I read 13 steps, the chapter I most wanted to see more of was Step 9: Mediumistic Stunts, though Corinda says it is not properly part of the "pure art" of mentalism.

I also agree that there should be a section on Suggestion and Dual Reality, and definitely a section on PK effects as part of the more physical manifestations of mentalism.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
My 13 Steps:
1. Mnemonics
2. Secret Writing
3. Billets
4. Muscle Reading
5. Pencil Reading, Sound Reading, Lip Reading
6. Psychological Forces
7. Hypnosis
8. Pre Show
9. Dual Reality
10. Metal Bending
11. Psychokinetic Effects
12. Popular Effects (Serial Killer, Watch Routines, Current Gimmicks, etc.)
13. Presentation
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1849 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 18:09, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:
My 13 Steps:
1. Mnemonics
2. Secret Writing
3. Billets
4. Muscle Reading
6. Psychological Forces
7. Hypnosis
8. Pre Show
9. Dual Reality
10. Metal Bending
13. Presentation

I couldn't agree more
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Jarod
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
226 Posts

Profile of Jarod
Keep it as it is - it's a legacy!
It's not the Trick. It's the Magician!

Harry Houdini
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
"5. Pencil Reading, Sound Reading, Lip Reading"

Are there any in-depth works dealing exclusively with one of these topics? I'd like to complete a more in-depth analysis of the respective methods and haven't been satisfied with the depth of what I've encountered so far. I think Docc Hilford has a cassette set on Sound Reading that sounds interesting except that I don't have a way to play cassettes any more. I might ultimately get it, though, and pick up a cheap cassette player if there is nothing else available.

"1. Mnemonics
2. Secret Writing
3. Billets
4. Muscle Reading
6. Psychological Forces
7. Hypnosis
8. Pre Show
9. Dual Reality
10. Metal Bending
13. Presentation"

The only stuff other than that that I would want included is some effects that rely on specific situational/environmental factors to perform them, and also a section on confederates via two person code. Yes, having aid from someone else is now regarded as relatively taboo, but another way to think about it is like having an invisible peek wallet available whenever you want-- why not have that tool in your toolbox of methods? Surely it's a technique that might aid in the development of some effects. Finally, I think Secret Writing should come after the sections on billet work and muscle reading because a decent portion of what some of us write secretly we first learn secretly.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Step 15: Cold /warm and hot reading Smile
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Machina
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of Machina
Quote:
"1. Mnemonics
2. Secret Writing
3. Billets
4. Muscle Reading
6. Psychological Forces
7. Hypnosis
8. Pre Show
9. Dual Reality
10. Metal Bending
13. Presentation"

I'm not a bigfan of muscle readingor metal bending, but I wholeheartedly agree with the rest. One ring(book) to rule them all would have saved me a lot of running around this last year. I would add peek wallets etc to Billets section.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
I would take out the chapter on two person codes. These codes have been used a bit too often. People are no longer really astonished by these acts any more.

GM
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
So no more info on the pencil/sound/lip reading?
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I would have the following:

1 - Pencil, Lip, Sound & Muscle Reading
2 - Mnemonic and Memory Techniques
3 - Card Effects
4 - Predictions
5 - Dual Reality
6 - Billets (CT and Peeks)
7 - Peek Wallets & Clipboards
8 - Hypnosis
9 - PK Effects (Moving Objects & Metal Bending)
10 - Remote Vision & Drawing Duplications
11 - Pre Show
12 - Publicity Stunts
13 - Over The Phone / Instant Messenger Effects
14 - Secret Writing (Swami & PW)
15 - Confederates (Stooges, Two Person Codes, Instant Stooges)
16 - Mediumistic Stunts
17 - Forces & Equivoque
18 - Suggestion
19 - Patter & Presentation
20 - Impromptu & Borrowed Items
21 - Cold Reading
22 - Envelopes
23 - Propless Mentalism (Progressive Anagrams, Psychological Forces)

(Though not in that order!)

I know its a lot but that would be THE definate book on Mentalism (Until the second edition came out!!!)

Peace & Love

Matt
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
People are no longer really astonished by these acts any more.

I can think of several exceptions to your statement off the top of my head. As in all this the skill is on the performer(s) and not the method.
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
I would add a puzzle page, celebrity gossip and reader's wives.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3312 Posts

Profile of Looch
There is an unreleased 14th step, there was talk of it being released a few years back by the guy who has the rights to it
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2260 Posts

Profile of Chris K
So that's for real then, Looch? Interesting. I've heard about that for a while but passed it off as simply a rumor. Hmmmm...
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3312 Posts

Profile of Looch
Yes very real. Im friends with the person who owns the rights. Hes had it years
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
After seeing the other lists, I would revise my steps as follows:

1. Ways to Learn Information (Pencil Reading, Lip Reading, Elbow Reading, Muscle Reading, Eye Cues, Physical Tells, Audience Responses, Billet Peeks, Billet Switches, Billet Tears, Progressive Anagrams, Internet Search Tools, Impression Devices, Marking, Asking Outright)
2. Ways to Record Information (Pocket Writing + Peek Wallets, Boon and Nail Writers, Double Writing, Internet Recording Tools, Envelopes)
3. Mnemonic and Memory Techniques
4. True Forces and Psychological Forces
5. Suggestion and Hypnosis (including Weather & Body Effects)
6. Cold Reading
7. Confederates
8. Preshow and Dual Reality
9. Situational Effects
10. Effects with Everyday Objects (e.g., Card Effects & most PK Effects)
11. Popular Effects
12. Character, Patter, Rapport Development, Presentation, & Audience Psychology
13. Sample Routines

Chris
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Paul Brook's "The Gift", about pre-show work, is subtitled the 14th Step To Mentalism.

Personally, I'd add a step about electronics. The electrical devices in the original are woeful given the advances that have been made since.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you wrote "13 Steps" (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL