The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you wrote "13 Steps" (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I'd sell the rights to Ellusionism or whatever they are called, and ditch the print and do a DVD called "10 STEPS TO STREET MENTALISM WITH 3 EXCLUSIVE BONUS STEPS".. get Corinda in a muscle shirt with a tattoo of Japanese fighting dog on his throat and shoot it with 4 different cameras, two of them hand-held in grainy black and white stock and every ten seconds have the footage break up and some guitar licks laid over it with the caption DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET.

Each step could have it's own name like B*TCHIN' BILLETS and ALIVE, DEAD OR DEADER and could be performed in a McDonalds car park to an audience of teenage girls who scream their lungs out at the end of each effect, mixed with censorship bleeps, and one stoner guy who can then be interviewed and say "Man that dude is like a total clairvoyant or something".

Then Corinda ends each step by flashing a gang sign and slamming his open mouth over the camera lens (I actually heard he tried to do that in the 60's but the old camera lenses were much bigger and he broke his teeth).

Don't fight the future, dudes..
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I think it would a FANTASTIC idea to produce some extra steps.

This is how I imagine the project taking place...

Getting authority's and/or people known for 'specializing' in each new subject to write and 'be in charge of' each new step and include effects and articles by other performers that focus on that specific step, in a similar manner to how 13 Steps is written.

For example, Banachek could write and control the contents of "Step 14 - Psychological Forces & Subtleties".

Or...

"Step XX - Psychokinetic Effects" could again be Banachek, or in a perfect world, Uri Geller.

You get the idea.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Virungan-

Funniest snark of the year, so far.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Defiately Pre-Show work and Suggestion.

Speaking of which, what would you all think are some of the best works on Pre-show, or in other words, if Corinda were writing his "14 steps" today, what authors and books would he cite?
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of rickreation

Speaking of which, what would you all think are some of the best works on Pre-show, or in other words, if Corinda were writing his "14 steps" today, what authors and books would he cite?
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Quote:
On 2009-03-26 10:30, rickreation wrote:

The best book on preshow has already mentioned above. It is Paul Brook's 'The Gift: The 14th Step to Mentalism.'
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Virungan- I too want to thank you for your brilliantly funny post.

Bennett
NY NY
Machina
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of Machina
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 13:53, Jon_Thompson wrote:
Paul Brook's "The Gift", about pre-show work, is subtitled the 14th Step To Mentalism.

Personally, I'd add a step about electronics. The electrical devices in the original are woeful given the advances that have been made since.

I back Jon's idea about the electronic devices.
On top of that definitely hypnosis and cold reading.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2008-11-23 19:53, Machina wrote:
Quote:
"1. Mnemonics
2. Secret Writing
3. Billets
4. Muscle Reading
5. Pencil Reading, Sound Reading, Lip Reading
6. Psychological Forces
7. Hypnosis
8. Pre Show
9. Dual Reality
10. Metal Bending
11. Psychokinetic Effects
12. Popular Effects (Serial Killer, Watch Routines, Current Gimmicks, etc.)
13. Presentation"

I'm not a bigfan of muscle readingor metal bending, but I wholeheartedly agree with the rest. One ring(book) to rule them all would have saved me a lot of running around this last year. I would add peek wallets etc to Billets section.

I don't see how you can be a mentalist and not be a fan of metal bending. Especially when done right!
MarkRobertson
View Profile
New user
Lincoln, NE
51 Posts

Profile of MarkRobertson
Recently, I have begun to re-study this book. I was surprised to find that it does contain "dual reality" and preshow work. There are some giant concepts sprinkled whithin 13 steps, which can be overlooked if you skip the methods of effects that may not, at first, appeal to you.

As I re-read this I have been trying to think about how the effect might be twisted for different characters with different "powers". It is amazing what can be found between the lines.

Respectfully, I would leave it "as is."
Dandin
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Dandin
It is a brilliant book. The best that was ever written on mentalism. Almost every important principle is in there. With hard work and imagination you can create miracles with the knowledge that this bible gives you.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
1. What is your motivation.
2. Who are you character development.
3. Truly propless effects done only in the mind.
4. Writing it down and why? Overt by participant.
5. Secret writing with and without gimmicks. Covert by performer
6. Billets, tears and switches.
7. Math, memory and other special talents. Would include Chess and Hypnosis
8. Divination and other oracles.
9. Instant stooge and duel reality.
9 1/2. Two person codes and effects.
10. Pk and metal bending
11. Routining and audience management.
12. Publicity.
13. Selling it.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
I love this topic as it seems like a good way to measure how OUR perception has changed on the development of mentalism.
Personally, my 13 Steps would be the following:

1. Developing Your Character (discussions on what powers you have, what your "process" is for mind reading, why it matters to be consistent)
2. Obtaining Information (Billet Techniques, I*******n P*ds, etc)
3. "Sending" Information (Forces, Suggestion, etc)
4. Propless techniques (Why propless?, 100% vs taking chances, blending propless with mechanical methods)
5. Secret Writing Techniques
6. Cards and Mentalism (Should you use them?, Stacked and Marked Deck Effects, Tarot and ESP cards)
7. "Authentic" Mental Displays (Chess, Math, Hypnosis, etc)
8. Superpowers (Pk, metal bending, animation, and other non-mindreading demonstrations)
9. The Power of Words (Pre-Show, Dual Reality, Instant and Non-instant Stooging, Language Codes)
10. Technology: Bringing Mentalism to the 21st Century
11. Social Mastery (Cold reading, building credibility and rapport, being likable, etc)
12. Storytelling (Elevation beyond a demonstration of skill, making it memorable, emotional relevance, how to tell your story well)
13. Theory, Controversy, and other Nonsense (Essays on topics such as Mentalism vs Mental Magic vs other forms of Magic, Audience perspective, Audience Management, Who is the star? You or the audience?, Etc)
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Two types of Mentalism that are not featured in 13 Steps, nor in this very good discussion so far, are

1. Mind-to-mind Influence. (See Rick Maue's work)

2. The interpretation of non-verbal communication (or "body language'). (See Banachek's work)

George
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
1) Getting Information
2) Delivering Information
3) Readings
4) PS
5) DR
6) Math and Logic
7) Mnemonics
8) Methods "For Real"
9) Hypnosis
10) Everything Else (Codes, Blindfolds, Psychokinesis, etc)
11) Q&A
12) Character Development
13) Marketing and Clients
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
528 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
There is only ONE step to mentalism and that is "Positioning / Marketing". That's it.

I also disagree with the entire notion of "steps" - a step implies that one comes before the other, which is obviously not the case.

Cheers

Max
Have a nice day
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
107 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
I would update step 7 including new methodologies and principles regarding book tests and more information for people to make their own gimmicked books and how to work with multiple gimmicked and un gimmicked books.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Hasn't Osterlind recently done his own 13 steps? Maybe someone could list the headings he uses.
bofx
View Profile
Elite user
France
496 Posts

Profile of bofx
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2018, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Hasn't Osterlind recently done his own 13 steps? Maybe someone could list the headings he uses.

Here is the Osterlind's 13 steps :
I. Approach to Mentalism
II. Billets
III. Swami Gimmick
IV. Playing Cards
V. Book Tests
VI. Blindfolds
VII. Metal Bending
VIII. Stage Routines
IX. Close Up and Impromptu Routines
X. Cold Reading
XI. Q and A Routines
XII. Hypnotism and Suggestion
XIII. Muscle Reading
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Cheers bofx. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you wrote "13 Steps" (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL