The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pressure: Feeling nervous, got the shakes or the sweats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Pressure is for Suckers!

I’m tired of listening to cry babies complain about the shakes and being nervous. Stop crying and put it into proper perspective. You have NO pressure. What are you so nervous about? What?, making a stupid coin appear, doing a slick move with the cards? I mean really, you’re just doing a stupid magic trick for goodness sake.

You know who has pressure? the guy who is going to have to carve the cancer out of your body one day. That’s pressure.

Are you the type who gets nervous, shaky hands, sweaty palms, etc before you have to perform? Are you afraid to fail in the “clutch”?

If so, I would like to offer some advice, from me, a proven winner and money player. I’ve been in a few high-pressure situations and have always come through. I even have video proof. As a matter of fact, I NEVER failed in the clutch. I talk the talk because I have walked the walk.

Here I would like to share two examples of high-pressure situations I’ve been in. I had every reason to be nervous but instead, I spit in the eye and laughed in the face of pressure.

First; I performed for the first time in front of the world’s best close-up magicians and I didn’t take the easy way out. I went there, loaded 8 silver dollars into my DP and did a three-minute manipulation act. Not only did I do productions and vanishes; I did a four coin rollout on each hand. (what would you give that on a scale of difficulty?)

There was no safety net and NO second chance. The guy who sponsored me didn’t think I had the balls to pull it off. He said I would be nervous and shaking in my boots. I told him to videotape the whole thing, starting from the get ready back stage. Be fore they introduced me, I looked right into the camera and said “watch…I’m going to kick their A**”

And I did.

Another time, I went for a world record attempt for the most coins DP’d and produced.
I went all by myself. There were 5 TV stations plus about 30 media, plus the other attempters. This time I was going to try to produce 10 silver dollars. Talk about pressure…

I did it. And I did it on the first attempt.

So, am I better than you?

Heck no! As a matter of fact, I bet you are smarter and better off than I. The only difference is I don’t give a ship!

I have no fear. You could say I have no brains. Either way, I don’t care. When fear and pressure step into my space, I say Fudge you! Then I smack it down like a little birch that it is. That’s how I do it. I’m not afraid to fail; I’ve failed so many times that you could say I’m an expert failure…lol

When the money is on the line and it’s time to step up, this is how I psych myself up:

I walk into the room and believe I’m the baddest Mo-Fo there. It’s time to crush, kill destroy! Time to get down to business, here I am check me out…BAMM!

And that’s how I approach it. I have too. If I don’t think I’m the baddest, then I’m setting myself up for defeat.

First thing I would like to say is that There is NO such thing as pressure. Pressure is something made up in your head, it does not exist, you can’t see it, touch it and it is not physical. It’s make-believe just the same way the boogieman and Santa Claus are. But yet people everyday believe in them.

Same thing with fear, it does not exist.

Some will agree and some will not, so I will only say what I know about it.

When pressure knocks on your door, you need to greet it, size it up and then grab it by the throat. Choke the life out of it, squeeze it so hard that it’s guts spill out. As it falls to the floor, kick it in the head and keep stomping on it until it turns into a mass of nothing.

Because if you don’t, then that is what pressure will do to you.

Pressure and fear are imaginary. You are tough. Are you going to let something that doesn’t exist stop you from reaching your goal, dreams and destination?

There are a lot of blowhards who put out all types of self-help and motivational words of wisdom. Nothing wrong with that if it helps, fine. If you would like some help with your case of sweats, shakes and overall unsure-ness, give me a call. I got the recipe.

If you still find yourself nervous and unable to overcome, then I say take up another adventure. But that would be quitting, right? And on top of being a nervous Nelly, you’re not a quitter also, are you?

So, bottom line…

Tell pressure to take a hike, you’re too busy not giving a poop!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I heard Justin gives Chuck Norris a beating every Sunday at 2pm.

;)

Well said Justin - aggressive, but well said.

We as magicians are the only ones that can confront our fear of performance... no one here on the Café can say something to you to make it magically go away. There is no special Hindu chant that makes it better...

Basically you need to confront it by DOING what it is you fear... repetition will make it go away. Some people have it go away in just one performance.. others take longer... there is no magic number...

You just perform - and keep performing... and one day you are no longer shaky.

Plus as Justin said, so what if you screw up. Big deal.. grin and move on...have an out... always... and if for some reason you don't... shake it off...

One bit of advice I can offer.. if you are nervous.... join a local acting guild or theater club... acting classes will greatly help... and even in you aren't nervous they will help...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I just want to clairify...I'm not a tough guy. I NEVER laid my hands on another person or was in a fight.

I just always had more balls than brains...lol

People psych themselves in different ways.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Thanks for sharing
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Sigh... another self absorbed quasi-psychological motivational "just think positive"-post from someone who admits to not suffering from or even understanding the problem he addresses.

Great so you got an excuse to talk a little about how successful you are and that you've been on TV, etc. That was the real point of it, wasn't it? Fine, now we know.

Sadly, most people in this world are too intelligent to just look at themselves in a mirror and tell themselves that they're "the baddest Mo-Fo there" and then snap... completely believe it and feel GREAT because golly... a guy on the other side of the sink just said so.

I'm sorry but I found the post to be extremely unhelpful in rather poor taste. Part of me still think it was written as a parody. Some kind of wrestler interview reference maybe. I read it twice to make sure I didn't completely miss the joke. If I did, I apologize.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Justin may be harsh but I agree that you have to step up to the plate with confidence.
I still have shakey nerves but I take a deep breath and step up.
It passes after some small talk and the first effect.

"Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is."
---- German Proverb
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey Justin, tell us how you really feel.

Jim
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yeah...really!

Mark. Smile
Ruppenthal
View Profile
Regular user
I'm busy, so I only have
105 Posts

Profile of Ruppenthal
I don't understand why this is posted in "New To Magic".

People who are new to magic - like myself - have obvious reasons to be self-conscious and unsure of themselves. They haven't been tested, they don't have the knowledge, they don't have the experience to gain the confidence that Justin obviously claims to have.

What is the point of this message? Why did you post it here?

By the way, my father is an oncologist/hematologist who deals with cancer every day. I never pretend anything I do in my life is in any measure on the same level as what he does. Again, I don't understand what your post has to offer to anyone, like myself, who is new to magic and is trying to learn the skills to perform. We read this forum to learn how to build up our skills and confidence. We don't need someone trying to belittle who we are and what we are trying to do.

My two cents...
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
There is nothing wrong with fear. It's a normal response to stress. How one deals with the issue is the concern. Many of the great professionals experience some trepidation. Carly Simon rarely performs her music in public due to fear. A little nervousness keeps us on our toes. The fight or flight response increases the heartbeat, makes us more aware of our senses and our surroundings, causes us to focus, etc. These are positive things in some respects when an audience is watching our every move. Fear of failure and the risk of making a complete fool of ourselves forces us to be prepared and keeps the adrenaline flowing. If we become too overconfident, our cockiness can overcome our common sense and we can be vulnerable to making major mistakes. Our guard can go down. Overconfidence can turn off an audience. Harness the apprehension, channel and control it, rise to the challenge to overcome it, and your fear can actually help you to become a better performer.

:magicrabbit:
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2960 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I perform close-up several times a week and have for several years. I'm one who does the same effects for different audiences so I've grown accustomed and comfortable with the effects performed regularly.

I do find myself hesitant to bring out something new even though I know the handling well. It's a comfort zone thing. I do agree with Justin Style in that
you have to just BREAK through the uncertainty and just do it. I've been doing that more and more to great success. It's helped me grow, become more well rounded and increased my confidence level. It's also helped in transitioning when I screw up an effect to go in a different direction without the audience being any the wiser.

I have to admit it wasn't easy. I'd start thinking about it and revert to the tried and true effects. BUT you can't grow doing that, and like Justin said the "pressure" will control YOU. So in my experience and where I am in my career I agree with Justin Style. For others in a different scenario or experience level
you may need to as Ruppenthal states build up your skills and confidence in a more structured manner. My 5 cents worth.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Personally I was amused by the way Justin wrote his entry, and I felt it fits well with my way of dealing with situations that make me nervous. I was a bit puzzled by some of the comments, but it made me think.

I guess the point is that we are all different, also in the way we deal with performance nerves. There are many old and new posts on the Café that deal with nerves, and most of them offer gentle approaches that allow a performer to work through the situation.

But, if it is possible for someone, for whatever reason, to take a long stride and completely bypass the fear, instead of stopping to deal with it carefully and meticulously (spelling?), then why not? I find it refreshing to know that this works well for some people, and notice that I have used the same tactics in some situations.

For those that require a more carefully considered approach, I recommend the search function. And you will notice that most of the posts are in the New to Magic section, simply because that is where many of us look when dealing with something that is new to us.

Justin, thanks for sharing an alternative approach with us, and personally I enjoyed the style you wrote it in as well. I am sure you didn't mean to belittle anyone, but simply share a different angle on the performance nerves.

Michael
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 11:39, Justin Style wrote:
When pressure knocks on your door, you need to greet it, size it up and then grab it by the throat. Choke the life out of it, squeeze it so hard that it’s guts spill out. As it falls to the floor, kick it in the head and keep stomping on it until it turns into a mass of nothing.

Yeah that's pretty much what Vernon would have said...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Great minds think alike...lol

No, not me and Vernon...me and you, 61!

I'm no different than anyone here. I just have NO respect for pressure and nervousness. It's something I won't negotiate with, the minute it steps up to me, I sucker punch it. Then I continue and I don't stop until there is nothing left, not even enough to run back and tell all the other forms of pressure what I just did. I'm a dirty fighter, I will f-up pressure and its whole family. Yeah, tho I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I will fear NO evil…

Pressure is a seductress, the minute you fall for it’s allure, you’re toast!

You need to be smarter than that.

I proved it, you can take my advice or not. You can laugh and say what you will. The only thing you can't say is that I failed in the clutch.

Money player.

And speaking of Vernon...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'll be in therapy for the next 6 months over Justin's harshness! Smile
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
And that's just you Mick. Imagine how pressure feels around me...lol
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-11-24 13:51, MickeyPainless wrote:
I'll be in therapy for the next 6 months over Justin's harshness! Smile

Ohh I think Justin has just the speech for that too Mickey. Smile
chidzuyo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of chidzuyo
Thanks for sharing. I think people have different ways of fighting their own battles.

But I believe that if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll do well in it.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2008-11-21 11:39, Justin Style wrote:
Pressure is for Suckers!

I’m tired of listening to cry babies complain about the shakes and being nervous. Stop crying and put it into proper perspective. You have NO pressure. What are you so nervous about? What?, making a stupid coin appear, doing a slick move with the cards? I mean really, you’re just doing a stupid magic trick for goodness sake.

You know who has pressure? the guy who is going to have to carve the cancer out of your body one day. That’s pressure.

I spit in the eye and laughed in the face of pressure.

I have no fear. You could say I have no brains. Either way, I don’t care.

First thing I would like to say is that There is NO such thing as pressure. Pressure is something made up in your head, it does not exist, you can’t see it, touch it and it is not physical. It’s make-believe just the same way the boogieman and Santa Claus are. But yet people everyday believe in them.

Same thing with fear, it does not exist.

Pressure and fear are imaginary. You are tough. Are you going to let something that doesn’t exist stop you from reaching your goal, dreams and destination?

While I agree with the gist of your words, Justin, the hard reality is that courage and bravado are also imaginary.

Quote:
this is how I psych myself up:

I walk into the room and believe I’m the baddest Mo-Fo there. It’s time to crush, kill destroy! Time to get down to business, here I am check me out…BAMM!

The truth is that you are not the baddest there is - or, unless you personally know every individual there, you can’t be sure you are. So you resort to lying to yourself to “psych up”. That sounds like

Quote:
There are a lot of blowhards who put out all types of self-help and motivational words of wisdom. Nothing wrong with that if it helps, fine.

Maybe we’re treading the tightrope of semantics here. But I prefer to live in the reality of who I am as well as who I am not, and adjust my perspective of life accordingly.

The real issue was presented but lost somewhere in your rant about how bad you are:

Quote:
What are you so nervous about? What?, making a stupid coin appear, doing a slick move with the cards? I mean really, you’re just doing a stupid magic trick for goodness sake.

If that’s all I’m doing, then there is nothing in that to hurt me - as long as I can keep my sense of self-worth out of it. When who I am and how much value I place on myself rises and falls with my successes or failures, I will be a most miserable man!

Granted, if this is what puts food on the table and pays the bills, and the economic squeeze is cutting deeply into the house payment, then there will be very real pressure - and anyone who denies it is a fool. Yes, it must be dealt with, or you might need to look for another line of work. But money doesn’t come in just because you’re “psyched up”.

I hate to fail. I hate to present a bad face to others, whether in magic or anything else I do. But I just am only who I am, and I am far from perfect or the “baddest” in every situation.

But I am still a person of great worth and value, and no failure will take that away. I am not surrounded by props for my mental confidence - I am surrounded by people who value me and accept me and will never devalue me because I bombed a trick or even lost a job and the house.

This is the way I walk.

Ed
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Here is some food for thought along with what Justin is sayin'...

http://www.articlesbase.com/motivational......631.html

Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pressure: Feeling nervous, got the shakes or the sweats? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL