The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Thread" - By Wayne Houchin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
Quote:
On 2008-12-25 15:26, Gospel Dan wrote:
You got the right thread. It's just a matter of getting used to it. The quicker you are able to set it up, the less irratating it will be.

Thanks for the help! I guess this is something I'll have to keep practicing this (once my eye recovers, of course) Smile
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Dear Shek

I bought this great item ( in my sincere opinion )and the thread that you use is excatly that I use.

The sensation tha you feel is natural because the cotton is not smooth,produce friction in the skin below the eye when you pull out.

Sincerely, I obtain great reactions from the audience with the presentation of this trick.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I don't know?...Sticking something in your eye is always...well, be careful.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
The friction is a little sensation only.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I just practiced the effect for the first time. This does take some getting used to. After the setup, my eye stopped tingling. I guess I'll have to keep practicing until it feels fairly normal when I pull it out of my eye.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Another good reference for such effects would be in the Swami Mantra book Smile It contains other things you can do with thread and needles and such. Excellent encyclopedic volume.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
K, I just tried this, and although I've had problems with going near my eyes, I decided to try it anyways. The second time I tried it, I tried to do the revelation of the thread, and I literally began to lose it. In my eye. All of it was going down into my eye. It was literally going under/behind my eye.

It took all the courage I had to not freak out, and I just kept trying to remove it. Eventually I got a grip on it and pulled it back up. It was a slow, slow extraction. **** the geek method. I nearly threw up after it was over just from fright.

It looks great, but I'll never, EVER do that again.

Guess I'm gonna try the sleight method.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 19:58, bryanlonden wrote:
It was literally going under/behind my eye.

Is this possible? Can any medical people here on the Café confirm this possibility?

Lyndel
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Let me clarify.

It was going under the bottom eyelid. It went down so it was impossible to see, even while holding my eyelid open.

I don't know if there's a little pocket under my eye or what, but it was the scariest situation I've ever been in. I had no clue where it was going, I just thought it was GONE. Inside my head.

But in regards to performing the sleight method instead of the geek method,
I highly doubt a layperson would notice any difference between the two. There are only a few noticeable differences. First, the spectators won't see both methods, and second, they're focused on the thread coming out of your eye, not the little differences like hand grip, etc.

I know Wayne's been doing this for like a decade, but I seriously can't recommend the geek method to anyone. I'd recommend the sleight method, and be 100% safe.

Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
748 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Bryan,

I can sort of relate to your experience because there's been a handful of times throughout my life where an eyelash has gotten into my eye and in the process of trying to remove it it moves out of view, at which point I can no longer retrieve it.

I can only imagine the state of panic you must have found yourself in when you started to lose track of that entire length of thread in your eye. I'm sure I would have freaked too.

I did some research regarding this situation and apparently objects (e.g. contact lenses, eyelashes, etc.) cannot go behind your eye because a thin, but strong, membrane, called the conjunctiva, lines the inside of your eyelids and curls back on itself to cover the white part of the eye. Objects cannot pass through it, however they may slide under your eyelids. So you wouldn't have to worry about the thread actually going behind your eye.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Phatmeat,

Thanks for doing the research. It's very relieving to know that it can come right back up. I felt no pain, and it honestly wasn't really uncomfortable, but the fear of not knowing what was going on scared the **** out of me. I'm going to fool around with the sleight method some more, but to be honest, I really want to get back on the horse and try the geek method again.

If anyone has any tips in regards to the setup, and why you think my situation occured with losing the thread, please let me know in a PM. Anything to give me the confidence to try again will be highly appreciated.

Again, thanks Phatmeat for the MUCH needed info.

Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I have been doing this for many years. It doesn't take a DVD to work it out. Now that it is released on Theory11, it will be all over Youtube. It was fun to perform while it lasted.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Can someone give more detailed info about the advantages and disadvantages of both methods.

I got my DVD coming and I'm SO SURE about performing the sleight method,I am just worried about how clean it is , how practical it is etc, a little more help would be great.

Also,if we pick the sleight method, can we perform gypsy thread first and sleight method of thread after it? I mean the sleight method is gimmicked so are we going to have any trouble with combining these two because of that gimmick?

thanks.
markmage
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of markmage
I've tried it twice. The second time I used a gel and it was not as irritating. My problem is I have no eye lashes. I'm thinking of putting makeup on the end.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
For those of you who do this and wear contact lenses, do you wear the soft kind or the smaller hard lenses. I wear the hard ones, so I am wondering if I will be able to do it without it popping out. I can't see anything without them.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I'm not play it for free......
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 04:38, Miraclemakers wrote:

Huh?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 08:54, slyhand wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 04:38, Miraclemakers wrote:

Huh?

Or play it for paid by words "wow, how you do that" and "thank you"
(^-^)
first time I'll do it, it's irritating my eyes....
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I take it that English is not your native language. Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I am just wondering if hard contacts are going to hinder my using this effect.

If you are going to be cryptic in your answer then please don't respond.

Alec
Korhan
View Profile
Regular user
Istanbul, Turkey
105 Posts

Profile of Korhan
He was just saying that he won't perform this unless he got paid. It is irritating his eyes.

And for your question, sorry I don't know if they will interfere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Thread" - By Wayne Houchin (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL