The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penguin cups and Paul Fox cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I have a set of Paul Fox cups in a place of honor in a display case that never come out to play. On a whim I bought a set of the Penguin copper cups. Of course they aren't near the same quality and the inside is as ugly as you may have heard. But boy they sure look like Fox cups. I am sure it isn't by pure accident they are so similar. What is the best method to cleanup the inside and give them a little better look? They are a little rough and have "chemical stains".
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A dremel with a couple different grade of polishing wheels?

Personally, I'd just blacken the insides completely.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Thanks fopr the suggestion! I must admit the thought of the inside being black did cross my mind but I have never seen it done and was hesitant of considering it just for that reason. I guess it could be a benefit but they may not display as innocently as raw metal. The set I have just does hold a tennis ball to the point of retaining it slightly. That may play out well if a slightly lodged ball is a bit of a suprise on the final load.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I ended up with a set of these back in the day because I was naive at the time and oh yeah, the dealer flat lied to me! I used a fine abrasive cone on my drill press and cleaned em up very well but within a couple weeks they had the black scunge covering the interior again! Knowing the little I do now about quality of metals used in these things I have since shelved them and don't handle them for fear of what may transfer! Call me paranoid but I reckon better safe than sorry!

Mick
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 23:21, MickeyPainless wrote:
I ended up with a set of these back in the day because I was naive at the time and oh yeah, the dealer flat lied to me! I used a fine abrasive cone on my drill press and cleaned em up very well but within a couple weeks they had the black scunge covering the interior again! Knowing the little I do now about quality of metals used in these things I have since shelved them and don't handle them for fear of what may transfer! Call me paranoid but I reckon better safe than sorry!

Mick

Bill suggested a caranuba wax on the freshly polished cups to me. I think that would retard the "scunging"...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-11-22 21:34, doublelift wrote:
I have a set of Paul Fox cups in a place of honor in a display case that never come out to play. On a whim I bought a set of the Penguin copper cups. Of course they aren't near the same quality and the inside is as ugly as you may have heard. But boy they sure look like Fox cups. I am sure it isn't by pure accident they are so similar. What is the best method to cleanup the inside and give them a little better look? They are a little rough and have "chemical stains".

If you have the original Paul Fox cups in steel, don't hesitate using them. I'm using mines for about 35 years: they don't even have one scratch (and believe me they have a lot of mileage).
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Tarn-X penetrates the metal and removes more of the grease that has gotten imbedded in the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Quote:
On 2008-11-23 11:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Tarn-X penetrates the metal and removes more of the grease that has gotten imbedded in the cups.

I believe Bill is onto something about what could be trapped in the metal. Who knows what the alloy of copper is and what it may have been intended for. The stains remind me of some of the caustic chemicals used to clean metal for soldering. I first thought of what chemical may have been used during the manufacturing process but as Bill pointed out impuities may be deeper than the surface.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Penguin cups and Paul Fox cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL