The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Car Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I am trying to figure out who created the flying car illusion.

An example would be Lance Burton's flying Corvette.

If memory serves me correct I think it was created by Franz Harary. However I am not 100 percent positive.

Any feedback back about the history of the illusion would be helpful.

I am fully aware of the method. I just would like to know more about the background of the illusion.

Pm or email me if you like to discuss in private.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I remember an old video of David Copperfield performing a levitating car illusion. It ended like Asrah with the car seeming to vanish in mid-air.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Yeah...that was cool. You could see the form as it visually distorted the background as it was yanked up though. The way the cloth came off was the killer.

As to who "invented" it...who invented the Asrah? I think it is older than the chicken head thing with DEDE. Maybe even older than the cups and balls.

So which came first...the chicken or the Asrah? LOL!

I think someone should do an Asrah with a chicken...now that would be a new slant on an old horse.
a.lien
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of a.lien
Hi Guys,

your Asrahs have nothing to do with the floating car mike_york was talking about though.

In my opinion the Lance Burton floating corvette is a real cool show effect, but for today´s standards not a "real magic effect".

I think ever since the world has seen David Copperfield fly with a girl in his arms, audiences might wonder if magicians can´t do this without using black art?! He´s even levitated 2 guys on a couch without blackart...

I´ve seen Lance do it live in Vegas also and I liked this "show effect" especially for his originality by referring to the "Back to the Future" ending. But for a world class illusion this was way too dark and fishy looking by that. If anyone ever comes up a clear stage view car levitation, I´d love it!

But, that´s just my opinion...

All the best,
A.Lien
Smile
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
The roots of the car levitation I think begin with the floating piano and pianist ... but I can't recall who did it.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
Floating piano and pianist, Lee Grabel?
Or did he just popularize it?
Jay Buchanan
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I have always pondered a VERY hollowed out car and the use of the flying method ... I don't really know if it is possible but it's a nice thought.

Jakks
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
DC's flying method?

Mike
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
Mike,

I've seen Lance Burton's show a number of times. I think it's one of the best shows
in Vegas.

As for the Flying Car Illusion, I only know
that Bill Smith built the whole show, Incl.
the Flying Car.

Later,

Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
483 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Mike-- I believe that Peter is correct. Bill Smith built Lance's entire show.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 16:24, Luis Sirgado wrote:
David Copperfield made this illusion once, and he said that one day the car fall down in the show Smile

I'm wondering if it's a true story...

Johnny
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Hello all

Copperfield car asrah broke the gimmick on one side and it was hanging after the cloth was pulled. It was during a opening Las Vegas press night.

My good friend Bill Smith did build Lance's show. The car was Sub contracted out party to Splash because he had the entire show.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Chrisdev
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Chrisdev
Hi,

Yogano can realize that, at the same principe of the Piano !

But you need all of place on the stage...

Chris
Chris Deve

"Designer of Magic Illusions"
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
In itself the floating car makes only little sense. It has to be build in a whole routine with the car vanishing at the end.
I do not think it is that sensational, personally I feel it is the weakest point in Lances excellent show.
I think that you can get a much better bang for your buck as this is quite expensive.....
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Im sure Harbin did an Asrah?

james
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Quote:
On 2003-09-24 09:13, zigmont wrote:
Hello all

Copperfield car asrah broke the gimmick on one side and it was hanging after the cloth was pulled. It was during a opening Las Vegas press night.

Actually that is not what happened. The leviation was only about 2 feet off the ground, and it broke. The cloth was on it the entire time. The incident also happened in Lake Tahoe and not Vegas. I know it didn't happen in Vegas, because I did every Ferrari levitation in Vegas with Copperfield. (I did not do the Tahoe one)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6784 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Correct me if I'm wrong here, guys, but...

I do believe...(thumbing through folders of plans and drawings...) the Corvette idea was originally put together by John Gaughan.

The flying method is almost the same as D.C.'s but with a little extra "stuff" added.

The Lance Burton car is not done the same as Asrah, obviously. That rig (Corvette) is just a new twist on an old effect. The stage DOES have to be dark (ala appearing plane/helicopter), and the lights (vari-lights) have to done precisely.

Not something I'd have fun setting up...Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Flying Car Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL