The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » NY Coin Magic Seminar Six in Pennsylvania (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
I'm just back from King of Prussia Pennsylvania where I attended New York Coin Magic Seminar Six. It's held at the beautiful home of Marc DeSousa, and he wins the coolest house award. Marc's basement contains a theater/video recording studio, his vast collection of magic books, collectibles and ephemera. It's like a magic museum down there!
The guys were great, the performers top-notch, the material cutting edge, and Marc is an incredibly gracious host.
If you're even a little bit into coins, you've got to try to attend these seminars.
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Thanks Larry for making me jealous Smile

Seriously though good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
If the good Doctor plans another next year I'm seriously going to consider
going.

Seeing as you created a thread on the topic maybe you or anyone else who attended
can reflect on the Seminar; tell us what you folks experienced. I for one would
to hear how things went and what transpired.

cheers!
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Hi James:
Some of what we were treated to...
David Roth performing some of his most famous set-pieces (Tuning Fork, Planet, Stonehenge Assembly), Al Scheider's deep theorizing and flawless technique, Mike Rubinstein's beautiful matting technique, Mike Gallo's brilliant twist on Roth's Hanging Coins, Vic Trabucco's gorgeous magic, with and without his holdout, Scotty York's commercial coin-in-sugar packet plus his famous wit, and on and on!
Another highlight was dinner with all the guys. Always a treat to listen in as David Roth regales with stories about "old, dead coin guys!" He's a great story and joke teller.
Didn't mean to make you even more jealous, but it was just awesome...
Larry
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
LOL nah that's cool, I'm happy for you guys. Awesome to hear it went so well.
I pretty well assumed it would given the guest list. Sounds like coin-worker's heaven to me! Just hanging out with those folks would be good enough for me, forget learning anything LOL!

So tell me, what's up with this Stealth Palm I been hearing about?? Smile
Good stuff yes? (I'm not asking ya to reveal anything, just yer thoughts on it)
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Let's just say it's a utility move you'll find a million uses for...
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
(((rubs hands together with a devilish grin)))
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I also attended the coin seminar and had a great time. Lots of great material presented in a fun environment. The day alternated between lectures and lab/breakout sessions. During the breakouts we divided into groups and each of the guys came around and worked through some routines. David also showed some exotic gaffs he's acquired in his travels.

Al Schneider's presentation was somewhere in between a workshop and a lecture, as he walked around and guided everyone through his moves. He also demonstrated several nice moves on Sunday while waiting to film. It was a great time. This was my second time attending, I'll likely attend again.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I think I'm a little bit depressed now lol. Who were the performers durring filming? Who will be on the DVDs?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Roth, Gallo, Rubinstein, Schneider, York, Trabucco...
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Wow! Hmm...where to start about this weekend. David Roth, Mike Rubinstein, Mike Gallo, Al Schneider, Vic Trabucco, and Scotty York. Enough said right there.

The seminar was absolutely amazing. It was probably one of the best, if not the best experience I have ever been lucky enough to take part in. Between Roth's performance of his DBC Coins Across and all of his other famous routines, Rubinstein's work with Stealth Palm, Gallo's visually stunning magic and funny personality, Schneider's theory, Trabucco's work with his unbelievable Holdout system, and being able to see one of the best bar magicians ever, Scotty York, perform...Words cannot describe what an honor it was for me to take part in all of it.

Those that weren't there really missed out on a great time. The good Doctor called me up to ask what I was interested in learning at the seminar. I told him that I was familiar with the majority of their work and that I wanted to come to be able to spend two days with these coin greats and be able to pick their brain was one of my main reasons for coming. I can honestly say I got to do that and sooo much more.

The DVD shoot on Sunday was fantastic! I was lucky enough to be the official "Spectator Boy" for all of Gallo's performances and some of Roth's and Rubinstein's as well. It was great. I can't wait for the DVDs to come out. There definitely going to be packed with some unbelievable magic. Maybe the best set yet, IMHO. Looks like we'll have to wait and see what they end up putting on there. It definitely was a lot of great magic and some great surprises too.

This has been said before and I'll say it again...ANYONE that has the slightest interest in coin magic would do themselves good to come to one of these seminars. Make sure you bring a notebook too, you're going to need it! Can't wait for next year!

-Bill
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Crap Dangit Bill! LOl. I was debating whether or not I should ask to come but I was like "Nah, They would never let me" haha
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
While I wasn't at the actual seminar, I did attend the Sunday video shoot. WOW! I was floored over and over again by these guys. Bill can attest to my extreme outburst to a Roth masterpiece. And as an added bonus, we got to see what is probably the world's most difficult coins across. Only 4 coins, no gimmicks, palm up and a TON of moves. It looks very cool.

After about 10 hours of coin magic, I came home and today practiced triumph for about 5 hours as part of my recovery. If you're into coins at all, you should really attend the next seminar.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
ALRIGHT! Now even the card guys are gloating! I'm there next year dang'it
I've heard enough!!! Smile

Now I can't wait for those sessions to come out on DVD. Ohh man...
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Ooh, I'd have liked to have seen the Roth DBC coins across performed live. Will it be on the video?

-Travis
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It was filmed, so I believe so. Funny, I don't think there were plans to include it, but Dr. Rubenstein kept saying he would leave David in PA if he didn't do it.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
What does 'DBC' in Roth's DBC coins across stand for?
thanks!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Ok I've just PM'd, I know what it is now. Thanks again Jordani.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2008-11-25 01:22, pepka wrote:
Bill can attest to my extreme outburst to a Roth masterpiece.

Yooo Pep!
Oh I'll def attest to it. I can't say what was verbalized at the time, it'd probably get me kicked off of here lol.

-Bill
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I was there and it was a great time. I could have enjoyed the whole weekend just working through the museum that Marc DeSouza has up there. Not just drawers and shelves filled with things you've always wanted to see, but gorgeous displays of stuff straight from Ramsey, Kaps etc. More than collecting, Marc has made a real contribution by preserving and (on occasions like this) sharing his considerable achievments.

I hear there was coin magic going on, too.
coinguy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of coinguy
Sounds like it was phenomenal. Is there going to be another one next year? If so, I want to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » NY Coin Magic Seminar Six in Pennsylvania (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL