The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hugh Jackman to be Houdini on Broadway (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/sto......,00.html

Sounds good - article says they'll be replicating Houdini's big tricks on stage and Ricky Jay is the magic consultant.

Destiny
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Perfect...Hear me again... perfect!!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Isn't Ricky a close up guy? Makes no sense to me to use him other than 'name'.

I eagerly await the 'he does all magic' types.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
You do realize he has a consulting firm and advises on everything from stage, television, and film right? He's also a magic historian so overall he's a good choice for this project. I don't think he needs to be an escape artist to pull this one off.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
That would be a great show if it happened.

Yeah, Ricky Jay is 'just a close up guy', and Houdini was just an escape guy...
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
The cool part of this show is that it's being written by the guy that co-founded SPY Magazine. Should be interesting.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm wondering if he will be actually doing the escapes real time and authentically, or if there will be "gimmicks?", trickery, or whatever to ensure and guarantee that every escape will go off without a hitch.

I know that sounds almost oxymoranic, but I don't know any other way to phrase it. How do you gimmick the gimmicks to ensure that they are 100% successful for every single Broadway performance?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I hear what you're saying Daffydoug.

I think this is moreso a telling of Houdini's story than it is an authentic recreation of his escape act. I know in the last year or so Canadian Escape artist Dean Gunnerson played Houdini onstage and did his escapes for real but Hugh Jackman's portrayal will probably be more acting than anything.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Now that I think about it, what I was really wondering is if they are going to "FOOLPROOF" the escapes, perhaps by SIMULATING them. Yeah. That's what I was actually trying to convey.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
My guess would be a simulation but ya never know. Jack's in good shape
so he could pull off some of the physical aspects if he really wanted to.
I doubt it though.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Isn't it cool how Bitterman can add a word to a quote and change it?

Ricky may have a consulting company but he is primarily a close up magician, wouldn't you agree with that you word adders? When he was sitting at the bar with vernon I don't recall a zig zag being on the table.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Word adders?? Okay then...
Ricky Jay is known for his close-up yes. But he has experience in other areas.
If you only see him as a close-up guy I see why you think he's an odd choice for a consultant. But I think he has more to offer than just the perspective of a close-up guy.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Another chime in here that Ricky Jay is one of the most knowledgeable magic historians there is. Just because he doesn't typically perform stage illusions or escapes doesn't mean he's not a perfect fit as a consultant for this show.

Looking forward to it! I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to see it!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Excellent point. It's not only the escapes they need knowledge about, it's the HISTORY of Houdini and magic in general. This would add substance, (authenticity?) and believability to the production, as it will help them pay more attention to those lilliputian but important details that only knowledgeable magicians would be cognizant of.

It's small, but very important.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I admit it! I added the word 'just' to the quote. You got me. Dang, can't get away with anything around here, or it was early and I started my air quotes too soon, but the point remains; other than that lame Kurt Cobain movie, I can't think of any project that hasn't benifited from the work that Ricky Jay put into it, even if he is JUST 'a close up guy'. Smile

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The only one who said he was 'just' anything is you. There was a Kurt Cobain movie? I missed that. Okay I'll appease you all...when it comes to escapes and illusions Ricky Jay is the most knowledgable guy on the planet.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Yeah, that's what I was saying. You miss a lot of things, don't you? Like at a party or some other social situation where there is small circle of people laughing at something and you're the guy that goes, "what? Huh? Oh yeah... heh heh" and limps away? Just a guess.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
My guess is that Jackman will do the escapes "for real." That's the kind of actor he is.

It will be interesting to see his portrayal; much as I respect Jackman as an actor, it's definitely casting against type. Too clean-cut IMO to portray the real deal. But then, it's Broadway I suppose . . .

As for Ricky Jay . . . isn't Steinmeyer the go-to guy for this sort of thing?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hopefully they'll utilize Bill Kalush as a consultant as well. Kalush is right here in NYC, and co-wrote a great book on Houdini (along with Larry Sloman).

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I'd guess Ricky Jay and Hugh Jackman made some connection when they worked together on The Prestige, but besides that Ricky Jay would have to rank as one of the most successful ever at presenting magic in a true theatrical setting - perhaps that has some bearing.

I must dig out the DVDs of Deadwood and watch the episode he wrote again - he has a real talent for building tension.

Destiny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hugh Jackman to be Houdini on Broadway (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL