The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which flange? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I am wanting to make a table from a microphone stand. I am needing to know which flange I will need a pipe flange or a conduit flange? I thought someone might have made one and could pass the information along. thanks
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7338 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You use a conduit connector that screws into the box on the pipe and pipe flange on the table itself.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I have used that set up on a eureka table base I made from a drum stand. I am wanting to convert a microphone stand that has threads on the end to a table. the thread on the microphone stand is 5/8. I am wanting to know do I need to buy the pipe flange or a conduit wall flange to make the table? there a difference in the different thread type between plumbing and electrial I cannot rember what. I am just trying to save time on buying the right fitting. if anyone has ever converted a mocrophone stand to a table any suggestions would be great. thanks
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
You won't find that flange at Home Depot. You won't find a tap or die to cut those threads there, either. They're 5/8" x 27tpi, which is ONLY used on microphone stands from what I can gather. Figures, huh?

We had some flanges specially machined to fit mic stands. PM me and I'll fix you up.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Use a 1/2 or 3/4 conduit connector on the micstand and attach a 1/2 or 3/4 plumbing pipe flange to bottom of table, hope that helps
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7338 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I thought the same thing but Dan is right on the money. Give him a call.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 20:23, B Hackler wrote:
I have used that set up on a eureka table base I made from a drum stand. I am wanting to convert a microphone stand that has threads on the end to a table. the thread on the microphone stand is 5/8. I am wanting to know do I need to buy the pipe flange or a conduit wall flange to make the table? there a difference in the different thread type between plumbing and electrial I cannot rember what. I am just trying to save time on buying the right fitting. if anyone has ever converted a mocrophone stand to a table any suggestions would be great. thanks

The only difference between the electrical threads and the plumbing threads is the plumbing threads are tapered to help make them water tight. You can mix and match them for table applications.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
The only difference between 1/2" , 3/4" electrical threads and 1/2" ,3/4" plumbing threads is that plumbing threads are cut with a taper to help make them water tight. You will be fine mixing and matching these threads for table applications.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
The use of a brass fitting is soft enough to let the steel threads cut into it enough to seat it. Either that or tap the stand with the micro, machine threads with a pipe thread tap. That will open up the threads to except the pipe connectors.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I think for the short answer here Is the If you use the EMT conduit connector you don't have to worry about the threads on the Music stand. You will destroy those threads and you will only use the stand as a table from now on but. The eureka table uses this method and has for years. (mine is over 25 years old.) The conduit connector attaches with a set screw through the side. Drill a hole in the stand to accomdate this set screw. Then a 1/2 inch plumbing flange will spin right onto this Connector. I works and will last a long time.
Believe you then that I do strange things
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Also if you go to your local music store the flange that they use on the bottom of their drum stools work the best. good luck
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Ok I have a flange on a table I built some time ago and used a connector I got at Home Depot. The connector I had cracked and I replaced it with the connector that I think is the one being talked about here. It is a: 1/2" Halex metallic set screw connector. The problem now is I can't seem to find a flange that it fits correctly. The connector only goes in a few threads but is not tight enough for my saftey thoughts, if that makes sense. The threads are different and I can't seem to find the right threading on a flange. Am I looking in the wrong place, Home Depot,? HELP!!!! I love this table and if I can get the threads right I will start using it again, heck again nothing. I have never even used it yet.

Steven
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
A 1/2" EMT conduit connector which has a female connection with a set screw on one side and a 1/2" male connection with a nut on the other side will thread into a 1/2" pipe flange. I have included a picture of the proper connector. Discard the nut before screwing it into the flange

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346/......2351.jpg

Hope this helps.
Nick
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
On this same post somebody stated correctly that the pipe flange threads taper so the fit is snug. these 2 don't really go together perfectly. you need to really force it in using a channel locks and it will kind of rethread the connector.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Flange threads do not taper. There is no reason for for a flange to have tapered threads because they are used on non water applications. A 1/2" EMT connector should thread into a 1/2" iron pipe flange with no problem. If you have problems having them mate try running a pipe nipple into the flange first then retry your connector.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Nick that is the exact connector I have but for some reason I can only get it to screw into the flange a few threads. I know I must be doing something wrong, and it is makeing me nuts. I will work on it a little more tonight to see if I can get it to seat in the flange a little better.

Thanks
Steven
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Let me add that the connector I was using before was a copper connector. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. I can get the new connector to go in a little farther but I have to use a pair of pliers to do it. Makes it hard to do and easy set up for a show like with the other connector.

Steven
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Steve,
There may be a problem with the threads in the flange. I would take the connector to Home Depot and try other flanges. You can buy flanges either in galvanized or black iron give the black iron a try. Sometimes the galvanize coating can make it a little tougher to run the fitting inside.

Nick
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Industry standard I believe. a pipe has to fit into the flange that is tapered. a regular nipple will fit fine but the connector won't
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Nick I am going to do that. Not sure if I will go to HD or maybe McLendons. I got to looking and with my glasses on I can see that the threads are different on both. When I get it all done I want to post pics on here for any comments. I have never posted pics before of anything I have made and a little nervous because of the others that have posted here. Some of their work is beautiful and well I am just not a real great builder. But anyway I will try and see this weekend if it does not snow to bad.
Wow I said all of that to say, thanks for the help...hehehe

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Which flange? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL