The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slam-Bam Illusion Acts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
In a Dutch television show, Hans Klok got 5 minutes and had to show as many illusions as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFilLZIDJak

It is without a doubt one of the fastest performances ever.

Erik
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why did he HAVE to show as many Illusions as possible?

That's strange...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I say regarding this topic, the most important thing is that the performance is entertaining to the audience, whatever performance style you choose...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Pakar is right, IMO. If your style is to do the fast paced or slam bam illusions, then that is how you are going to stage your show. If your presentations are great, then people will turn out to see the show. I just wish I had all of my old illusions I used to do. It would be nice to present a good size illusion show again. To old almost to go slam bam, or even slam anymore. I did come from the era that there was more theatrics than just illusions.
I never did see the great Thurston or any of the great past performers. I wonder what it was like to sit in the audience of their shows. It seems that all of magic goes in cycles and maybe, in my hopes, we will get back to the theatrical and not just the flashy again in my lifetime.

Steven
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I think Lance Burton is very good at presenting a story to go along with the illusion without dragging it out too long. I "buy into" his characters.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Who said a story has to be slow or drawn out? Everyone--even college kids--are moved by story. Everyone. And to think otherwise is to lack understanding. Story and character. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc. = equal story and slam bam action. When slam bam action is propelled in the context of a story with characters you care about and are invested in, that's when you have a true and powerful theatrical experience. Without that, it's ho hum.
And language has nothing to do with it and is not a barrier. Look at Chaplin and Keaton, etc.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
So very true, Jim. You can have the story without one word being spoken. I guess that slam bam is a theatrical style as is the drawn-into-story presentation. I hope that made sense.

Steven
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Fast paced illusions CAN be great. But what I really don't like is "look at what this box does" and then "look at this other box" and then "why don't you look at this box"..... especially when this goes on and on.......
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Horace Goldin was one of the first to present a show that was based upon slam-bam illusions. His motto was "If you blink, you will miss a trick."

There needs to be balance. If you are doing a story, then the story must be well told, with no dead spots. It must have drama and suspense, and it must touch the heart. Otherwise, it's no good. And the story and magic must work together. The story can't get in the way of the magic, and the magic must not get in the way of the story. It doesn't matter whether it's a spoken story or a silent one. The story must be integrated perfectly into what is going on.

Doug Henning managed to pull this off most of the time. Sometimes it just didn't make it, though. He came to Houston to do a special appearance for a charity. The tickets were quite dear. My seat was in the nosebleed section of Jones Hall. He did a three-part levitation item that started with Finn Jon's Silver Stick, then went into the Zombie, and finally a broom suspension. He handled the Zombie and the broom suspension well. When he did the Silver Stick, he just didn't have the knack for the routine. I overheard two ladies near me: "What's he doing?"

"He has a stick on a string, and he is slinging it around on the stage."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
One of the things that sticks in my mind after I watch a slam-bam magic show is that I don't have a clue who the guy was or why he was doing the stuff -- other than maybe just demonstrating gadgets. I think the sad thing here is that very often it looks like the box (the puzzle) is the whole point of the exercise, and not the performance of a miracle. Then, since that's how it's presented, it leaves the audience with little more than a feeling of "Okay, so how'd he do that?"

Fine, so it "fooled" the audience. So what?

Do real people go to a show to be fooled or to be entertained?

Enough has been said above on stories that I won't belabor the issue, other than to agree that a "story," in our sense, doesn't necessarily have to feature a character, his obstacles, and the resolution. It can be simply a narrative or even just a consistency of character or action that ties things together.

For me personally, fine, flabbergast me. Blow me away. But give me a clue as to who you are and why I should spend my time and my money watching you. If all I wanted out of entertainment were to solve puzzles, I'd take up crosswords or Sudoku... because even the old classic murder mysteries are about the characters and how they approach the investigation.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
voodoo
View Profile
Regular user
Indonesia
163 Posts

Profile of voodoo
I don't agree if someone said that not every illusions has a story to tell.
It depends on your imagination, "you don't have a story for your illusion" is more acceptable I think, IMHO

Quote:
On 2008-12-01 14:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Why did he HAVE to show as many Illusions as possible?

That's strange...

Smile

I guest everyone has their own purposed on doing their illusions, if Hans doing the same thing like DC's he probably known as gonna be DC's wanna be
"When Illusions Become Reality"
www.demianaditya.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20524 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have not read any of the posts, and this is going to be a more drooling post than I like ot make but here goes.

I went to see Penn and Teller last month. It was not a magic show. It was an entertainment experience, in which magic took place. I was fooled at times, I was moved at times, I was taken on a ride each and every moment of the show.

I was sucked into their world and they grabbed hold of me and didn't let me go till they were done with me.

Mac King does this as well if you ask me. While not an illusionist he still fits the bill of the sort of entertainment.

I miss this sort of show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slam-Bam Illusion Acts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL