The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Oh, dear ... ANOTHER 'oddity museum'! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Looks like yet another cool place to visit!

Mark. Smile
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I believe that's where Jake the Alligator boy is.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
There's a Photo of Jake's Gravesite in Lone Fir Cemetery. I guess they dug up the remains for display. Anyone else catch that
or have I missed a piece of the History.

Cindi
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Cindi...Jake the Alligator Boy is a Fake...a Gaff...like a Fiji mermaid...just a small stuffed gator body and a mummified monkey head. Not exactly the most beliveable gaff ever made. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Doug,
Yeh I knew it was a Gaff, I have a FiJi ...but don't understand why someone would create a Marble Headstone in a local cemetery there if the supposed remains are nearby in the Museum. Headstones, especially one with special engraving of the figure are Far from cheap. Someone went to great lengths to try to make it believable. That's what I noticed anyway.
Thanks for the reply
Cindi
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Interesting. What does the headstone say exactly? I thought maybe it was the grave site for one of the Sideshow acts that were billed as 'Alligatopr Man' that you were referencing.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I Think that may be "Marsh's" Grave.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1356 Posts

Profile of handa
Never underestimate the length that people will go to perpetuate a hoax.

When we say "Nobody would do that" is exactly what gets many people thinking to do EXACTLY that...if somebody else has not already done it.

Chris
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1356 Posts

Profile of handa
P.S.--I've added Marsh's to my "wish list" of places I want to visit before I die.
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Marsh's Museum is a high point in that part of Washington. Jake is a local legend. There was a 75th birthday celebration for Jake last July. ( I was in town at the time) Just up the road from Long Beach, we do a gig and t=our little museum does just fine. Folks always tell us to go check out Jake. Everyone knows its a gaff, but hell, its entertaining.

Now its kinda a museum and souvenir shop. There are several items d'oject as well as old fashioned peep shows and other dime machines... My wife was especially fond of he cyclops lambs head that looked like a styro-foam ball covered with lambs wool and a single galls eye....

They also sell burgers and clam chowder....In Fact Marsh's started out as a burger joint when folks would come to the beach to collect the flotsam from shipwrecks in the area. One thing after another and years later its an industry

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mecca.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I haven't been to Marsh's yet.........have you been to Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe in Seattle? That's another really cool Oddities Museum/Gift shop. Here's some photos from flickr......they have a couple of amazing mummies...tons of shrunken heads, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ye+olde+curiosity+shoppe
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
T-Ray,

No I haven't had a chance to go to Ye Olde's on Seattle. When on the road with big vehicles, the last thing you want to do is roam around narrow, congested city streets.

btw, I am not looking forward to next year.... Arizona State fair ended with a whimper. ALthough, in tough economic times, the fair might just be the place to be... Indio in February with our slum. If we have enoguh soup till then.. the beast neds a new engine to pass smog, the other beast needs a radiator and it goes on and on and on... The Wizard says "If it weren't for vehicles, we'd all be rich...."
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Big Kahuna

I was thinking about giving the Arizona state fair a go with my new Atomic Death Worm... but then I got a job. It is a cool job and as of yet I have no complaints, however I'm sorry it wasn't the best run for you.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
We'll see what the new year brings.

Currently we are standing in front of the government offices, looking for our own "bailout". Unfortunately, there are no more "trillions" to give out...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've been to Marsh's Free Museum at least 100 times through the years.
I grew up with "Jake" !!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I did fairs for many years and election year was always the worst. Lost my @ss every time. It should pick up next year, depending on unemployment and housing.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Plus ther's that 'other' new Museum....just called 'Museum' which features lots of bizarre creatures and stuff in glaring closeup. Smile http://SpookyBook.com
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
I have never bought into the election year downturn theory, although a lot of fair-folk ascribe to it. Having been through about a half a dozen presidential elections during my short fair tenure--we never noticed such a downturn.

But, 2009 could be good for fairs, in that folks will be looking for cheap entertainment (yeah, right), close to home. But fairs and especially carnivals are beginning to price themselves out of the market.

Out here in the west, RCS, (Ray Cammack Shows), which has Orange County, Pomona and Del Mar, are going from 4 weeks to five weeks. There was also talk of the same happening to AZ State Fair. That means of course the California State Fair will have no carnival as Orange County will run into CSF. Word is, is that CSF will go with and independent lot, that is, no one carnival, but multiple folks will provide rides, games, etc.

Fuel prices probably forced RCS to go to that move. They also went to "no agent" for the games. Just pimply faced kids who are not allowed to call anyone in. Nothing more than, "Sir, would you like to play this game?" Everything is now done on pre-paid cards. Folks load up their cash on the cards and then have no money for anything off the midway. Hence my sometimes sign that we do not take carnival tickets or cards...

We can thank Ron Burback and Funtastic for this move, They have been doing this for years in the Pacific Northwest. I think that Butler still has independent games, but I will find out this February in Indio.

Its been the opinion that the move to getting rid of independent games is that carnivals want ALL the money and believe they are not getting the full count from game operators. Ya think so?

But AZ State Fair may have been a portend of things to come, at least out west. Folks have lost their homes, and jobs and when they get to the fair, its 17 bucks to park, 17 bucks to get in, 9 bucks for a beer and then $75 for an all day ride pass. So by the time they get to food or independent product booths, or small museums, they are wiped out... Heck, The NM State Fair this year had to drop their prices on orders from the Governor to try and get folks in the door. A lot of vendors did dismal there this year.

Fairs out west are pricing themselves out of the market. The big ones anyway. The smaller ones, the ones out in the hinterlands that are mid sized should still be good. At least we can hope.

Anyone else have info regarding stuff out east of the Rockies?
Anyone else have any info regarding the fair biz out beyond the Rockies?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Oh, dear ... ANOTHER 'oddity museum'! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL