The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » looking for help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have a silk production that I use to produce five 18" silks.

It is a cardboard box I made. The problem is as many shows as I do it is getting wore out. It is made to look like a gift, then I reach in and the bottom falls out (to show empty). Then when it is put back together the silks are produced. Is there anything like this that I could get that would hold up to show after show?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Maybe a Jap (please no offense to all of our Asian friends is intended) Hank Box. I believe it is in Rice's Silk Magic Vol. 1. Check with Abbotts, I know they used to carry them.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Flourish dude:

There is a very neat (and seldom used) effect called "Flipp-Flapp" still made by Magic Hands in Germany. A number of Internet shops sell it, but I saw it at dazzlingmagic.com. It's hard to describe the box, but it can be used to produce about five or six 18" silks (more if you use the diamond cut silks). One nice thing about Flipp-Flapp is that you don't need a table.

Ron Reid
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
You could make the same box out of thin wood, like 1/4" plywood or maybe even thinner door skin, then découpage it with wrapping paper or glue fabric on the walls. Properly made you would have the same box you are using now, your creation, but one that would live forever.

If you have no woodworking skills maybe someone could make it for you. If you could make it from cardboard it cannot be that hard to build from wood. You can PM me if you want any other info.

quack
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I was looking at the Flip Flap last night. It is also made of cardboard and might not stand up. I was thinking about making my box out of sheet metal or as suggested wood. This might be a tough challange but metal would last forever. Anyone used the Flip Flap? I think they cost like 60.00. I am going to try to make one next week. I think a metal one is the way to go.
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Atlanta Magician
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
13 Posts

Profile of Atlanta Magician
This is just a thought, but have you tried to laminate the box?

If you find someone who laminates with a thick mill laminating plastic, it might work to laminate just the wrapping paper only. The plastic lamination would provide rigidity to the box.

Jeff
"There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees."
-Michel de Montaigne
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Flourish dude:

I can think of a number of possibilities for you, but let me ask: Do you need a box production device, or are you open to other things, like production tubes? Also, are you looking for something that is pretty much angle-proof?

There a number of really cool, well-made props that can fit the bill. Here are a few that come to mind right away

1. Temple Screen - will hold a big load, but is a bit angly from the sides.

2. Lewis Cone - pretty much angle-proof. Well made with book-binder tape.

3. Drawer Box - there are a number of them out there. Made of wood, so more durable.

4. Phantom Tube - made of metal, so very durable.

5. Ghost Tube (also called "satanic Tube" - don't you just love these old names?) It's like a phantom tube, but hinges open. They're made of both metal and wood.

Ron Reid
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I like the box but would love other ideas. Here is what I think about these so far:

1. Temple Screen - will hold a big load, but is a bit angly from the sides. Not sure if I like the way this handles. Seems bulky for what I am looking for.

2. Lewis Cone - pretty much angle-proof. Well made with book-binder tape.
I have to pick it up and put it down, not sure if the cone is good for this.

3. Drawer Box - there are number of them out there. Made of wood, so more durable. I use this for my rabbit production so I don't want to use it twice.

4. Phantom Tube - made of metal, so very durable. I need to find one big enough for all my silks.

5. Ghost Tube (also called "satanic Tube" - don't you just love these old names?) It's like a phantom tube, but hinges open. They're made of both metal and wood. This is most likley the best so far (other then the box). I like that I can show it open. Again I need to find one large enough.
www.magicalmemories.us
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Mikame makes a ghost tube that might be what you're looking for. They call it a Genii Tube - you can see a color photo of it at Stevens Magic http://www.stevensmagic.com
Do a search for "Mikame".

I saw another item at Denny and Lee. It's the Creekmore Genii Tube, where you can show both ends. Looks very nice, but is quite expensive. It's at http://www.dennymagic.com

I see a number of dealers who sell the Hampton Ridge Model. It looks pretty nice and is less expensive than the Mikame or Creekmore. I don't know how many silks it will hold, but I would think it will hold at least five 18" silks.

Ron Reid
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
Flourish Dude,
Take a look at the laminated plastic over corrugated sheet in the craft shops. They are a little less than 1/4" thick and you should be able to assemble it into a box using a craft knife.

Dwight
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try .030" aluminum sheet. (I get it at a roofing supply house so it will be very flat.) Use a color that matches colored duct tape (I use red or blue) for very strong hinges. A sheet of this stuff 4'x 10' is about $30. Once you start using it, you will love it for all kinds of projects.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Darkwing's recommendation seems closer to what you seem to be using. The Japanese Hank Box they sell holds a smaller load while their Silk Production Box supposedly holds up to sixteen 18-inch silks. Look and compare both:

https://elektra.safe-order.net/abbottmag......tion.pdf

As for Ron's recommendations, I guess I am partial to using a Lewis Cone (packs flat and can be shown empty on both sides, the phantom tube, and the ghost tube. I would like to add two more recommendations: a massal tube (refer to Marconick's book on Silk Magic and McBride's tapes/DVD (Magic on Stage Volume 2: Exotic Myteries ) and Pavel's Change Tube (refer to Encyclopedia of Silk Magic Volume 4; it is a combination massal and ghost tubes).

I have Magic Hands' Flipp Flapp. It is nicely constructed. If not abused, it can definitely last a while. I am not good at constructing these items but I guess it could be made of sheet metal. I would love to see what it looks like once you are done.

Good luck!!!!!!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » looking for help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL