The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Isolation clip, must see. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Ken The Klown
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Ken The Klown
Firstly, Joel Bauer owns the trademark AND copyright on stroking the audiences. Stroke yours at your peril. He WILL sue.

Secondly, put your big girl panties on and get over Marc's clip. It was neither risque nor offensive. It wasn't even naughty. It was rather vanilla. Tasty vanilla, to be sure, but vanilla nonetheless. As vanilla as Mac King rubbing the "seven waaaarm cards" across his cheek.

If you want naughty, you'll be wanting my "Seven Keys to Bald*****" monograph. It's available in a limited e-dition for just $666 US.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Colin,
You make a good point. I know we've discussed this before but thought I'd say it here. In support of Marc's clip -

Who really wants to do 'safe' mentalism? Controversy and risk, thinking outside of the proverbial box and pushing the envelope is what makes great mentalism. Look at Derren, Berglas, Geller and even Blaine. They all have one thing in common. They are all pushing things and getting attention. They're not afraid of alienating people and I'd say there is a lesson we can all learn.

Playing it safe means some people wont get it. I've been victim of this myself and am the first to hold my hand up. I performed a show last year which some said was in 'bad taste' as I got a woman to prove her greed by gambling her entire family for £1,000. Controversial yes. Did it nail the point home? Absolutely. Was it safe mentalism, not at all. Some people,including one reviewer didn't get it which is absolutely fine.

Marc has a character and plays it according to his wisdom of many years of performing (heck he's getting older by the day) and judges each audience as I think the other performers here do.

Its interesting to think about - what are you more comfortable with, safety or pushing forward.

Just some thoughts,

Ken
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
What a top quality piece of entertainment from a true pro. To go to the USA and unleash what I'd call typically British humour takes balls. It worked a treat and I loved it - and Amber!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
That was incredible Marc. Cannot figure out how you did it but the clip is ultimately entertaining and that's the point, right?

So, how'd you do it? My PM box is waiting Smile
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1254 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I know how he did it, the night before he did meet Amber and he did have some action in these 5 days but in the show he just denied it and the audience thought it was English humor…

:)

Great job Mark!
Chris Greenwood
View Profile
New user
Cornwall U.K.
13 Posts

Profile of Chris Greenwood
Very entertaining clip. It's great to see strong mentalism with good fun and entertainment.

Bravo..

Chris
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Man, that was awesome. Marc, you are hilarious.

But here's the thing...this is such a great example of Zentertainment...a true master breathes with his audience and lets them tell him silently where to go.

It's not something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't.

Marc definitely has it, and thanks madly to Looch for letting us in.

D
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Thanks Don,

That is very kind of you. I would say that your excellent phrase 'Zentertainment' may not be taught from others but is something you do begin to feel the more you perform. I have performed my cabaret act hundreds and thousands of times. In the beginning I had no sense of timing, what would hold an audience, when a gag would work and when it would distract.

After time and watching the bad quality video footage back I started to see moments when I got bored, or it dragged or a line that just worked for whatever reason. I then adjusted and now I can say with my hand on my heart I don't do a bad cabaret and most seem to enjoy my brand of entertainment. There is no set formula, in fact one audience can vary to another. I sometimes remove effects, lines or gags depending on my audience. My job is to entertain them, not me or my ego so sometimes adjustments are made.

Even Derren Brown will rework things for his excellent tour shows, Andy and Derren go through everything with a fine toothed comb and the results are amazing.

One thing I would say to anyone doing this as a hobby, career or part time deal, film your act, it takes nothing to set up a little camcorder in the corner of the room on a tripod and hit record before you go on.

Be honest with what you watch back, let your nearest and dearest watch it and give you genuine feedback. People at your cabaret are normally very polite and say what we want to hear. Good friends and fellow artists will tell you the truth both good and bad. I can't tell you how great it is to have Peter Nardi, The Grey Man and Looch as fellow colleagues.

Good thoughts and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy 2009. Think of me at 12.00 as I will be alone driving for 3 hours back home from a cabaret show in the midlands down the deserted motorway.. How sad..

MS
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Some great sound advice there.

A very Happy New Year to you too, Marc.

Where in the Midlands will you be?
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
I've just seen the clip - excellent - although I would expect nothing less from Marc. I look forward to watching more.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Thank you Mr Shaw,

I hope you had a good Christmas and look forward to seeing you in 09...
Are you going to Blackpool?

MS
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12069 Posts

Profile of John C
Was that real?

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Isolation clip, must see. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL