The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Performers/ Routines using a Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I know this has probably been discussed on The Board. Can someone direct me to suggestions of performers/ routines that use a Chop Cup in a two cup routine?

Thanks,

allen
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Why do you ask?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Two Goblets by Gary Oulette, which is available from the Camirand Academy of Magic is a good routine. I would start there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Actually the first "Chop Cup" ever published, 20 years before Al Wheatley, was a two cups effect (not routine). Are you heading back to the sources?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Etienne M.
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
75 Posts

Profile of Etienne M.
Doesn't the routine of Carl Andrews uses two cups of which one is chop cup?

Greetz Floyd
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-- Albert Einstein
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Carl Andrews does not use chop cup. It however is a great routine!!!

Thanks
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Let me ask my question another way. Having seen several performances of the Cups and Balls(Ammar, Williamson, Mendoza, etc.) and wanting to use only two cups (one being a Chop Cup), When/ How would you suggest during the routine of incorporating the use of the Chop Cup?

Thanks,

allen
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would suggest that you read or watch several routines and see what it is that you like. Nobody here can tell YOU how to do it. You have to determine what is best for yourself.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When to use the chop? when you want to. You need to start to play around with the props. who knows, you might come up with something original.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Right..... I had just never seen anyone use a Chop Cup as a part of a Cup Routine and was just wondering if anyone on the Board had used the Chop Cup in a cup routine.

Thanks for the advice guys...

allen
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 20:45, Magic from A to Z wrote:
I know this has probably been discussed on The Board. Can someone direct me to suggestions of performers/ routines that use a Chop Cup in a two cup routine?

Thanks,

allen

One of the members here, Scott Guinn, has a two cup routine that uses one chop cup. He used to sell it as an ebook. PM him here and ask him about it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Not sure about 2 cup routines, but as for 1 or 3 cups:

Brad Burt has a great one cup routine for Chop Cup. I have his VHS version - I assume it is available on DVD, but not too sure.

If you can get hold of it, John Mendoza published "The Mendoza Cups & Balls Routine Plus Sequel" originally in 1971, reprinted at least 10 times through 1993, as a booklet. It is a 3 cup routine which includes use of a chop cup. Perhaps it can be adapted for 2 cups. I think this routine is on one of John Mendoza's VHS/DVDs, but not sure which one - can anyone help?
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2008-12-01 14:35, kerpa wrote:
Not sure about 2 cup routines, but as for 1 or 3 cups:

Brad Burt has a great one cup routine for Chop Cup. I have his VHS version - I assume it is available on DVD, but not too sure.

Yes its available on DVD - as is ALL 17 of his teaching series.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreF......65360665

You should pick it up as Brad is a great teacher - very thorough and patient.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'm getting a need to shift to HL or LB mode here.

I have a three cup routine. It definitely fits the bill here. I don't know how good a teacher I am, as compared to Brad Burt. I do teach the routine though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9jqK58M1M

This one will take a little more perserverance than some other routines.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I have to say that Kent's routine is definitely something to aspire to. Each time I watch it I am more impressed.

If only I hadn't traded my combo set for some magic beans...

Seriously Mr. Gunn - Well done. I may just have to work toward a decent combo set in the near future.

Thanks for sharing your routine.

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
You're right it is currently the best routine. It successfully defies Jason latimer or Antonio Romero.

The only way to go further is to use three balls of different colors AND crystal clear glasses.

In water medical cures from special water mineral sources, people get glasses covered with a kind of woven stroh... This is a natural prop I've been playing with.
Also remember Pete Biro's idea with the sanitized paper covering an hotel bathroom glass...

Then work at the nature of the balls (white grape, olives, red grape?) There are very convincing fakes done for flower arrangements. One could use sea shells of different colors and shapes and get ideas from Conus or Paul Gertner routines

One can also play with the nature of che cups: there are two known routine using table bells (actually chop bells) which can be made not to ring during a non stacking routine.

But let's take Kent as a starting point to go further rather than other already very known routine, keeping in mind that what makes the routine is not so much the technique (which has to be immaculate and original) as the persona and the script.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Dan Tong has a great little routine on his DVD set.

You can pick it up at kozmomagic.com

I have the set and use the routine often.

The rest of the DVD set is good as well...

Shawn
Shawn.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Gary Oulette's 2-cup routine is available on the the World's greatest magic: Chop Cup DVD, which is an excellent resource for learning the chop cup, and only 20 bucks...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Performers/ Routines using a Chop Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL