The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Human Cannonball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi there

I know this one is serious. In my search for the weird I've been trying to find info on the Human Cannonball stunt. Perhaps this is a circus question as opposed to sideshow, but it's a stunt so I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone here know of plans for building one, or someone who would build one to sell one?

I know it's serious, but I love information.

Many Thanks

I
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hi ns,
I have had the same Passion. I am associated with the Circus family related to the performer who in recent times missed the Net and broke his Legs. He sold the Cannon and bought a Ferrari. So that may give you an idea of cost Smile I am also a member of the Showmen's club in Gibsonton and have went to meetings asking around for an Old Cannon for sale. They tell me they are few and far between. I know they use an Air Ram inside. Ringling teaches method and technique in their Circus school in Sarasota Florida I believe. Met a performer who went there. She said keep your Body limp and go with the flow. As far as building plans I suggest to search the US Patent website perhaps. Good luck in your search.
Cindi
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Hugo Zacchini was the man when it came to the human cannonball. It is a good,but expensive stunt. And, of course, dangerous. Just ask Elvin Bale (that's the guy that missed the net!) The Zacchini family are still around, in the Sarasota area (Hugo built the blade box I have.)
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Wow, fast responses. Thanks guys.

Todd, I saw that Blade Box when I attended your Carnival Knowledge show a few years ago. It was great.

Cindi, I'll do some looking in the patent websites and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea.

I don't think this will go much further than an information gather for me, but you never know.

I've read that some people use springs instead of air. That sounds safer to me, but of course I have no experience with this.

Thanks again for your help.

I
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I have two blade boxes (doesn't everyone?) The one in Carnival Knowledge was from Jay Marshall. I was taking about the other one I have. It was on display in the museum in Coney Island for a couple of years.

The use of springs is how the cannon's were originally built, but as far as I know, all cannons used today are air powered.
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Cindi wrote:

"I know they use an Air Ram inside. Ringling teaches method and technique in their Circus school in Sarasota Florida I believe. Met a performer who went there. She said keep your Body limp and go with the flow."

I am familiar with the workings of the cannon stunt having toured with Ringling Bros and personally knowing performers who have done it (brothers Phillip and Marco Peters from the Netherlands doing the double shot and American Jon Weiss doing the single cannon). The method used for those cannons are not 'Air Ram' but utilize a completely different method for propulsion (the explosion heard is just mis-direction and has nothing to do with the launch). Also one does NOT 'keep the body limp and go with the flow'. Quite the opposite - the artist tenses up their entire body making it a tight, compact 'bullet'. Jon once told me it was like being inside of a barrel and having car hit you at a hundred miles an hour while you were standing still.

I am not familiar with a current Ringling Circus School in Sarasota. Their old Clown College was in Venice for years but has since been disbanded. There was a trapeze school on the old Venice lot for a few years after but I haven't been down that way in awhile. I would think that the only way to learn such an act would be to become an apprentice to someone who is currently preforming it so as to learn everything about everything.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions - hope this helps.

Cap'n Mike
RBB&B Red Unit 1991-1993
Myrtle Beach, SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2008-11-30 17:10, SeasideShowman wrote:
I would think that the only way to learn such an act would be to become an apprentice to someone who is currently preforming it so as to learn everything about everything.

It also requires a certain caliber of person. (let the puns begin!)
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Also , this is the only job that it PAYS to get FIRED! This job is a real BLAST! and has a good NET income.

ROD
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Please note that I shared Information "told" to me by those who have experience in the subject. If they are wrong then they fabricated the information in what they were taught or were asleep in class. This is the very reason many have stopped posting here. There's always the "One"
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Quote:
On 2008-11-30 20:05, Cindi wrote:
Please note that I shared Information "told" to me by those who have experience in the subject. If they are wrong then they fabricated the information in what they were taught or were asleep in class. This is the very reason many have stopped posting here. There's always the "One"

Cindi,

I'm not sure what you meant by your post however if I said something in my previous post on this subject that you took offense to, I apologize. I meant no disrespect.

My intention was only to give you what knowledge I have on this subject. In no way was I attempting to insinuate that you or the folks you've spoken to about cannons 'fabricated the information'. And there may have been a Ringling Circus School in Sarasota at one time ... I merely mentioned that I wasn't aware of one.

This free exchange of information is what makes sites like this great and shouldn't be the cause for folks to stop posting.

Respectfully,

Cap'n Mike
(who's not sure if he's "the One" ...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
The Ringling Brothers Clown College started in Venice, Florida, moved to Wisconsin, then ended up in Sarasota where it closed in 1997.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Why not just contact Elvin Bale, and get the skoop..Elvin has designed almost all of the ringling Cannons...up until recent years...I'll tell you this for certain it's not an air ram....and it's not a stunt...you can get hurt...I happened to be around when he was training his latest human projectile....Cannonball Kellan.. for the Cole Show...even when the cannon is fired on "idle" if you scrape against the barrel on the way out you can end up with some fairly nasty road rash....don't try this on your own.....learn from a pro....someone who knows what can go wrong...and how to counteract this.....you can reach Elvin through http://www.elvinbale.com

AC
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quick scientific (medical) fact: human canonballers lose up to 1/2" to 1" of hieght during their career. Something to do with vertebral compression during lift off.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Cap'n Mike. Thank you.

Nipps, I think I could handle being 5'8" instead of 5'9" Smile
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Last night I was searching for old circus photos.
While doing this I came across plans for the human cannon ball.
I was going to come here and post it, but I was busy and it was already 4am.

But the plans aren't that hard to find online.

Randi
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2008-12-01 06:56, adam christopher wrote:
Why not just contact Elvin Bale, and get the skoop..Elvin has designed almost all of the ringling Cannons...up until recent years...I'll tell you this for certain it's not an air ram....and it's not a stunt...you can get hurt...I happened to be around when he was training his latest human projectile....Cannonball Kellan.. for the Cole Show...even when the cannon is fired on "idle" if you scrape against the barrel on the way out you can end up with some fairly nasty road rash....don't try this on your own.....learn from a pro....someone who knows what can go wrong...and how to counteract this.....you can reach Elvin through http://www.elvinbale.com

AC

SOD that I'm off to the garage to start building ...... ill start with a model using the hamster as teh cannon ball then work up to the cat (and if needed the neighbors cats) then when I am absolutly sure I have everything working ill move on to a human sized one - use a bag of potatoes (ha you say poooottaatoos I say tats) to simulate the human body and then get one of my kids in the cannon and do a local show "for real"- say over 3 neighbors gardens I have a hamock that we can use for the net! ..... hey if it don't work the first time - well that's why we had two kids wasnt it?
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
The hamster one is easy.
I have been doing it for years.
Just go buy one of those slingshots that use rubber tubing.

In our Dead Girl Circus show, we do a human cannon ball thing.
She is a ghost though and it's real easy.
She gets in the cannon and we hand her a hanky...
the cannon is fired and her and the hanky goes shooting over the audience.
http://www.deadgirlcircus.com

Randi
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Ha! Neat!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
OR....... You could use a ZUCCINI SQUASH TOO. Just call the act, The GREAT Zuccini" haha

ROD
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi all

I've been away and haven't been able to respond to the posts that were made to my question.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer. Even the puns are appreciated.

At elvinbale.com he says that his cannon was used on a Discovery channel show called human cannonballs. Anyone ever hear of it?

Off to look for more plans

I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Human Cannonball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL