The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel - Believe (or not?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Wow! Somehow, whenever I read a bad review of this show, I find it hard to believe. Not because I'm an Angel lover, but I find it hard to believe it's still that bad. We appreciate you going through such torture for us. When I'm in Vegas in a few months, I intend to see Copperfield, even though I love to watch a train wreck.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks, Star Magic!

Was there the hurricane or twister thing coming from his mouth?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Star_magic, I agree with your review except for the part about the dove act. While I think it's inclusion is a great idea and, in fact, the only thing in the show that qualifies as magic, I cannot agree with you that Angel executes it well. If this is the best dove work you've ever seen, you need to get down to Lance's show at the Monte Carlo. Lance's routine is flawless, and he makes it appear effortless. Angel needs a lot of work. His actions are clunky and studied and, quite often, telegraphing exactly what is happening.
It's all in the reflexes.
Star_magic
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Star_magic
As many of the illusions, he must have worked this intensely as well. Perhaps he improved since you saw him? Well, I don't work with doves, but it was just my personal opinion as well as the opinion of the laymen we went with.

I agree, Lance is light years ahead in so many ways when it comes to the execution of the magic.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I saw the show last week.
Good to hear that the laypeeps thought the dove stuff was good, though. Unfortunately, it cannot save this show.
It's all in the reflexes.
Star_magic
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Star_magic
Psychic Samurai, there was nothing of such nature. I read him releasing that to the press long time ago, as well. But just another example of how they constantly changed the theme. Houdini was also supposed to be used as a "backdrop" long ago.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes ... How much Houdini stuff was in there other than the name Believe? Some kind of tribute? Did they show the picture of Criss sitting on top of Houdini's grave in the preview?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Star_magic
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Star_magic
Not a single Houdini element at all.
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
What about the straitjacket escape?
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Star_magic:

Thank you for your well written review of the show.

I cannot help but think that the Cirque camp must be very disturbed by the negative critical reviews of this show. I can not recall any of their other productions suffering the same criticism.

It is hard for me to imagine exactly how Cirque can salvage this show. One could argue the point "just get rid of Criss Angel", but the fact is that the show is suppose to be about Criss Angel. Like most of us, I had hoped that this show would reinvigorate the public into wanting to see more magic shows, but it is not the case with this one.

Chris
Star_magic
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Star_magic
He didn't draw any parallel whatever between his straitjacket escape and Houdini. The escape happened as a part of the storyline where he gets caught by the "evil creatures" and suspended.
magicneil
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicneil
I'm seeing the show tomorrow, even though I've read the bad reviews. The worker at the discount ticket booth today tried to talk me out of buying the tickets. lol I'll let you guys know what I thought of it sometime in the next couple days.

Neil
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Last night at a gig, I met my first layman who had seen the show right before Halloween. He swears it was a waste of money. He explained to everyone at the table how you can see wires and how there's a guy that's supposed to be Criss at one point, but it really is just a guy dressed like him. Hmmmmm
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
The Cirque camp now knows how our government feels...
One can throw millions at a problem and, oopsie, it still does not work....

I am sad to hear things are not going well with the show. I hope they can rework a few things and make the show great....
Criss Angel... Hold on .... work hard... and good luck, buddy....
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3498 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Magic Magazine's review was what I can only call "careful."
It was real, but also optimistic for the future.

What a shame for Las Vegas audiences and for magic!
Perhaps if they spend (even) more,
and bring in a show-doctor who knows and loves Magic as an art,
and who both producers and star will listen to,
the project can be salvaged.

I know... a lot of "ifs" on top of a lot of egos....

Happy H'Days,
Walt
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Going tonight in spite of everything I have heard.

I'll let you know....
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I was told by a close friend who saw the show a few days ago that the special effects and the video was amazing........ Other than that, it was pretty much an upset... His son is a real big fan of the Mindfreak show and thought that the show S----..... He says bad words on stage and is a complete hodge podge of a show..... I can't Believe that they are still selling full price tickets to this show... All of the other Cirque shows are selling for half price now.

This friend of mine is a big star and couldn't even get the chance to shake hands or get a photo with Criss after the show..... I'm told that the only way you are going to be able to hang out with Criss after the show is if you are a relative of his, and then the chances are still pretty slim.

He is a Big Star, and he would like everyone to know it.

PS: The son of the big star friend of mine that saw the show asked me, "Why was the show so bad and not as good as the TV show?" I said, "Well, I haven't seen the show yet, but I would guess that since it was live, he had no chance for camera tricks...... That's what makes him look like he is the real deal on TV....."

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
We ended up selling the tickets and never went. Smile
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
I just watched Penn & Teller´s show. It´s really great!! Worth every penny. Both for magicians and lay people. It´s a must if you go to Las Vegas. For me the best show so far is O from Cirque. I would put Believe about 25th on my list. Happy Holidays!
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
I went to see the show on the 2nd of Jan. I set next to a group from China who were laghing half way through. On the way out The most often heard sentence from laymen was there was no magic. The impression I got was it is a self love fest for Chris. Several times during the show he would yell I'm Chris Angel, and the show would not go on until the audiance reacted, often after several prompts from him. The strongest applause that night was the first time the dancers came out on stage. The way he was surrounded and hooked up and un hooked from cables was sad. Please someone who is high enough on the food chain set Chris down and get him to change this show before it is to late.
The weaver of Illusions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel - Believe (or not?) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL