The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Easy illusion to wow guests at daughter's birthday party... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Digita1B0B
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Digita1B0B
Hello everyone,

This Saturday we are hosting a party for my daughter's 9th birthday. It's fairy themed and we have a high school girl making a surprise visit in the role of a fairy. It will sort of be a murder mystery party without the murder.

Because fairies are magical, we intended for the high school girl playing the role of fairy to do a quick illusion to wow the girls and help get them into the whole theme. Elsewhere, I'd read about putting food coloring in some water to make it look like juice and then adding bleach powder to make it clear again. We thought we'd have her pour some "juice" into a clear glass, show it to everyone, then pour it into a dark blue glass that would have bleach powder in the bottom, give it a stir and then pour it back into the clear glass, saying she'd turned it into water. However, this morning when I did a trial run I found out that it doesn't really turn clear, it just lightens the shade of red. Bah humbug. So now I'm four days out with no trick.

The other trick she'll claim to be able to do is to crack an egg and have a live bird fly out. Their jaws are certain to drop at the claim, but when she cracks the egg it will have had the yolk and white blown out through small holes and we'll have inserted a clue inside that will start them on a scavenger hunt. When they ask later on for her to show them the trick, we'll conveniently have no more eggs.

Can anyone suggest some sort of very easy, yet mystifying illusion that we can do to impress our young guests and make the party a big hit? It just needs to be easy and as foolproof as possible... if you talked to my wife, you'd understand why.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bob
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Check your PM. Just a start.
yeats
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of yeats
I would suggest a color-changing hankerchief; available at any magic store, probably for around $5 - $10. Very easy to perform.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Buy some books and start studying. Forget showing a magic routine next Wednesday or even next sunday. Pratcise , practise practise and don't ruin the art of magic is my advice.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Michael Tummer makes a vaild point... unless you are already skilled in magic, looking for an effect that can be learned and mastered in a week can be difficult. You will be limited to some very basic effects.

If you need something to perform in that timeframe, you will be limited to self working magic. Anything self working can be learned quickly - it is the patter and presentation that takes time...

Your audience sounds like it will be mostly children - so the technical skills of the effect are not as important as the performance and keeping them entertained aspect. I know many terrible magicians that are great childrens magicians... keep them laughing is what counts.

My suggestion would be to not get one or two effects, but rather get the Silly Billy book and/or DVD. It will have you winning them over quickly with some very simply routines.

One example - Chris Capehart is a master magician, very skilled... ever see his kids show? now much actual MAGIC and knucklebusting moves... its more about keeping the kids energized and laughing... he even jokes about it.. "they PAY me to do this!!!" Kids shows require more acting/entertainer skills than actual magic skills.

Our web store has a section for Kids Magic that plays well to this way of thought.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Buy the Doll House from a magic shop.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Disappearing katsup bottle to appearing 10' pole. 2 different effects combined to amazing effect. Simple to learn and incredible visual
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of jtb
I would suggest the Magic Coloring Book. It is easy and works great for kids. You could tie it in with producing colored liquids that are then magically added to the book to color in the book.

John B.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
MM Reed said:
Quote:
I know many terrible magicians that are great childrens magicians... keep them laughing is what counts.

Hmm. How can you be a terrible magician and a great magician at the same time? Must be magic!!!!

:magicrabbit:
Digita1B0B
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Digita1B0B
Thanks so much everyone for the great suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Rainbow Streamers b/c the girl who's assisting with the party doesn't need to do anything except say a few magic words and point her magic wand at me. I'll then act surprised and begin pulling the ribbon out of my mouth. I called my local magic shop and they have it in stock so I'm good to go.

I love the disappearing bottle followed by the appearing pole but it looks like it might be cost prohibitive for just one use. Of course, who knows... I may catch the magic bug and begin performing. Ever since a friend performed the invisible deck trick for me in college and completely blew my mind, I've always wanted to learn how to do that one. Maybe I'll give it a go. Smile

I'm half-tempted to pick up a magic coloring book, too for after the teen leaves just so I can wow them a little, too.

Thanks again everyone.

Bob
phoogestijn
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
26 Posts

Profile of phoogestijn
When I was a young boy we used to do simple tricks at school. One of them is described on the following website. proefjes.nl (translated from Dutch Smile ).

It's a self working trick, whereby red colored juice turns blue. Very impressing!!!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I second the coloring book..

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Easy illusion to wow guests at daughter's birthday party... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL