We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
"Hey guys. I have a question about the classic pal- STOP". We have all been seeing a lot of Q&A going on with the classic palm and it is my hopes to clear some of that up with you. For those of you browsing for answers on your classic palm, I am going to save you a lot of time searching. If there is anything I missed in this list, Please send me a PM and I will update this as frequent as possible.
---------------------------------------------

Q. How long does it take to master the classic palm?
A. As long as it takes. To MASTER the classic palm, It usually takes a good 3 months at minimum but that for most people is just pushing it. I have known people who spent 2-3 years on this. When I started out, My hands were as soft as a baby's bottom so it obviously took a while to get a grip on it.

----------------------------------------------

Q. What kind of coins are best for classic palming coins?
A. From experience, The best coins for classic palming when starting out are ones with milled (Correct me if I'm wrong) edges. These have rigid edges. These kind of edges are on Kennedy Halves, Quarters, and many other American coins. I believe some Canadian coins also have these but I'm not from Canada so I can't guarentee that. These give you the required grip to get used to holding a coin in that kind of position. But as you procede and advance in your classic palm, You will be able to classic palm coins like English Pennies or soft coins that have edges that at
not milled. For starting off, It is in your best interest to start with a half dollar if you are younger but for some people Silver dollars are best. Try a few different coins

-----------------------------------------

Q.I keep flashing a hint of silver in my hand when I perform, What am I doing wrong?
A. You are not neccesarily doing anything wrong here. I have read up on a few different explanations on the classic palm and many are telling my that it is an invisible move and makes the coin invisible on the palm. Not really the case. This is used by a lot of people to hide. Not show the hand entirely empty. If you want an empty palm, Scroll down to find the portion where I talk about the David Roth Classic Palm. I was always convinced that you can hold your hands parallel to each other and spread your fingers apart and the coin will still stay conceiled. But that is not true. You still need to hide it. Practice in a mirror or take photographs of your hands or video tape yourself or something. Just get your angles down.

-----------------------------------------------

Q.I have chubby hands. What can I do about this?
A.Simply keep practicing and rehearsing your classic palm. There are certain lotions and oils that can be rubbed into your hands that make your palms more oily so that you can easily grip a coin. Try switching coins if you need to. If you are working with a coin without milled edges, Try switching to milled edges. For me, I can no longer classic palm with a milled edge coin. It is horrible and my hands are too sensitive now that I need to switch to softer coins. Your hands will come to shape.

-------------------------------------------

Q.I want to improve my classic palm, What do you reccomend.
A. Since you read this far, You probably read where I very briefly mentioned the David Roth classic palm. I reccomend you first take a look at his classic palm/ You can see it in his coin magic videos as well as a few clips on youtube. If you type in David Roth coin magic on youtube, you can find it. The coins through table edition of the worlds greatest magic DVD has a performance from him where you might be able to find a classic palm if you are looking carefully. Yea, He's THAT good! You will notice he has his palm almost flat instead of curled and unnatural. I can do this palm but it took me about 3 extra months of learning.
Since you want to learn more about the classic palm, You can of course read more books and watch more videos on coin magic and the classic palm. There are a couple different variations. One of my favorite subtleties in magic is the Kapps subtlety. In this, You can seamingly show the entire hand empty while holding a coin at the fingertips (or even not) and the audience has a clear shot of your entire palm as it appears to them. This is pretty difficult for some people so if you simply cannot do it yet, Leave it alone until you can. No sweat. The most common problem for people is angles, So if you are finding angle problems, re watch or re read the book or DVD and take a look at the angles. Jay Sankey's videos have a few good ideas with it. It might be in your interest to take a look at it.

--------------------------------------------------

Q. Why does my thumb stick out when I try to do the classic palm?
A. Take a look at your classic palm right now. Take note at which fingers lift the coin into position. If it is your index and second finger, How are you doing that lol. Try moving your thumb into the thumb palm position when doing it or stop using 1 finger to load it into position. Due to the anatomy of the hand, If you stretch one muscle too far, It pulls on the others in the hand which cause your fingers to act strange. I had this problem for a while too as did some of the people here. Try using 2 or 3 fingers to load it. When doing it this way, It should look like a quick tightening and loosening of the fingers (a fist) and it happens much quicker. When you use one finger, you often need more strength to press it into place. When using multiple fingers, Each one does less work so it is easier and results in a much quicker palm. This should look like you just squeeze really quickly and the palm will become much easier. If you still have this problem, Try wrapping a rubberband around your thumb and hand and you will be able to observe the finger actions when doing it PLUS, It gets your hand trained to not extending the thumb.

----------------------------------------------------

If I missed anything or skipped any quesitons you may have about the classic palm, Please PM me with them or write them in the comments section below. I tried to answer as many as I can but it is always likely that I will miss one or two.

"Perfect practice makes perfect" -Michael Ammar

-Mark Tirone
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Yeah but I still don't understand though... Smile
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
This would be a good post to make sticky at the top for reference
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
I agree that it would probably be good to have a sticky on CP. In this list there's just a few things I don't agree with.

Quote:
I keep flashing a hint of silver in my hand when I perform, What am I doing wrong?

Quick answer: Probably should be using another palm because the spectators aren't looking down on your hands. CP can be angly when working seated at a table with seated audience around the table. Try to adjust so that they see the back of your hand and especially not in between your thumb and first finger.

Quote:
You will notice he has his palm almost flat instead of curled and unnatural

Very few situations demand that you classic palm a coin while keeping your hand flat. The fingers naturally curl in when the hand is relaxed and the thumb drops down (opposable thumbs we have!). Striving for a perfectly flat hand is imo pretty meaningless.

Quote:
Q. Why does my thumb stick out when I try to do the classic palm?

Just keep your thumb and first finger together when getting the coin into clasic palm. Yes, it's hard at first but can be done. Also, the recommendation to use more than one finger because it takes less strength seems strange to me. If anyone needs strength to push the coin into CP they're doing something wrong anyway and should probably adjust the position of the coin in CP instead.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good stuff but I tellya, I learned how to do this with just Bobo's and practice, better understanding and word of mouth but mostly a lot of practice while I was learning other things. Think if I had let this thing slow me down, I might still be just doing Dime & Penny...Smile Onward men! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
PuhLEASE...

Just put the stupid coin in your hand. That's all it is...place coin in palm, make sure it doesn't fall out and nobody sees it.

That's it, plain and simple, end of story.

You remind me of my friends when we used to go out dancing and trying to pick up girls...

"Do you think she will say yes if I ask her to dance?"

"Yeah, but what if she says no?"

"Should I go over and ask her to dance?"

and on and on...

There are those who do, and then there's the others thinking about doing it.

Shut up and dance!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Forget the classic palm and learn the Ultimate Style Grip instead... Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***To MASTER the classic palm, It usually takes a good 3 months at minimum but that for most people is just pushing it.***

This is a statement I must chuckle at! I've NEVER met anyone that even had a decent CP in only 3 months! I'd say that by 3 months you might not be dropping the coin constantly but I'd be willing to bet ya still look like ya have crippling arthritis or as Vinny says, look like yer squeezing oranges!
Tis a long tenuous journey and one that takes constant practice but in the end a worthwhile endeavor! But then again you could always enjoy the benefits of the Crimp and all it's variations!

I agree a sticky for CP would be good!
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Thanks for the insightful comments Justin. I'm sure it's very helpful for every beginner and will really motivate them to ask their beginner questions without feeling stupid. I wish I was born an expert too.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Lol I almost died when I read that Justin Style LOL! Too funny!!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Forget yer coins, get yourself a set of balls!

Yo Agent, you need to be my agent...lol

Quote:
On 2008-12-03 15:49, jocce wrote:
Thanks for the insightful comments Justin. I'm sure it's very helpful for every beginner and will really motivate them to ask their beginner questions without feeling stupid. I wish I was born an expert too.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking them.

And as for the "expert" crack, I didn't know I had this great skill until after I was born!
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Ok, I guess I'm corrected then.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Mark thanks for your time putting this up. While some of I agree with and I don't at least this is a good start for someone who is trying this hold out. Which is like a bottle of wine just gets better as it ages.
Yes I agree a sticky would be great on this.

Justin
Why don't you tell us how you really feel...lol

The Captain
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Thanks for all your comments everybody. I appreciate it. It took me a while to write up after the hours of searching and computer locking lol. I am going to start editing the post with some more stuff so be on the look out for that.

-Mark Tirone
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Ok, utrns out you can't edit posts lol. Sorry guys. My mistake. I shouldve checked this all out before posting.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A sticky isn't a bad idea.

However, Mark's Q&As could be briefer.

Q: How long does it take to master the classic palm?
I agree with Mickey. Some will never "master" it like Roth has. All hands are different in structure, flexability, texture, etc.

Q: What kind of coins are best for classic palming coins?
I agree that coins with milled ( ) edges are best for most. The best bet is to try several different types of coins.

The questions about 'flashing' confused me a bit.

So did the "chubby hands" and the suggestion "There are certain lotions and oils that can be rubbed into your hands thatmake your palms more oily so that you can easily grip a coin".

Isn't the answer to the hitchhiker thumb to pinch index and second finger?

IMO. Needs work before it becomes a sticky.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 14:48, Justin Style wrote:
PuhLEASE...

Just put the stupid coin in your hand and shut up. That's all it is...place coin in palm, make sure it doesn't fall out and nobody sees it.

Bunch of whack jobs, you remind me of my stupid friends when we used to go out dancing and trying to pick up girls...

and on and on...

Shut up and dance!

LOL that's some tough love your offering...but so true as well. that's exactly what I did...I played with the coin for about 5 months, tried different positions, and eventually it just clicked. I did note that my classic palm feels different on different days, depending on my skin texture, moisture, ambient temperature, etc etc.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-12-06 01:55, evikshin wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 14:48, Justin Style wrote:
PuhLEASE...

Just put the stupid coin in your hand and shut up. That's all it is...place coin in palm, make sure it doesn't fall out and nobody sees it.

Bunch of whack jobs, you remind me of my stupid friends when we used to go out dancing and trying to pick up girls...

and on and on...

Shut up and dance!

LOL that's some tough love your offering...but so true as well. that's exactly what I did...I played with the coin for about 5 months, tried different positions, and eventually it just clicked. I did note that my classic palm feels different on different days, depending on my skin texture, moisture, ambient temperature, etc etc.

That's what I'm talking about, yo.

Stop OVER thinking and just DO it.

:cheers:
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I orginally started practicing the classic palm in March of this year. I practiced it and held it in constantly for many months, until a couple months ago I just stopped. I tried picking it up again recently and noticed it was much harder to do, i.e no muscle memory. I did seem to get better at it though, i.e not dropping it constantly, able to type with it, etc. It was never good, though.

I'm thinking I may have to just fiddle around with it and try different positions until it just clicks. And practice more...my mentor rannie told me it took him YEARS of practice to get his classic palm good, so I'm not in any rush.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Using the Magic Café Search engine, I found the following topics on the Classic Palm.

Master the Classic Palm in three easy steps.

Classic Palm

Thumb and first finger together for classic palm

Overweight and the Classic Palm

Classic Palm Muscle Development - how often to exercise?

Classic palm, alright Rannie...

Getting frustrated with the classic palm

Classic Palm Problems

Classic palm DVDs

Classic palm help

Tips on my Classic Palm

How long to Classic Palm

Sweaty Palms and Classic Palm

How many coins can you classic palm?

How to load a stack of coins into classic palm in secret

Classic Palm Timing

Playing Instruments Helps Classic Palm?

Classic Palm Suggestions

Developing classic palm

Advice on classic palm and hand maintenance

Classic Palm Deep

Can't do a classic palm

Classic Palm

Classic palm combo

Can you classic palm half dollars?

Classic Palm + Edge Palm

Dropping from classic palm

Muscle pass & Classic Palm

Problems With Classic Palm

Classic palm: to curl, or not to curl?

One at time release from multiple classic palm

How To Destroy Your Classic Palm!

One place not to practice your classic palm....

Steal three coins silently into classic palm

Is Classic Palm going out of style?

My classic palm. I'm doomed!

Telegraphing my classic palm

Coin roll with a coin in Classic palm

Multiple Classic Palm Release

Golly, my classic coin palm is really awful!

Need Help and Advice on Classic Palm

Classic palm

Just Can't Classic Palm

Classic Palm

Help with the classic palm

classic palm retention

Classic Palm Question
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL