The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Canvas covered box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Does anyone have any info on this Illusion? I havent seen it done in a while. I have veiwed the Mark Wilson performance. I have also seen Scott Alexander perform it. Has anyone done this and if so how was the reaction I am pretty sure I know the workings of this by veiwing the Wilson performance.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Denny Haney from Baltimore, MD is the master. Scott used to work for Denny, so I assume that's where he learned it.
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
I saw the Spencers perform it a number of years ago. It was very impressive and received a strong response from the audience.
The downside is the time involved in lacing it up, etc. however, using audience members to assist in the action helps move the time along as well as adds to the mystery.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Billy Bishop and Ann use to do this also.You might try to get a hold of a book written about him by his son Glen or try to look up Glen Bishop. Good Luck
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I agree with Pepka nobody does it any better than Denny.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I performed the illusion for about 5 years. I made a full act of it, with a presentation built around an attempt to outdo Houdini on the 50th anniversary of his death. (Cheeky, I know, but it made for a dramatic presentation.) I even had the box "built" by audience members prior to the start of the show and, when possible, put the box on display for the rest of the audience to examine afterwards.

I performed the illusion in all sorts of venues: on a proscenium stage; surrounded in the middle of a hotel ballroom; on the gymnasium floor of a minimum-security prison; and even in a 13,000+ seat indoor stadium. At the risk of appearing immodest, the audience reaction was always exceptionally strong. I chalk that up at least 50% to the illusion itself--it's that good.

The first time I performed it was in October, 1976. I was part of a local IBM show, and also on the bill was Andre Kole. I closed the first act and Andre was the entire second act. During the intermission, as my assistant and I were striking the props, Andre came up to us and said that our performance of the illusion was one of the best he had ever seen. I was only 20 years old and Andre was one of my magic idols (and he still is), so needless to say I was on cloud nine for weeks.

Heck, my memory of that moment 32 year later still puts a smile on my face. Smile
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Thanks so much for all the information, and by the way Donal, I just sent you a message. Again thanks so much guys.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Denny did teach it to me.
I think he might have one for sale at his shop.

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Canvas covered box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL